• Interesting finds.  But it is from a French Government Website.  I never trust the government, yet alone some foreign one.

Some Germans also claim that the Holocaust never happened.  Now if the German government were to release such a statement would anyone believe it?  Of course not.

In every history book I have, the unoccupied part is called Vichy France.

Just because the French government wants to change history does not mean that the past suddenly changes.

• Thats good research, but the victors and the world really make this determination in the final analysis. That is purely semantics because the real article finds then as Vichy France by what the world at that time used as its reference to France. Perhaps only a few used “the french state” but again i appeal to the history of these times and 99.9999999% of them were using Vichy France. I don’t plan on rewriting History to suit some document that shows one article when a billions others say “Vichy” i say “Vichy” as well.

And perhaps the french should not have signed an armistice in that train because it didn’t reference them as “the french state”  I think thats the french way of saving face for a total humiliation and hopelessness of their situation.  If i ever even thought of another term to use for them it would be " unoccupied france"

• Winners write History :)

I only researched this because I’ve done some postgraduate studies on political science and the matter discussed brought my curiosity. According to the university site mentioned above the armstice was legally signed by the 3rd Republic, as Pétain had been legally empossed as the Prime Minister on the 16th of June. He then used his powers to form the French State.

And, like the law proposal mentions, even in France they prefer to refer to the French State as Vichy (it does not mention that the proposal was approved, so most likely it was rejected).

• Customizer

If you use “Vichy France” then you must also use “Nazi Germany” on the same principle, as that’s what 99% of histories refer to that state as.

Also, if the rest of the world calls America “Yankee land” does that become it’s official name regardless of the southern states objections?

Winners write history sure enough, but in 1940-42 Vichy France was on the winning side and Free France was a few diehard exiles.  I use the term Vichy France quite freely to determine the state I’m talking about, but it doesn’t make it correct to label a map with it, certainly not for 1939. We all use the term “America” but I’ve yet to see the USA so labeled on a map.

• If you use “Vichy France” then you must also use “Nazi Germany” on the same principle, as that’s what 99% of histories refer to that state as.

That is not a relevant analogy. During the war and in published books and documents they never related to “nazi germany” while they did relate to Vichy france and not this stupid “the french state”

please look at a map of the period and come back.

but in 1940-42 Vichy France was on the winning side and Free France was a few diehard exiles.  I use the term Vichy France quite freely to determine the state I’m talking about, but it doesn’t make it correct to label a map with it, certainly not for 1939. We all use the term “America” but I’ve yet to see the USA so labeled on a map.

Clearly more drivel… USA had never surrendered and reestablished her capital in Vichy.

If you look at Yugoslavia after 1941 it ceased to exist. It was turned into Serbia, Croatia, and Montenegro with the balance of territory given to Axis minor allies and Italy as concessions. And NOW look at it. Do you still call it Yugoslavia???  NO YOU DONT!!  and the reason is because it was divided by the victors and they write History. Losers never write history…

The frogs have no say in what they are called… they were conquered peoples. Because the “free- french” which represented another party not related to Vichy france was on the American side it has no bearing on this. They rejected Vichy as defeatist, while Vichy was content to help the Germans any way they could.

Your mixing apples and oranges.

• Other than the Vichy France thing, is there anything else really that important.  I think I am at the point were I am done with the map.

• can you repost latest file?? and email me original? Id like to print it out and play.

also where are the rules?

• @Imperious:

can you repost latest file?? and email me original? Id like to print it out and play.

also where are the rules?

That should not be a problem to repost the latest file.  When I get some free time I will upload it.

As for the rules, I am still typing them up.  Should have a good handle on those soon.  Very similar to traditional Axis and Allies rules.  So should be easy to understand.

As for set up charts.  I still have to find myself some free time to print the map out and figure out what the starting units should be to make the game balanced.

• If you make a copy of the map available i can provide some input on this.

• @Nuclear:

As for the rules, I am still typing them up.  Should have a good handle on those soon.  Very similar to traditional Axis and Allies rules.  So should be easy to understand.

So its going to be a standalone document?

If there aren’t many changes you can just reference LHTR. Saves you lots of time.

• @tekkyy:

@Nuclear:

So its going to be a standalone document?

If there aren’t many changes you can just reference LHTR. Saves you lots of time.

I never use LHTR Rules.  I am not a fan of those and perfer not to use them.

Ever since I got a new computer, a lot of my files have been scattered when I transfered them over.  The map file is 100% intact, the other things like rules and what not are in pieces all over the place.

There are cards, different values for units.  For example, tanks take 2 hits to destroy.  Elite Units with the use of black chip to indicate as such.  Italy is in the game, the convoy routes.  America’s Job to finance the war.  New use for AA Gun.  Nolonger AA Gun, but AA Unit.  Different order of conducting a turn.  Infantry can be built anywhere rule unless it is occupied area not of your color.

There are enough differences to warrant a complete new rule set.  Not to mention the addition of weather.

• These were some of the card ideas.  Ideally each player would draw one per turn.

Cards (Still to do)

Germans
    1. Hitler
    2. V2 Rocket
    3. Bismark (Effect: In one battle a battleship takes 3 hits to destory)
    4. Atlantic Wall
    5. Atomic Bomb
    6. Spain (Effect: Spain can join in on the war)
    7. Sweden (Effect: Swedem cam join in on the war)
    8. Paratroopers
    9. XXI Uboats (Effect: Increased Movement, immune to aircraft fire)
    10. Operation Sea-Lion

Italy
    1. Jet Aircraft
    2. Air Supplies (Effect: Bombers may transport up to 1 infantry)
    3. Industry Improvement (Effect: All units cost 1 IPC less)
    4. Mussolini (Effect: Still to be determined)
    5. Frogmen (Effect: One allied ship within the Medittearean Sea takes a hit.)
    6. Explosive Motor Boats (Effect: Auto 1 hit on any one ship. Card is one time use)

USSR
    1. Russian Winter
    2. Mobile Industrial Complex
    3. Massive Draft (Effects: All infantry only cost 2 IPCs)
    4. Trans-Siberian Railroad
    5. Lend Lease
    6. Stalin
    7. Battle of Stalingrad

UK/France
    1. Winston Churchill
    2. Montgomery
    3. Paratroopers
    4. Operation Market Garden
    5. Operation Overload
    6. Battle of Britain
    7. French Resistance
    8. Colonial Forces
    9. Charles de Gaulle
    10. Sonar

USA
    1. Atomic Bomb
    2. Superfortress
    3. Marines
    4. Patton
    5. Turkey (Effect: Can join in on the war)
    6. Paratroopers
    7. Long Range Aircraft
    8. Sonar
    9. Mass Production (Effect: All Tanks and Artillery cost 1 IPC less)
    10. Operation Overload

• Id say 3 more for Soviets and 4 more for Italy. get ideas from AARHE if you have too. Then they all have 10 choices.

• @Imperious:

Id say 3 more for Soviets and 4 more for Italy. get ideas from AARHE if you have too. Then they all have 10 choices.

Yes I could make them all have ten.  But I perfer to balance out the total cards for the Axis and the Allies to be even.  The cards are just meant to add a sense of randomness to the game, hence making it more dynamic.  Some sides will just run out of cards before other players do.  This in a sense adds strategy, as one may not want to play the cards right away since they do not know what the enemy has, and the fact that the person may still have more to draw.

• Wow, been sometime.  I have been busy with school.  I will see about updating this info when I get some free time.

• @Nuclear:

There is an option to play with cards.  These cards activate neutrals, and other abilities.  Here are just 2 of the many that I have created:

The cards are nice.

I wish they did this for the N/As in the game - much easier to keep track of who is using what at any given time.

• Anyhow, now that college is coming to an end for the semester, I shall have time to test out the map and come up with a set up sheet and all.  It is a good thing I work at a business where there is a big ploting machine, so I can print maps from it at little to no cost.

Anyhow back to the point.  Plan on testing it out hopefully, and finding a balance which makes the game fun to play.

• @Imperious:

If you make a copy of the map available i can provide some input on this.

Check the message that I sent you on the forum.

• I like those card options. I was thinking on how one to use the card driven game machanic for A&A.

I’m not sure if anyone here has played a CDG before like “Paths of Glory WW1”, “Barbarosa to Berlin WW2”, “The Napoleonic wars” or “Sword of Rome”. But, everthing you do is based on the cards in your hand. If you want to move a unit you have to use a card. When you battle, cards in your hand may give you an advantage. There are event cards that reflect what happened in history but the time there are played may not be historical. There are  respond cards that negate or cancel a previous played card.

Cards act as resources and you have to manage them well, because, once you are out of them you may be in trouble. The geneal idea is that you can’t do everything you want in one turn. Like, “Do I activate this army to attack a key city or do I use the event to gain an advantage the next turn”. Things like that.

I’ll post some additional ideas later.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m