More Details on Axis & Allies Guadalcanal

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

Looks like the setup is on the board like the last two games. I don’t think the airbase strips are there though. They must go in the dotted lines when you build them. There are no supply chips in this mockup either. I also see no cruisers curiously. It doesn’t look like they have all the elements of the game together here. Very cool though. Who wouldn’t want the super big mockup board with no creases to use for play?

the white boxes are the airstrips arn’t they?

• I believe that airstrips are actual plastic pieces. You put them in the dotted lines when you build them.

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

I believe that airstrips are actual plastic pieces. You put them in the dotted lines when you build them.

I guess cardboard tokens, in concrete-grey

• guys these airstrips are found in the other picture on BBG. look closely…its cardboard.

AH doesn’t make anything made of plastic if they can avoid it unless its Avalon Hills Nexus Woops ( where money is no object for mediocrity)… it was hard enough just to get a new plastic cruiser unit. And i bet some bloke probably considered telling Larry Harris… " do you think we can just get away from it and use one of the other battleship pieces from revised as the new cruiser piece?"

• I have real problems with some of those airstrip locations, especially on Choisel and Santa Isabel.  I HAVE flown over those islands, and they are volcanic mountain tops above water.  There are NO FLAT AREAS for airstrips, unless you are planning of moving a couple of cubic miles of rock.  The airstrip for Choisel that I landed on was located on a small coral island off of the southern tip, and the island was just wide enough for the airstrip and some coconut palms.  It was surrounded by coral reefs, and was reached only by small boats.  Santa Isabel does not even have that.  You could set up a small floatplane base on the coast, but that is it.  The Segi area strip is another problem.  It never stops raining there.  The strip we built in WW2 has been abandoned as unusable.  An airstrip on Malaitia!  What have the map makers been drinking, smoking, injecting, or snorting.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS, AND BEARS NO REMOTE ACCURACY TO THE CAMPAIGN.  IF LARRY PUTS HIS NAME ON THE RULES OR GAME, HE SHOULD BE EMBRASSED BEYOND BELIEF.

Do some reading and research on the Japanese side of the campaign for goodness sake.  They had MAJOR problems building airfields.  Malatia is still malarial infested, which keep the Japanese out to begin with.

If the game comes out this way, I will still get if for the maps and ships, but do a major rewrite on the rules for airstrip location, and maybe a lot else.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Where did you find this? I would like to repost it.

@Admiral_Thrawn:

Have you guys seen this picture from Gen Con!

• I found it at boardgamegeek.com

• What I want to know is why no one at AH could say on the boards there that the game didn’t get demoed because it isn’t ready? That there is no news about it because it isn’t done and that it was moved to Nov. because it wasn’t going to be ready in September. I guess they’d rather we complain about no news than why it is late.  :|

• Customizer

Delays can be good or bad news.

On the one hand at least it suggests that they’re taking the trouble to get everything right rather than bunging out a flawed product - something very common in the videogames industry.

Or it might mean that the game is fatally flawed and needs a major re-write to make it marketable.

The solution is obvious - open up the development process to message boards so that the likes of us can input ideas and point out flaws BEFORE the game goes into the production process.

Instead of which we get a wall of silence as though we’re all going to steal the idea and market it ourselves.  Now who here would do that…?

• The strip WE built in WW2

HUH??? WTF

Timeover51…. how old are you?
    you got to be like 85 years old?

• @Imperious:

The strip WE built in WW2

HUH??? WTF

Timeover51…. how old are you?
    you got to be like 85 years old?

The “we” was used to indicate that the strip was built by the US, not that I worked on it.  I have flown over in during the 15 day period that I was in the Solomon Islands in May of 2002.  I am 55 years old, and have been fascinated by the Solomons Campaign since 1962.  If you wish to know what I was doing in the Solomons in May of 2002, watch the National Geographic TV special, The Search for PT-109, and look for the guy who talks about the Tokyo Express and identifies the wreck.  One of my other activities while out there was explaining to the Solomon Islands government as to how to safely dispose of a unexploded US 2,000 pound bomb dropped near the Vila airstrip on Kolumbangara that had be dug up and was 300 yards away from a boarding school.

• I belive they put playability before historicall correctnes, but I sure appreciate some link to the real world too.

• Customizer

Link to simplified Solomons map:

http://www.maps-pacific.com/graphics/solomon-islands.gif

So, how does the board compare with this?

• looks all good to me. western province looks a tad bit too south. but not noteworthy. I like the board.

• Haven’t heard much lately about Guadalcanal. November 16th is only 55 Days or less than 2 months away…

• you will get some press release from funagain games soon. Avalon hill will tell us about it a few months after its already out.

• Just in case anyone has missed it here is a link to the an article that larry wrote at Avalon Hill’s website.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20071023a

• Here is a cool ad for guadalcanal.

pic261634_md[1].jpg

• it should have read at the bottom:  Caution: Cruisers may not be colored correctly because we have no quality control personnel available at this time.

• @Imperious:

it should have read at the bottom:  Caution: Cruisers may not be colored correctly because we have no quality control personnel available at this time.

In any game AH made they put a “bug”!

I am wondering if they make so intentionally!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m