Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback, ill have more options on the next pics for borders and such. Ill have more options for the Capitals as well, what I need to do is make a separate image to show how they will all look with one look or another, what may look great on one thing, not so much on another at times.

Maybe just the star? After the islands are done, probably Friday, ill move onto US. Im actually looking forward to painting Africa for some reason.

This weekend though ill post some pics of options, and a few progress pics as well.

• '16

This is incredible. I love the new approach to making capital territories stand out more.

Have you given any thought to adding new territories? I really do like the thought to add the Azores and Canaries, but I’d love to see other additions as well. Perhaps dividing Indochina into Cochinchina and Tonkin? Also dividing Thailand into Isan and Isthmus of Kra?

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Trenacker:

This is incredible. I love the new approach to making capital territories stand out more.

Have you given any thought to adding new territories? I really do like the thought to add the Azores and Canaries, but I’d love to see other additions as well. Perhaps dividing Indochina into Cochinchina and Tonkin? Also dividing Thailand into Isan and Isthmus of Kra?

Thanks for the comment!

In this version, im sticking to OOB. I am interested however in a modded version for those interested. I don’t want one for myself, but with my file, it will be easy to edit. Once this is done, ill start a new thread, for a modded version. In addition, to this version, I have plans for 3 paint schemes.

As for the map progress, the islands are done, sorry for the lack of pics. Ive been trying to get the card deck done, which is finally is, and will be available tomorrow. Also, been working on getting the facilities tooled…which is underway. (the cad is underway, not the tooling yet)

• Very nice so far - I’m keeping a close eye on this project!

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks DK!

Sorry the updates have been scarce, im having issues with the file being so big. Every so often, photoshop will freeze up, and the file being so large, it needs save as a large doc in photoshop (not the standard .psd) which takes like 10 min…. so saving often takes forever, and not saving is risky.

I have broken down the project into separate mini projects, but then I have other issues lol. Needless to say, project is not as easy as it should be.

• '16

Sired, you’re using Photoshop, I take it?

Is there any mapping tutorial you found useful, or was it all just trial and error?

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Trenacker:

Sired, you’re using Photoshop, I take it?

Is there any mapping tutorial you found useful, or was it all just trial and error?

Ya, photoshop…. I have 20 years with photoshop, 8 years of 3d game design, ive painted many 3d game terrains. It is different painting in a 3d program vs photoshop, but I was able to kinda set up painting in photoshop to mimic a 3d application. I have many plugins that are for 3d model texturing, which are helping out in this project as well.

• '16

That’s awesome! I really look forward to seeing the result!

• '17 '16 Customizer

going to do a test print, then do a quick setup, a side by side difference of Europe. Europe is still unpainted, but I want to make sure no more edits are needed before. Also, ill be able to see borders better, make sure I didn’t miss or goof up anything.

• Save it in such a way that you can make custom maps from the base map.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Finally got around to taping it together. Obviously I still need to paint terrain, but needed to make sure the new size worked well, which I think it does. I setup the units the same on both sides, same as in the same location in a country as well. There was no need for a full setup to see its way better in proportion.

I printed a few in color, just for fun.

Also with a full print, I can now sit with the game board and really look for errors in borders and such, will be way easier the looking on a screen, also I can just draw all over this where needed for notes.

Also, it looks like 2 images, but the paper map is actually over the OOB map, side by side. So to compare is “real time” I guess you can say.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Nice!

• Looking good - I’ve found it’s a trick to enlarge Europe and the Med without ending up with a badly deformed Africa - you have to really walk a line there…it really helps the immersion to have fairly accurate continent shapes…

• Can you take more time tracing the continental outlines so they match better? Its important that the land areas perfectly match as well as the sea zones. I notice a tendency to “round out” the forms in that picture. All the jagged data of the coastline needs to be transposed accurately, you may even consider drawing the continents from actual maps and fitting them together after enlarging them.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice to see more progress on this map! What font did you use for the country names? It seems very close to the actual font used.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the comments!

I think Africa looks great, im painting that now!

I admit my lines suck, I just drew them fast, over laping, etc. didn’t matter. What look good on screen needs to be tested live, which is what this was for, do the units fit better, or not, where more improvements can be made… im happy with the fitments, I do have a few adjustment I would like to make, then I can finalize the lines.

As I start painting, I spend more time on the actual lines of the continent, no worries :)

As for the fonts, ill have to look, the number font and name font are different, and they are both licensed fonts, so will cost 25 bucks or so.

• Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Imperious:

Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

That’s for sure not what I use, not saying that’s not it, im using ……B---- something T, ill look. If gothic works, then cool, its free.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Imperious:

Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

Unfortuntaly the fonts used on the 1940 maps for either country names or seazone numbers aren’t close to Franklin Gothic Heavy.

• ?? Download any of my maps and check it out. It can’t be true.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m