• I’ve played many a game of A&A, Europe, Pacific, and Revised. A core group of my fiends get together every so often
    and play one of the actual board games. (In fact, I am the only one of us to even play Triple A.)
    After playing online I have told them of the benefits of saving games, playing by email, variety of games, no cleanup etc.
    Not one of them appears interested in playing in these ways. To a man, they say its about getting to together,
    feeling the pieces and seeing the entire board, and lastly the dice. Rolling real dice and the teasing and torment related to doing so.
    I agree with much of it, but I must say the digital game has benefits that outweigh those. I mean we can still gather and drink a few
    beers and play on screen, save the game if needed and continue play at our leisure. (And no dice fights, you know when you are accused of sliding, not rolling the dice, lol.)

Anyway, which is your favorite way to play? And why?

• I play a hybrid.

I use my game board and thus feel the pieces, etc.  And I trash talk and make comments in my games

But I have to use an online dicey for online play.

The only thing I lack is seeing my opponents face when I do the unexpected…  :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

It is not that hard to go hybrid.  If you play face to face you could play for 5 rounds say, and then if you are out of time you could transpose the board to mapping util and finish the game online or something like that.

• Face to face, eye to eye.

I’d rather spend time moving around and talking to people than staring at a screen.

Besides, it’s a lot easier to pop a few red chips on the board in real life than it is to rewrite a game history for a computer program.

• Face to face.  No question.  I have designed a position-recorder that is graphically very nice and allows us to study up in between sessions, so multi-session games are the norm.

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

WTF is a position recorder?  A digital camera on-a-stick ???  :-P

• Ha ha.  :-D  It’s a map where you can mark down your forces.  I’ll post a link in an hour or two.

~Josh

• Face to Face is the way to go.  You get to see the whole board and read your opponents reactions.  Besides trash talk is much more fun when the person is across the board from you.

• 2007 AAR League

@OutsideLime:

Ha ha.  :-D   It’s a map where you can mark down your forces.  I’ll post a link in an hour or two.

~Josh

tick, tick, tick ……

• @Baghdaddy:

@OutsideLime:

Ha ha.  :-D   It’s a map where you can mark down your forces.  I’ll post a link in an hour or two.

~Josh

tick, tick, tick ……

or not…

• Face to face is better.

But like EVERYTHING in life, there are Pros and Cons, or trade offs.

It’s still way better rolling the dice yourself, and taunting.  Moving the pieces adds to the commander feeling (“Go kill UKRAINE!”)

I am lucky to have a local player group and a big board for the pieces.  The smaller map wouldn’t be quite as appealing, IMHO.

• I agree with the fact that there is nothing like pushing a HUGE stack right next Russia. (Or Germany)
    I guess maybe saving the game in digital form would satisfy all of my group. We cannot leave the game set up
    on my dining room table, wifey would go for it!

• 2007 AAR League

Outside Lime, how do you use this sheet to record the current board state?  Doesn’t the starting setup that is already printed on the chart get in the way of recording this information?  Wouldn’t a blank map be better for this task?  (By the way, that’s a really nice looking map you use.)

• I have blank ones in grayscale that I keep beside the board, and I write on em in shorthand.  Then I adjust to match it with the pretty icons in Adobe Illustrator and print it 11x17 in full colour.  I’ll link to a blank version when I get a chance.

~Josh

PS - Can’t take credit for most of the map, I ripped it off online somewhere, don’t even remember from who.  I adjusted the colours and created the unit icons and surrounding information layout.  But thanks anyway!

• 2007 AAR League

tick, tick, tick

:-D

BTW, the starting position map is nice but the blank one would be cool.

• They are both a good time but watching your buddy spill his tenth beer all over himself while he flips the board in the air after rolling a few 666’s at 3 am can’t be beat!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m