• Fig can pick between a plane or ground naval piece ?

• @SS-GEN said in SS GEN's 1941 Global War Game:

So you want the or saying fig should be
    AD@5 and can kill a plane with no bonus ?
    Who determines the hit ? I maybe gettin this confused.
    Yes I can make Stg bomber also have to wait after first round for DF @1. Makes sense.

If Strategic bomber get no DF bonus, I’m all ok with this because it was not their main purpose. Fighter were chasing them, not the other way around,

Yes, Fighter hit at 5 or less AND opponent must pick a plane as casualty, if any available. Of course, if there is none, he choose any unit remaining in combat.

This is the idea. Fighter cannot get a double hit but hit harder on aircraft.

Cruiser and BB remain dual purpose, as they have a lot of hardpoints with turrets for ships or aircrafts. It makes sense they can get a bonus hit on plane.

• @baron-Münchhausen
    OK. My concern is with fig hitting plane first if available being to strong. This would make air suppority a bit to strong. I get what your saying but that’s a big change. I’ll have to test that.

I don’t believe every fig was just fighting fighters in war. Could see if this works
    AD@5 + roll 3 or less get a bonus plane kill.
    Got to watch this because I’ve seen normal battles where one side kills more planes than other. The Axis have the advantage in early rounds too. This would make Russia weaker based on Moscow battles. Russia needs those figs to stay in combat rounds longer.
    As far as testing or playing more or less right now it works great based on ya u kill more planes but it doesn’t over power it to one side where they controlling air.

@baron-Münchhausen
    OK. My concern is with fig hitting plane first if available being to strong. This would make air suppority a bit to strong. I get what your saying but that’s a big change. I’ll have to test that.

I don’t believe every fig was just fighting fighters in war. Could see if this works
    AD@5 + roll 3 or less get a bonus plane kill.
    Got to watch this because I’ve seen normal battles where one side kills more planes than other. The Axis have the advantage in early rounds too. This would make Russia weaker based on Moscow battles. Russia needs those figs to stay in combat rounds longer.
    As far as testing or playing more or less right now it works great based on ya u kill more planes but it doesn’t over power it to one side where they controlling air.

Thanks for sharing your gaming and HR developer experience SS.
    Air dominance with such Fighter is a challenge. I see.

I bolded the main topics I want to comment.

My concerns is about the double hit from DF bonus.
    From a depictive POV, it seems less adequate to give this double hit to Fighter units. (Warships shoot both naval and air. TacBombers can bomb landing fields, or be part of dogfight, etc.)

What would happen if Fighter becomes cheaper and weaker?
    Fighter Cost 6
    AD@4 (+ roll 4 or less) you may assign hit on aircraft (owner’s chose aircraft type).

Same cost as Tank (A6 D6 C6, right?) which have better attack and defense factor.
    Tactical, in that case: C8 AD@6, @1 or less, get a bonus aircraft hit.

There is two other factors to mitigate the Air dominance:
    AAA cost and soaking capacity.
    Air retreat, especially for aircraft on defense.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Baron I see where you might be going with this fig AD@5 but no plane bonus kill.
    I tested a ground battle and what I saw was when figs had hits the tac bombers were taken due to hitting on 4 after first turn and saving figs is more important and also while this was going on, first round Tacs got there pick hits then mostly rest of rounds as figs where killing the Tacs and not ground while the ground pieces where having there own battle with a tac hit here or there until they were gone. I did this battle.
    Attacker
    4 Inf
    4 Art
    4 Tanks
    4 Tacs
    4 Figs
    same for defender.
    The attacker won battle mostly based on
    attacking figs rolling better the first 2 rounds and defending ground had more misses.
    Odds are defender wins battle barely.
    1 Art
    2 Tanks
    3 Figs

I will have to test naval combats because more figs mostly. Oh but the Cruiser !
    By taking the Tac/Dive bombers is like what really happened in war
    based on figs going after them.
    I think that Tac/Dive Bomber should get bonus plane kill @1 after first turn after dropping payload though so balance it a bit more for Dog Fighting.

Edit
    Did another battle. Defender won with 1 Art 1 Tank left.
    Attacker had 3 figs against 3 Art and 1 Tank for 2 rounds of battle.
    With Tacs being the plane casualties early this helps Russia but then can
    The Germans afford to lose those Tacs early rounds when they need there planes
    to take Moscow but then If Germany goes more fig buys that’s gonna hurt Russia more.
    Russia needs those Figs against German ground every round.
    This is gonna take some huge testing which ain’t gonna happen soon and I’ll have to test this my self by using all 3 Scenarios with 3 different piece values and record the outcomes.
    Moscow I think can defend it self finally with LL and Tankograd builds or at least
    when Germany takes Moscow but have not a stack in Moscow where now Russia can counter and take back. It did happen last game but allies took a turn to long to get Paris back so Germany had just enough planes to hold Moscow and Paris.

No allies allowed in Russia in game and we got it now where Russia can counter for Moscow. Still have to see if the battle of Kurst will happen.

• Another thing thinking of is now with this the Inf is not that strong against Figs.
    I can see the Fig going down to AD@4 because if you have figs in a battle the Inf is taken as the casualty first and by the time Fig attack ground the Inf will be gone and now fig is were I feel it should be. But when we tested this fig AD@4 it was to weak according to the guys play Pacific. But also some said a fig shouldn’t get to kill a BB. BB would get normal hit and ship aa @1. So now that makes it better for ship defense.

Baron I see where you might be going with this fig AD@5 but no plane bonus kill.
    I tested a ground battle and what I saw was when figs had hits the tac bombers were taken due to hitting on 4 after first turn and saving figs is more important and also while this was going on, first round Tacs got there pick hits then mostly rest of rounds as figs where killing the Tacs and not ground while the ground pieces where having there own battle with a tac hit here or there until they were gone. I did this battle.
    Attacker
    4 Inf
    4 Art
    4 Tanks
    4 Tacs
    4 Figs
    same for defender.
    The attacker won battle mostly based on
    attacking figs rolling better the first 2 rounds and defending ground had more misses.
    Odds are defender wins battle barely.
    1 Art
    2 Tanks
    3 Figs

I will have to test naval combats because more figs mostly. Oh but the Cruiser !
    By taking the Tac/Dive bombers is like what really happened in war
    based on figs going after them.
    I think that Tac/Dive Bomber should get bonus plane kill @1 after first turn after dropping payload though so balance it a bit more for Dog Fighting.

I pretty like the way you are doing the play tests as a proof of concept viability. No need to play for real, but just trying a few plausible combats between ground and air or naval and air units.

According to your depiction of this battle, it seems to put Tacbomber at a disadvantage round after round. I would feel better and find it simpler to give the bonus DF on a 1 roll, since the beginning of round 1.

Maybe, in this case we are talking, TcB need to be lowered to @5 after first round (instead of @4) to keep them efficient against ground units.

• @baron-Münchhausen
    Ya maybe. I do know the German Tac ace killed 40 tanks just with his guns. But is @5 to strong for rest of countries based on history ?
    You meant raise the tac bomber To @5 ?

Another thing thinking of is now with this the Inf is not that strong against Figs.
    I can see the Fig going down to AD@4 because if you have figs in a battle the Inf is taken as the casualty first and by the time Fig attack ground the Inf will be gone and now fig is were I feel it should be. But when we tested this fig AD@4 it was to weak according to the guys play Pacific. But also some said a fig shouldn’t get to kill a BB. BB would get normal hit and ship aa @1. So now that makes it better for ship defense.

Another cue from my long ago playtests is when Carrier have at least the same defense factor than aircraft, then people loose aircraft before carrier.
    It is less strange than long battle which finish with Battleship against fighter.

• @baron-Münchhausen said in SS GEN's 1941 Global War Game:

@SS-GEN said in SS GEN's 1941 Global War Game:

Another thing thinking of is now with this the Inf is not that strong against Figs.

Another cue from my long ago playtests is when Carrier have at least the same defense factor than aircraft, then people loose aircraft before carrier.
    It is less strange than long battle which finish with Battleship against fighter.

We seen more AC casualties based on plane kills

• '17 '16

@baron-Münchhausen
    Ya maybe. I do know the German Tac ace killed 40 tanks just with his guns. But is @5 to strong for rest of countries based on history ?
    You meant raise the tac bomber To @5 ?

I’m strictly talking within the framework suggested a few post before, and tried by you. Between Fighter and TacB, if Fg are @5 chasing planes, seems fair to give TcB (are they at same cost?) @5 as a regular roll.

• Yes all planes cost 8 icps. Tac @5 when ?
    I like the pick target first turn

Yes all planes cost 8 icps. Tac @5 when ?
    I like the pick target first turn

Is it the balance issue, pick target @5 seems high, even if just first round?

• @baron-Münchhausen
    Not for balance. They were decent on accuracy then only used there guns after dropping payloads
    It’s pick @6 for now

• '17 '16

@baron-Münchhausen
    Not for balance. They were decent on accuracy then only used there guns after dropping payloads

I see.
    With my own HR, I played TacB picking ground target each round with @6 (3 on D6).
    It was well countered by fighters @4 (2 on D6).
    Most of the time, there was not that much hit with TcBs but I was playing with smaller scale game: 1942.2 or AA50.

G40 Germany’s and Japan’s larger fleet of TcB might have a greater impact.

• @baron-Münchhausen
    I think every round is to strong. They only had 1 torpedo or bomb. Some 2 but once they drop it based on turn one where they ain’t gonna wait then just guns AD

• '17 '16

@baron-Münchhausen
    I think every round is to strong. They only had 1 torpedo or bomb. Some 2 but once they drop it based on turn one where they ain’t gonna wait then just guns AD

From my tests with smaller scale board game, not an issue.

Also, I tend to give capacities according to a season time frame of many sorties. Each combat round, can be seen as a whole week or 2 weeks of combat. So there is many loading ordnance, lift-off, drop-off and dogfight, landing, reloading.

So, a double hit from a DF bonus roll is seen, on my behalf, as the way you describe. In a week, both ground and dofgfight occur and TcB squadrons won both.

• @baron-Münchhausen
    Right that’s why I have rest of stuff with bonus plane kills for all scenarios in a battle
    Nobody gonna play air surppotity

• Ok. I replied before rest of your post

@baron-Münchhausen
    Right that’s why I have rest of stuff with bonus plane kills for all scenarios in a battle
    Nobody gonna play air surppotity

This one was about which quote?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m