• I know that this question depends heavily on the current state of Russia and how well Japan is doing in the Pacific but I’d just like to hear from some more experienced players and learn about some unique situations.

• '19 '17 '16

Liberating Paris slows the Allies down. If the US hold Normanby and Southern France they can be producing 6 units/turn. Then suddenly if they take Paris, they can’t place units there that turn. Mitigated a bit if the UK take Paris, but still, the following turn you only have the income the French can collect to spend. To hold it, you pretty much need to take WGermany every turn to stop units being produced there.

I think these limitations are the source of the KIF strategy.

• @simon33:

Then suddenly if they (US) take Paris, they can’t place units there that turn.

…… you only have the income the French can collect to spend

…and on top of that, the newly mobilized French units cant add to the US attack on Germany.

• It really depends on what else is going on around the board.

Obviously, taking and holding France means the Allies are advancing in western Europe, and have a new power building units there and unlock the income of the remaining French territories on the board, so in isolation it does represent a major accomplishment by the Allies.

On the other hand, as long as Germany holds Western Germany it hasn’t been seriously impaired, so it’s not by any means a death sentence. It could be that in order to achieve the liberation, the Allies chose to be weaker throughout the entire map, losing strategic territories and handing a win to Japan.

• So have any of you found it more or less beneficial to have France producing troops and being even of a small effort? I’m really interested in whether France as a nation is actually an important factor in this game. I’d always just assume that making France was more of an interesting idea and was never actually a nation that was meant to be played, even during late stages of the game.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

It’s not.  Liberating France is kind of dangerous, because the Germans just take the income right back.  Also, it throws the “status” off all of france’s territory the UK and US liberated, so they lose the income, give it to France, and Germany takes it back.

It is nice to get some NO’s and some unusual milestones.  The key appears to be invading Spain–so your US transports can head home for a second load.

Once france is down, time is short for Germany, not because of the France thing, but because if you cant defend france, you also couldn’t defend w Germany.

• I only liberate France once the allies have established a strong foothold in Europe. By this point, the U.S. has held and built in Normandy and Southern France for several turns. The British have kept landing, were repelled and landed again and again, in Holland, forcing the axis to commit troops it can’t replace. There might even be a U.S. MIC in Greece. Once that’s all in place, I like the U.S. to liberate France immediately prior to the British assaulting West Germany. By this point, the clock is really ticking for Germany with Russia knocking on the door from the east. Granted, this if the allies successfully wage the long game and you’re not playing for victory cities. When ready, Germany gets attacked by Russia, the U.S., then British, and the final blow is dealt by France, and it’s kinda nice to see them get the last laugh.

• I think taking Paris, holding it, then reinforcing it can really mess up Germany. If you can’t hold it you’re just giving Germany free money. I’ve managed to take it once as the Allies via taking spain, but we lost in the Pacific.

• @Boondock:

this if the allies successfully wage the long game and you’re not playing for victory cities.

i’m confused, why would you not go for victory cities?

• It’s always bothered me how liberating France sets the allies back. US/UK losing the IC’s in Normandy & S.France as well as any liberated French territories. Seems to me the liberation of France should be something the allies really want to achieve!

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

One game I am playing now is liberating France seems to help putting Germany in danger….just make sure Allies have enough troops to liberate and hold France  so Germany cannot take it right away and steal its income.  IMHO whether France is a nation that was meant to be played depends on your Allies strategy.

• '15 '14

The question should be: What if France is liberated and can’t immediately taken back?

If this is the case this is a big achievement for the Allies in case the can get the French to produce units.

However this does not mean that the game is over then. I have seen several Axis wins after a temporary liberation of France.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m