What happens if you SAVE your money G1?

• 2007 AAR League

I guess it’s a cool wow factor but by Turn 2 German needs to show their cards with this strategy anyway.

1. England still needs to prepare for Sea lion
    2. Russia still needs to plan for Barbarossa (really what else can do but prepare until attacked anyway  :-D )

I always thought the CV purchase (only played a few games actually) is to protect the fleet in SZ 112.
    Just by having a CV does not require you to do Sea lion; I think you still have a lot of options/routes and at least your fleet is protected for only $16

If you purchase 3 SS on turn 1 for SZ 112 your not doing Sea lion turn 3… Turn 4? (how big is Russia at this point?)

I know people don’t like scripted first turns…but UK is pretty well stuck with 9 Inf UK1 and the other allies are pretty well scripted?
    A Germany 1 CV just gives you a lot of options still.

Japan is by far the more interesting Axis with options in my opinion.

• Well a CV’s real use is to protect surface ships.  If you plan to go with Barbarossa, then why build the CV?  You can spend G1 and G2 money on land units (10 ART, 5 TANK, 5 MECH) and forget about the CV, while still forcing UK to build 9 INF on UK1 - or alternatively if the UK player doesn’t build the INF, whack him with Sealion.

• 2007 AAR League

a Cv, 2 trn turn 1 can still transport troops to Norway to Leningrad or just do a decent re-supply later on in the war against Russia.
    The CV and any extra naval purchases later can then join up with Italy/keep UK income/ships down.

Again Japan needs to be doing a good job for the Axis to win anyway.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You know, 1 Airbase is cheaper than a carrier and provides 3 extra fighters for defense…if we are not putting out fleet that is.  Norway seems like a good place for one.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@shadowguidex:

Well a CV’s real use is to protect surface ships.  If you plan to go with Barbarossa, then why build the CV?  You can spend G1 and G2 money on land units (10 ART, 5 TANK, 5 MECH) and forget about the CV, while still forcing UK to build 9 INF on UK1 - or alternatively if the UK player doesn’t build the INF, whack him with Sealion.

Because it’s added defense in SZ 91 allowing you to slow the Americans a bit more before Italy is threatened.

• '12

@shadowguidex:

Well a CV’s real use is to protect surface ships.  If you plan to go with Barbarossa, then why build the CV?  You can spend G1 and G2 money on land units (10 ART, 5 TANK, 5 MECH) and forget about the CV, while still forcing UK to build 9 INF on UK1 - or alternatively if the UK player doesn’t build the INF, whack him with Sealion.

You are right, the advantage to buying the CV, DD, and Transport on G1 is that it forces the UK to buy all inf on its first turn and pulls its resources away from the med… if you hold onto your money G1, the UK STILL Has to do that!  If UK does a defense buy you save the fleet money and go all in on Barbarossa.  If they don’t beef up defense and buy ships, go all in on Sea Lion.

I just do not see any down side to holding the money with Germany on G1.

• I’ve held my money several times. It’s effective if the UK ends up spending foolishly since you can have all you need for Sealion by G3 anyway and they are stuck at 10 buys a turn for England. If they do spend well, you can spend it all on ground troops and planes.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Why can’t I do a turn 3 sea lion with 3 subs in the first turn?

12 saved + 68 with germany is 80. That is 10 transports and an extra fighter of turn 2 purchases. Never did the count, by why would that not be enough?

The UK at that time can scramble 3 planes against a battleship, cruiser,  plus say a bomber and a fighter. If the UK builds ships, the subs can take care of it.

@NoMercy:

I guess it’s a cool wow factor but by Turn 2 German needs to show their cards with this strategy anyway.

1. England still needs to prepare for Sea lion
    2. Russia still needs to plan for Barbarossa (really what else can do but prepare until attacked anyway  :-D )

I always thought the CV purchase (only played a few games actually) is to protect the fleet in SZ 112.
    Just by having a CV does not require you to do Sea lion; I think you still have a lot of options/routes and at least your fleet is protected for only $16

If you purchase 3 SS on turn 1 for SZ 112 your not doing Sea lion turn 3… Turn 4? (how big is Russia at this point?)

I know people don’t like scripted first turns…but UK is pretty well stuck with 9 Inf UK1 and the other allies are pretty well scripted?
    A Germany 1 CV just gives you a lot of options still.

Japan is by far the more interesting Axis with options in my opinion.

• 2007 AAR League

I won’t go into too much detail; this thread is about saving G1 money

Which in turn the short answer pretty much nothing; I don’t think it makes Germany react to Russia or UK as suggested by a lot of people during this thread; I think it just means you wait 1 more turn to see what Germany will do; nothing more nothing less.

It can create risk on the small off-chance depending on what your G1 attacks are and how poorly they go but that’s the dice.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m