Ramdas Vaidyanathan has a new move called "Ram's Mahatma Gambit" -

• Hello again, Mein Herr,

Long story short, I think this works wonders if catching the Japanese off guard. IMHO, it looks like a cunning part of a KJF strategy for the allies, bringing hell to Japan as early as possible but only once against each Japanese player that doesn’t know of this already. As they say: “Once bitten, twice shy.”

Three remarks I have:
    1. (This counts for a lot of people here on the forums) allies denying Japan to load its TRS is indeed a known (and loathed as gamey) move. Nonetheless I think we all accept that the allies can do it and won’t burn any opponent from trying ;-).
    So all in all I think the strategy will only work once (and wonderfully at that), versus an unsuspecting opponent. Any1 falling into this trap twice is somehow just not ‘twice shy’. I dare you to use your own processing power to think of possible Japanese countermeasures once he knows of this ploy and doesn’t want to accept the gambit while still being able to take the DEI J4 (or at least, most of it).

2. Like I said before, it looks like being very effective as part of a KJF strategy but if that’s not what you are planning, I’m afraid Japan will indeed be hindered (if they step into the trap), but nothing major. The allies also must follow through this ploy or else its only effect is to delay Japan 1 turn (again, IF it falls for it). Obviously Mahatma won’t survive a J1. I’d say He can partially hinder a J2 because of the blockers but that greatly depends on where Japan places their TRS and if Japan DOWs both the UK+ANZAC and the USA at the same time. If unsuspected, J3 will be FUBAR for Japan because of the ANZAC2 DOW but J4 is again just as Always. Note that Japan will not be at war with the USA if the ANZAC DOWs, so Japan will still have their 10IPCs from USA to compensate and still can take Hong Kong as well J3.

3. As sad as it is, everything the allies do early on in the game, comes at a price elsewhere.
    That has always been my major concern with KJF(-like) strategies: Germany can have its way in Europe. KJF strategies typically cost the allies Moscow, which is a huge gambit as well. Also, gambling with the (Indian) UK fleet if Japan does not J1 (and without any further KJF) may result in a mid game Japan convoying the Bay of Bengal (for as long as India still lives), Persian Gulf, Azanean Sea, Mozambique Channel, Cape Basin, Gulf of Guinea (off the Nigerian coast) and even the Brazilian coast. I learned that the hard way, so I prefer to retreat the UK ships to keep them alive and reinforce them a bit (from SA) in order to prevent this.

Since the Japanese TRS loads from turn 3 typically are meant for taking the DEI + reinforcing Carolines (i.e. all forces needed for its evil plans in Asia are already in place), I don’t think its progress in Asia suffers a lot. In a J4, the Japanese land/air forces are typically aimed at Russia + China already. India is kept in check by the IJAF, the factory built in Shanghai (I believe it is) and the IJN (loaded TRS reach Calcutta a lot faster than the Gurka’s on land if they move out eastwards).

All in all I like the idea and I think it will make a KJF that much better but I also recognise the dangers for the allies so I wouldn’t call it the allied life-changer we’ve all been waiting for! My honest thoughts about it.

• @ItIsILeClerc:

Hello again, Mein Herr,

Long story short, I think this works wonders if catching the Japanese off guard. IMHO, it looks like a cunning part of a KJF strategy for the allies, bringing hell to Japan as early as possible but only once against each Japanese player that doesn’t know of this already. As they say: “Once bitten, twice shy.”

Three remarks I have:
    1. (This counts for a lot of people here on the forums) allies denying Japan to load its TRS is indeed a known (and loathed as gamey) move. Nonetheless I think we all accept that the allies can do it and won’t burn any opponent from trying ;-).
    So all in all I think the strategy will only work once (and wonderfully at that), versus an unsuspecting opponent. Any1 falling into this trap twice is somehow just not ‘twice shy’. I dare you to use your own processing power to think of possible Japanese countermeasures once he knows of this ploy and doesn’t want to accept the gambit while still being able to take the DEI J4 (or at least, most of it).

2. Like I said before, it looks like being very effective as part of a KJF strategy but if that’s not what you are planning, I’m afraid Japan will indeed be hindered (if they step into the trap), but nothing major. The allies also must follow through this ploy or else its only effect is to delay Japan 1 turn (again, IF it falls for it). Obviously Mahatma won’t survive a J1. I’d say He can partially hinder a J2 because of the blockers but that greatly depends on where Japan places their TRS and if Japan DOWs both the UK+ANZAC and the USA at the same time. If unsuspected, J3 will be FUBAR for Japan because of the ANZAC2 DOW but J4 is again just as Always. Note that Japan will not be at war with the USA if the ANZAC DOWs, so Japan will still have their 10IPCs from USA to compensate and still can take Hong Kong as well J3.

3. As sad as it is, everything the allies do early on in the game, comes at a price elsewhere.
    That has always been my major concern with KJF(-like) strategies: Germany can have its way in Europe. KJF strategies typically cost the allies Moscow, which is a huge gambit as well. Also, gambling with the (Indian) UK fleet if Japan does not J1 (and without any further KJF) may result in a mid game Japan convoying the Bay of Bengal (for as long as India still lives), Persian Gulf, Azanean Sea, Mozambique Channel, Cape Basin, Gulf of Guinea (off the Nigerian coast) and even the Brazilian coast. I learned that the hard way, so I prefer to retreat the UK ships to keep them alive and reinforce them a bit (from SA) in order to prevent this.

Since the Japanese TRS loads from turn 3 typically are meant for taking the DEI + reinforcing Carolines (i.e. all forces needed for its evil plans in Asia are already in place), I don’t think its progress in Asia suffers a lot. In a J4, the Japanese land/air forces are typically aimed at Russia + China already. India is kept in check by the IJAF, the factory built in Shanghai (I believe it is) and the IJN (loaded TRS reach Calcutta a lot faster than the Gurka’s on land if they move out eastwards).

All in all I like the idea and I think it will make a KJF that much better but I also recognise the dangers for the allies so I wouldn’t call it the allied life-changer we’ve all been waiting for! My honest thoughts about it.

I agree, it would work best in a KJF, but if USA is going Europe, then this would be a speed bump for Japan.  The russian armies can easily be isolated since Japan can deadzone manchuria like a boss without much worry.  Losing korea to russia is no big deal since Japan would almost always convoy it into the ground.

• Hi ItIsILeClerc,

Thank you for your comments.

On #2 , If Japan DOWs on either ANZAC or UK or US, its automatically on all Western Allies…. so the US DD automatically becomes a blocker.

Now, lets go over this plan, assuming Japan “knows” about TMG and MIFF. Assume J1 strike is not in the plans for Japan.

USSR1 => The F  or F+TB move East, one of the signs of impending TMG. their movement only upto Tinguska and not all the way to Yensei is so that should TMG NOT be played, they can return to Moscow on USSR2 . Hence participate in anything that ensues there from R3 Air Base. It also affects German play! All 18 INF + 2 AAA  ( + any bonus Tank/Art) in Buryatia.  Should Allies NOT play TMG, this stack can reach Moscow on R7… if it starts moving West from USSR2.

J1 => Player realises TMG is a possibility at this point.
    BUY: Since TMG is only a possibility, will it affect its buy?!  Already, Japan may have to take this into account!?! Which buy will be the most optimum against TMG?
    COMBAT: Usual  Yunnan and Hunan combat ensues.
    NON-COMBAT:
    A)Again, here Japan has to now take into account TMG . Usual move is to move troops to Kiangsu/Kiangsi /Kwangsi. Will it then keep TRs together or separate… unloaded or loaded??? Should they still be loaded, and TMG is not played, then these are troops NOT fighting in China. 
    B) Also, it telegraphs W. Allies to prepare for a J2 strike.  Maybe they will not play a TMG.  Already Japanese play is affected.
    C) What about playing heavy Naval Movement to Carolines and bring 1 TR.  That is one less TR transporting troops to China!
    D) 2-3 CVs in Carolines  means Sumatra , Malaya and possibly Java might not get the full wrath of a J2 strike.

At end of J1 - Let us suppose they have 2 TR off Kiangsi and 1 TR of Kwangsi  … or… 3 TR off Kiangsi … or take any combination of TRs in SZ 19,20 or 36… or … stretch… 37 (1 TR can reach there… 2 Inf off Siam available). Also let us suppose Japan decides not to do heavy Carolines, not waste a TR movement there on J1.

Also let us suppose it moves Manchuria troops to Jehol,  some Korea troops to Manchuria.  Or some combination of this. This is a standard J1 move.
    Or uses its TRs to take Inf+ AAA+ Art from Manchuria or Korea .

Also let us suppose it moves majority of aircraft  South… to either Kiangsu, Kiangsi or… stretch  Kwangsi.  Again this is a standard J1 move too.

Assume ALLIES confer and decide to try TMG.
    This can be done at this point, and does not have to be planned out ahead of time  ( except the Soviet moves… to keep option alive).

TMG with KJF  or just TMG  ?!  It depends on what success and builds Germany has had so far.

And UK1 , ANZAC 1 and US 1 accordingly played.

Taranto successful? or Tobruk Successful?

UK CRU in India can go to SUMATRA with TR for protection of TR as well as to help do a MIFF+

USSR2 => Moves the Soviet 20 to Amur

J2 =>
    Japan is looking nervously at the Soviet Stack. If it does not have the manpower to kill it without too many losses, it’ll be a headache. Also a strike on it releases the 6 Mongolians.
    If it does go after this USSR stack in Amur, then simultaneous J2 strike against Western Allies will not be effective.
    If it does not kill it, and just do a J2 strike on W. Allies… it has to contend with KJF.

What is the US1 build?  2 CVs + TR in Pacific, DD in Atlantic?!!  Or CV+BB+ TR in Pacific…DD in Atlantic?

If US 1 build is BIG in Pacific, Japan MUST re-consider J2 strike.

If no J2 strike, how can it prepare for a J3 strike? And avoid MIFF?!!

BUY => Affected!
    A)  If it buys more than 1 TR… UK BB should come to SZ 6 for MIFF  .  yep… the Mahatma will sip Sake and eat Sushi with the Emperor of Japan  :evil:  ( He was a teetotaler and strict vegetarian , for those who did not know)

NON-COMBAT:
    A) If more than 1 TR in SZ 19 , maybe Malaya DD might come there.  If 2+ either BB or DD will be there drinking Ale and eating Fish and Chips!  :roll:
    B) If J1 buy heavy on TR… and J2 buy heavy on TR… and J1 and J2 movement of TR is evenly placed on SZ 6, SZ 20 and SZ 19 or 36…  … then MIFF+  … the CRU will enjoy Devilled Eggs in HongKong.

You get the picture.

The Risk should be  commensurate to the possible punishment.
    After all this…. the ALLIES could still CALL OFF the MIFF , NOT declare war… and withdraw to safety to SZ 38 ( off Burma ) .  US Borneo Blocker to Malaya alone will suffice!!!

OR ALLIES CAN DEFER !!!  :-D

HOW TO DEFER:

If J2 preparation ( Buy and Non-Combat ) is such that TMG  looks good…. Japan does not do a J2 strike, but MIFF may NOT be very effective… and game on Europe side looks good for ALLIES, they can take chance with TMG and MIFF DEFERRED !!!

MIFF DEFERRED means , you Sacrifice the UK BB to the place MOST unloaded or Newly BOUGHT TRs are located.

The Mahatma , by his very presence radiating peace , keeps Japan from loading the TR on its J3 combat.  :-o

You also sacrifice the UK DD in the next most unloaded TR Seazone.

All else flee to safety off BURMA

US 2 BUY Heavy pacific - 2 CV + DD

UK 2 (India) - Still buys Tank+ 4 Mechs . Does NOT take Celebes. Brings TR with 1 Inf or 2 Inf back to Shan State.  Shan State is stacked with TROOPs, awaiting J3.
    ANZAC 2 - Depending on  Caroline force , has $14 to buy…

USSR 3 -  Hits Manchuria or Korea if lightly defended. All depends on how much Japan keeps there to defend these territories.  If odds are such , that one strafe can kill majority of the units… BUT NOT ALL - then strike and retreat Back to AMUR.  Use planes wisely.  If heavily defended… wait. Do NOT strike!!!

J3  - Attack… ?  if so who!!! and where…  gets too complicated from here on.

Typically, unless Japan builds a Minor IC on Asia on J1 ,  It has a total of 6 Inf+ 2 Art in Ahnwe , 2 I + Art in Chahar  , usually 2 I+ A in Hunan , and whatever it transports on J1.

A usual J1 buy of 3 TR can be loaded with what is on Japan in the beginning of the game.

Should the 18 Soviet Inf start marching East, Japan usually starts “borrowing” from Korea/Manchuria. This is a tremendous boon for Japan.

TMG and MIFF takes these advantages away.

Hope you enjoyed reading this!

• If you are a Chess player or are aware of moves, consider this :

TMG  = Queen Sacrifice to achieve Zugzwang !!!

The UK BB is the Queen, sacrificed to COMPEL the Japanese player to make a move, any move… that will weaken him  :)

• Another thing to remember is that UK Pacific buys should be only Mechs or Mechs + Tanks for first 3-4 turns…  Mobility is important…
    UK T3/4 a Fighter buy might help.

ANZAC T1 buy , if a fighter… ( should no Japanese navy show up on Carolines on J1) … will be in AHNWE on turn 4

The key Fulcrum for the W. Allies in Asia  is Yunnan!!!

Shan State must not fall on J2 or J3 DOW.

Yunnan must not fall once UK takes it.

For that, the 3 ANZAC fighters + 3 UK India planes and 3 AAA are crucial.

And fast moving Mechs and Tanks ( with or without Gurkhas or Chandits)  :wink: are essential.

Once the Chinese start putting Inf to consolidate… and start getting their Yunnan bonus… in a turn or 2 , AHNWE will fall.

Once Ahnwe falls and is held… with a combo if China+ UK+ USSR? troops… Japan has to pay a heavy price to dislodge that force.

• @ItIsILeClerc:

1. (This counts for a lot of people here on the forums) allies denying Japan to load its TRS is indeed a known (and loathed as gamey) move.

Can someone explain this to me in very simple terms? I’ve seen this mentioned before but am still a bit confuzzled by it…

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@MeinHerr:

If you are a Chess player or are aware of moves, consider this :

The UK BB is the Queen, sacrificed to COMPEL the Japanese player to make a move, any move… that will weaken him  :)

As a pretty highly rated FIDE player, your comparison, while compelling, isn’t really relevant.  First of all, Zugzwang means that any move that you make weakens your position (short story: to the point of losing).  Japan has lots of board moves that aren’t losing, but instead still keep troops moving forward.  Secondly, you might be making a queen sacrifice, but I don’t see the 9 pawns worth of compensation….

Japan can simply move the transports out of the Sea of Japan during the combat move, and move them back during non-com and unload in Korea (or further south depending on your shuttle – you could throw down a harbor and still be able to hit some of the islands next turn), while building several more.  Sure, it does slightly slow down the troop movements, but I will make up for that in future turns – the battleship is COMPLETELY FREE (any dented Japanese BB will heal next turn).

That BB is so much more valuable in later rounds either in the Pacific or to help support Africa/Med.  You are simply wasting it in this scenario, and having to make an unprovoked declaration to boot.  And I’m not even thinking of all of the other possible responses, but those should suffice for now.

Also, keeping the Russian troops east sure does help out the European Axis…

• Question:  Can Germany and Japan wait till turn 4 to declare war on USA/USSR… and will that help them immensely in winning the game?

Answer before TMG : Yes!

Answer after TMG : Maybe…??!

Explanation: If TMG is declined, and it is combined with a KJF strategy, and unless Japan takes countermeasures ( that weaken it) …  Germany may take Moscow on G6… if Soviets play well… G7
    BUT!!!  They still need to take that elusive 8th Victory City!!! Unless Italy took Egypt earlier… or unless Germany can either take Egypt or London by G8 or G9  ( possible , but hard) for the Euopean victory…  It will be game over in Pacific!

Why?

Because If Japan declines TMG… and does not play exactly to avoid MIFF… with KJF  ( Massive US Pacific buys) … ANZAC and UK India surging… China taking its Bonus every turn… Tokyo will  fall by US 8 or US 9 .

I hope people understand this important detail!

If IJN  ( Japanese Navy)  is sitting and convoying India… and Madagascar and Persia…  i hate to say this… Tokyo will fall earlier!

Japan without DEI and with a resurgent China is a very very poor country.

Allied strategy with TMG and MIFF played correctly… COUNTERS the much talked about Axis advantage.

• @TheMethuselah:

@ItIsILeClerc:

1. (This counts for a lot of people here on the forums) allies denying Japan to load its TRS is indeed a known (and loathed as gamey) move.

Can someone explain this to me in very simple terms? I’ve seen this mentioned before but am still a bit confuzzled by it…

I can try to explain it with an example (assuming you know the rules regarding this):
    Japan does not DOW and gathers its TRS in some key sea areas, ready to load them next turn for a series of invasions.
    The UK moves a few ships into these key locations and let ANZAC make a DOW. Now Japan is at war with UK as well and during its next turn, cannot load its TRS (hostile SZ because of the UK ships there).

@ MeinHerr:
    Japan has the freedom to DOW either ANZAC + UK (as a whole, no choice there) or USA or both.
    Often players forget this and get burned somehow because Japan can abuse this.
    If Japan DOWs ANZAC + UK, it is not at war with the USA. The USA may ofc DOW Japan in its own turn after that.

Furthermore you seem to focus on J4G4 domination countered with KJF. Truth be told, Japan being in trouble is then because the KJF nature of the allied strategy and not so much because of the Queen-sacrifice, but I 'll admit the latter still is a pain in the $$$. I have to agree with Disney that it’s not to the extend of a ‘Zugzwang’.

With a true KJF I don’t think Japan is going to convoy the hell out of the UK. The few occasions I have seen a KJF Japan went like evasive, bent on just staying alive and not to be reduced to be making < 40 IPCs/turn. Germany just runs rampant getting to >100IPCs/turn (bye bye Moscow) and Italy gets close to 30/turn. So combined axis, with a KJF, the axis can still be making ~170 IPCs/turn. With Moscow dead but dominating the pacific, the allies make ~160IPCs/turn max.
    Because now London and Egypt are in grave danger (if Egypt is not already taken, which is game over, ofc), the USA cannot afford to spend in the Pacific any longer and so if Japan kept the IJN alive and very big (which I believe they can) it can slowly start to recover.

• Thank you, LeClerc, that makes sense now. Definitely gamey, but good to be aware of next time I play Japan :)

• Hi ItIsLeClerc and everyone following this topic:

Before i go on… I have 2 questions to all you & all the folks following this topic:

1. Do you think The Mahatma Gambit changes the bid that Axis offers Allies?

2. IF SO, WHAT IS THE BID YOU THINK IS CORRECT? Please include what you thought before… and what you would offer now.  Please keep in mind , the bid money is very likely going to USSR in Far East.

Now… the answers to this question , will speak for itself.

Thanks

• Before i go on… I have 2 questions to all you & all the folks following this topic:

1. Do you think The Hoss Cartwright Gambit changes the bid that Axis offers Allies?

2. IF SO, WHAT IS THE BID YOU THINK IS CORRECT? Please include what you thought before… and what you would offer now.  Please keep in mind , the bid money is very likely going to USSR in Far East.

Now… the answers to this question , will speak for itself.

Thanks

• Hello,

@ ItIsILeClerc  : Thank you very much for the rule clarification. This means small changes have to be made, but the general idea is still unharmed.

@ DizzKneeLand33 : Kudos for being a FIDE player.

Chess is chess and A&A is A&A.  I was making an analogy. It is hard to do such a thing in 2 different games… but with a little imagination… I think yes.

The BB is the most expensive piece on the board, analogous to the Queen  ( of course the movements are a completely diff issue)

You want the 9 pawns in compensation…

Well these are 9 islands (analogous to the 9 pawns ) that The Mahatma Gambit  helps, by stifling Japanese attack on them before they happen, which may otherwise happen on J3 attack:

1. Java
    2. Sumatra
    3. Celebes
    4. Borneo
    5. Phillippines
    6. Hawaii
    7. Ceylon
    8. Dutch New Guinea
    9. Midway

So yes… there is a point to be made regarding that analogy.

Now as far as the Zugzwang… if one fails to use the imagination… and adheres strictly to definitions… may not seem relevant.

However… look at the turmoil it causes… ( should Japan NOT kill the BB on J2 strike)

Churchill freaked out when he learnt the Bismark is on the loose in the Atlantic , when the UK ships lost track of it.

What would Japan’s reaction be , then a full BB can go forth from a Naval Base in Hong Kong.

Every transport unless it has a fully loaded CV escort is vulnerable!!!

The Japanese J2 BUY, if it has multiple transports… can be blocked from being loaded!!

The TRs in Manchuria are in a dilemma…  if they end their movement , and load troops on the TRs… these troops may not be available in Manchuria or Korea for defense, should USSR come in.

So… yes… with a little imagination… as hard as it may be… a Zugzwang can be envisioned.

Lastly:  This Gambit yes is a Loathed… gamey… move.  Maybe so…  But that alone is not the point.

The point is it COMBINES :

A) TIMING  :  … MIFF happens exactly before USSR attacks Manchuria and Korea.  Earlier KJF strategies always wrote off the Soviet20 … as they would be wiped out.  But MIFF allows the Soviet20 to get in…and get out… or get through!!!  Possibly unscathed!

B) COORDINATION : The UK BB+DD freeze  happens with help of ANZAC… main beneficiary is China

C) STRENGTH :  Soviet20 has the Mass of Soviet troops as its advantage. 3 ANZAC planes with a DD+CRU + TR with an ART+ INF  can hit a Strategic target.  UK combines Malaya Inf+ MECHs+  India Units + 3 UK planes + 3 AAA to thwart a Japanese strike.

finally

D) PSYCHOLOGY  : So far… the Allies always had to worry… when will Japan strike? The Japanese player was in control.  After The Mahatma Gambit is played , there are usually 2 outcomes as have been detailed before.  If Japan doe NOT do a J2 strike…  then  the Hunter becomes the Prey.  It is now the Japanese player who has to worry … when will the Allies strike?  !!!

As i have said before… there have been plenty of posts talking about Axis advantage… complaining about Never winning as an Allied player… whining and begging for huge bids for a fair play…NO MORE!

I have given Hope and ONE small way for the Allied players to get back on even terms.

• I did a Google search of this arbitarily renamed Move of mine….  cannot find anything by that term.

Can someone find a HOSS CARTWRIGHT GAMBIT anywhere…? Is so please show it here.  And what did it exactly do?

If it was around, how come NO ONE in this forum has ever discussed it?!

It is akin to plagiarism  to take someone’s idea and then sell to under a false/different name.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@MeinHerr:

I did a Google search of this arbitarily renamed Move of mine….  cannot find anything by that term.

Can someone find a HOSS CARTWRIGHT GAMBIT anywhere…? Is so please show it here.  And what did it exactly do?

If it was around, how come NO ONE in this forum has ever discussed it?!

I think we’ll need to ask Little Joe about that one….

• A few thoughts:

1. I have no problem referring to the move of UK bb to Honk Kong as the “Mahatma Gambit” [patent pending]. No need to be quite so obsessive about naming it, though.

2. The system of moves you’ve described is a subset of KJF in general. Since there are so many variables, I’d probably just call this simply “KJF” if I saw it played against me.

3. What if Japan declares war turn 1? That seems to invalidate the entire premise of the move, with the Malaya bb sunk before UK1.

4. The unfortunate reality is that the only real initiative the Allies have round 1 is with the Russians in Siberia and the British in the Med/Africa; everything else must necessarily be counterplays. In other words, you can’t plan on countering 1.e4 every game as Black; your opponent might do something else before you have a chance to act.

• '14 Customizer

@DizzKneeLand33:

@MeinHerr:

If you are a Chess player or are aware of moves, consider this :

As a pretty highly rated FIDE player, your comparison, while compelling, isn’t really relevant.  First of all, Zugzwang means that any move that you make weakens your position (short story: to the point of losing).  Japan has lots of board moves that aren’t losing, but instead still keep troops moving forward.  Secondly, you might be making a queen sacrifice, but I don’t see the 9 pawns worth of compensation….

Japan can simply move the transports out of the Sea of Japan during the combat move, and move them back during non-com and unload in Korea (or further south depending on your shuttle – you could throw down a harbor and still be able to hit some of the islands next turn), while building several more.  Sure, it does slightly slow down the troop movements, but I will make up for that in future turns – the battleship is COMPLETELY FREE (any dented Japanese BB will heal next turn).

That BB is so much more valuable in later rounds either in the Pacific or to help support Africa/Med.  You are simply wasting it in this scenario, and having to make an unprovoked declaration to boot.  And I’m not even thinking of all of the other possible responses, but those should suffice for now.

Also, keeping the Russian troops east sure does help out the European Axis…

I never knew you played Chess. We might have to play sometime ;)

• IMPORTANT - One is how to set a trap for Japan!

Before i go one, there is a good reason why the 3 ANZAC fighters be in Java, as well as the one lone surviving ANZAC Inf go to Shan State. It is to deny Japan - Malaya on J2.  Should Japan capture AND HOLD Malaya on J2 strike, India’s position becomes untenable.

In reply to 3 very important questions:

1. What happens if Japan does NOT strike on J2 or J3 ,  stacks Manchuria and Korea on J1 with troops from Japan and Chahar…. and  plays Perfect to avoid the pitfalls of MIFF and TMG?

ANSWER:  Good for Japan.  The UK BB with the Mahatma bids adieu to the Emperor of Japan on UK3 , and sails away to the East , preferably to Midway (SZ 25 )  or  (SZ 8 )the Aleutians. The US , if having building a Mega Navy can move in force to Midway and welcome the Mahatma with open arms  :roll:  . In case that is not the case, the BB becomes a blocker at Midway to a J4 attack. There are other possibilities too, but these seem the better options.
    So the BB can be “saved” … and look at it Psychologically… the UK BB on Turn 1 goes to HK, Turn 2 goes to Tokyo, on Turn 3 goes to Midway, unscathed… interesting.  But only… if Japan plays perfect to avoid TMG and MIFF .
    But remember  in doing so… they pretty much have lost in China already. The DEI is still in Allied hands, this is money Japan will need desperately and would already have had, but for escaping from TMG and MIFF.

1. What if Japan does J2 strike , in concert with Germany’s SeaLion… to divide US forces and win either in Europe or Pacific? The loss of the UK fleet on J2 will bring disaster to India.

ANSWER:  Interesting question. US must choose which side to win the game on for Allies.
    It goes after Japan, so it can choose!  Enough has been written about SeaLion and what the USSR does and the US response etc.
    All I can say is the US T1 buy is very important here for that decision to me made.  And it has to be made immediately after J2 strike… and US should not waver. Will leave it upto the players to calculate this one out.
    Now, J2 will not get Japan the DEI . They will come on the J3 move.  If Manchuria and or esp. Korea are “takable”… USSR must take them .
    After SeaLion, Moscow is not under threat for a long time. it can afford to even lose the planes.

If on J2 , Japan goes all out for Malaya, everything it has landed there (it can land max 6 troops, as it starts with 3 TRs)  will be killed by the UK Inf+Planes . Or if there are upto 3 troops surviving… the ANZAC Inf=3 FTR take them out.  This important for 2 reasons.  If Japanese planes land on Malaya on J3 , and IC goes on it on J4, India may fall by J6 or 7.

TRAP

If Japan tries to take Malaya and FAILS… it cannot take DEI for one more round at least , that is 15 IPC gain.  The reason is that , there are No  TR’s capable of reaching them, if they are all used in Malaya.

Important  The 3 UK - India planes MUST be in SHAN STATE at the end of UK1 and NOT E. India.
    Reason:  There is a slight chance that Japan could do a J3 India crush.  SO , if the 3 planes start from Shan State, they can kill Malaya  AND reach back to India to defend against the J3 attack.

LASTLY: If Japan is using all 3 TR for Malaya, fantastic!  The Chinese are off the Hook!  In this case, the UK 2 response would be to use the 4 Mechs ( UK1 buy) and 3 AAA to enter into Yunnan on UK3, forever keeping Yunnan for Allies.

1. Are the USSR fighters+ TB not vulnerable to Japanese Bombers if they are parked in the rear?

Yes they are.  And great care must be taken. In fact , it may be better, should the strength of Japan be on the higher side, to Land them in Buryatia with 1 AAA and 1 Inf.  I will take these odds against a Bomber strike at all times.  The 2 land units can become blockers, should the dice roll Japan’s way on a J2 strike against Amur.

Now that more or less all bases are covered, I would like to re-state that should Japan spend 2 more turns trying to take Malaya and DEI… with the US moving into Carolines… with the ANZAC  (that why the 1 fighter buy in ANZAC 1 … if safe is important!) … the Pacific will pretty much be an ALLIED VICTORY  ( Barring crazy dice rolls ) by ANZAC 10 max.… maybe much earlier depending on Japanese decisions .
      The TUV and IPC of the Allies by the end of round 4 will exceed that of Japan stupendously. Do not want to do into details… will let others do that… but as long as the Allies do not give Japan the 8th Victory City in Europe , by the end of round 9, the Allies should win… ( think US TRs + planes and Subs!!!  going via ALEUTIANS from US 5)

NOTE: In the past, games used to go 20+ rounds .  The benefit of The MAHATMA GAMBIT  ( TMG ) is that you set a timer on the game.  It will be decided one way or another by round 10.

So, you folks can give me credit… or not… it is your choice… but the game , IMHO has become much more exciting , even handed and  enjoyable!

Thank you,

Ramdas Vaidyanathan

• Last thought: *CAUTION *

Shan state is vulnerable by itself.  It will have 6 Inf + 3 UK F…+ possibly the Queensland ANZAC fighter… is brought in on ANZAC1.  It can land there. So 6 Inf + 4 planes… ( 28 Def Points + 10 pieces )

If Japan at end of J1  places Max planes in Kwangsi + 3 CVs off Hainan ,  keep UK planes in India/Burma… and ANZAC planes in Java.

As i have written earlier , TMG  is an optional move that allies can make at end of J1… before  US and UK go…    It does not always have to be played… !

• Should Japan UNLOAD… repeat UNLOAD  1-3 TR in Kwangsi at the end of J1… option of playing  the DOUBLE MAHATMA GAMBIT  ( DMG ) !

Where the DD goes to Kwangsi  ( SZ 36)  … and BB to Hong Kong !!!

Everything depends on how many Japanese  planes are landed in Kwangsi and how many loaded CVs are there.

Japan could do a fighter sweep.

Shan State is defended accordingly!

yes… i know this is tedious…… but looking at all possibilities here!

Cheers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m