• " On the turn that Germany takes Paris, or London, or declares war on Russia, Italy joins the Axis on the start of its turn" page 25 of 7.2 rulebook.  i would assume that in the case of Germany ignoring the western allies and going straight for Russia, Italy would only end up at war with Russia and not the rest of the Allies like Germany, i come to this conclusion because it says joins the axis, implying that Italy would be at war with anyone who is at war with the axis.  Italy being able to build up for a confrontation with Britain for many turns while also helping in the fight with Russia is key.  Italy can secure the Turkish straights and focus on the southern flank of Russia, allowing Germany to only attack in the North.  The question that is risen by this scenario is can the Axis attack strict neutrals without provoking the allies, and more importantly can they attack pro allied without consequence, because both Hungary and Bulgaria require the axis to hold Yugoslavia and Greece to attack.  This is an interesting prospect and i’m looking forward to trying it when i find reliable players.

• just side note for those who don’t have easy access to the map while they are posting or reading.  if Italy successfully captures turkey and gains access to the black sea they are only 1 territory away from both Stalingrad and Moscow.  That would spread the superior income of Russia quite thin, even if the Italian attack isn’t incredibly powerful initially.  The added benefit though is that Italy wouldn’t have a Russian navy to contend with so they could focus on a land invasion force.  Russia has 48 Ipcs not taking into account the money they would lose to Japan and Germany on the first turn.  Germany has 36 base just from the Axis minors, if Germany successfully conquers denmark and norway that would bump Germany up to 44 plus the income of karelia and leningrad which puts Germany to 48.  that’s not including any paratrooper drops you might do to secure your flanks.  I’d say this is an incredibly viable option.  The only shortfall is that russia can just start throwing infantry at you turn one, so while it may be viable it is certainly not going to be easy.

• @rohr94:

just side note for those who don’t have easy access to the map while they are posting or reading.  if Italy successfully captures turkey and gains access to the black sea they are only 1 territory away from both Stalingrad and Moscow.  That would spread the superior income of Russia quite thin, even if the Italian attack isn’t incredibly powerful initially.  The added benefit though is that Italy wouldn’t have a Russian navy to contend with so they could focus on a land invasion force.  Russia has 48 Ipcs not taking into account the money they would lose to Japan and Germany on the first turn.  Germany has 36 base just from the Axis minors, if Germany successfully conquers denmark and norway that would bump Germany up to 44 plus the income of karelia and leningrad which puts Germany to 48.  that’s not including any paratrooper drops you might do to secure your flanks.  I’d say this is an incredibly viable option.  The only shortfall is that russia can just start throwing infantry at you turn one, so while it may be viable it is certainly not going to be easy.

The issue is then, can you win the game by doing this?

• i’ll let you know when i try ahahaha.  in the mean time has anyone actually tried it?

• yes, but with Italy entering the war against all allies, the French took Rome, and Paris and Moscow fell the same turn. Warsaw fell a turn later. The allies still won.

• Does this mean that it is likely for the US to be at war with Germany & Italy before UK/France?

• @ghr2:

Does this mean that it is likely for the US to be at war with Germany & Italy before UK/France?

Yes

• Can the US use nuetral French territory to attack germany?

• Blitzkrig (german first attack) means you can attack twice in one turn.
    Does this include naval units?

• @sophiedog2:

yes, but with Italy entering the war against all allies, the French took Rome, and Paris and Moscow fell the same turn. Warsaw fell a turn later. The allies still won.

If Germany’s opening move is to attack Russia, Italy would join the axis and thus only be at war with whoever Germany is at war with.  Italy would not necessarily get murked.

• Naval units gain the benefit of Germany’s double move on the first turn.

• Tnx

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m