• Wow, just wow…
    Loosing that much of the luftwaffe and still be able to take Moscow. That’s what I call a damn good job!

Tbh, I always wanted to know if Moscow could be taken after a German (semi) Sea Lion set-up but turning east GE3, destroying an overeager Russian (moved to far forward RU2).
    Because destroying the entire Red Army (or at least 80% of it) is one thing, taking Moscow is another. I guess your game gives good hope that it can be done against an overeager Russian.
    1 such game is not enough to draw final conclusions I fear but still, nice to know. Thanks for sharing that experience  :-).

• Customizer

Oh yeah. I have found in most cases that when Russia stacks the border hoping to barrel into German territory, Germany can end up really turning it bad for Russia and Germany will usually have enough to take Moscow when they get there.
    The trick is to be able to stack your border with a lot of guys while simultaneously trying for Sealion. It is a little hard but not terribly so. The thing is you put a lot of infantry and maybe a few artillery. DO NOT get a lot of tanks and mechs the first couple of rounds or so. It has to be all the slow movers. That kind of tricks Russia into thinking you are simply trying to stack defense while dealing with England and they just have to build up enough to overwhelm your defensive measures.
    Then, the round before you begin your attack, you get tanks and mechs and drop them in Berlin. You should have 3 tanks that were originally based on the eastern border. Also, if Sealion falls through, the surviving tanks and mechs from France can go over to Yugoslavia. These can help with your Romania force, which will be hardest to supply from Berlin. The tanks and mechs you put in Berlin can support both the Slovakia and Poland forces. I usually try to send my bombers and other planes that can reach to help my Finland force.
    Then the next round, usually it’s round 4 for me, BAM! You invade Russia and wipe out the bulk of their forces. Usually you will kill a lot of infantry and most if not all of their artillery as they were preparing to attack you. If you are lucky, you might even get a tank or two.
    If the battles go well, you will have very strong forces in Karelia, Baltic States, E Poland and Bessarabia while leaving Russia with a fraction of their total force. Vyborg may present a problem depending on how Russia stacked her forces, but Leningrad and the Ukraine should fall fairly easily, giving you two shiny new minor ICs to support your drive east. Now you have strong forces in Novgorod, Belorus, Western Ukraine and Ukraine.
    By this time, Russia will be scrambling and buying all infantry to defend Moscow, but too little too late. Germany should be able to stage their bombers in E Poland and bomb the crap out of Moscow’s IC. If Italy has taken Greece, they can use their bomber to SBR the Stalingrad IC. Between repairing damaged factories and shrinking territory, Russia just won’t be able to buy too much defense for Moscow. In 2 more rounds, Germany should be able to overwhelm Moscow with the forces left from the original invasion plus a little extra from the Leningrad/Ukraine ICs and extra air flying in from Germany.
    I make it sound easy, but it still takes some doing. If Sealion fell through or was unsuccessful, Britain will still be active and trying to cause you troubles. The US could show up and cause problems. If they go too strong and Italy can’t handle them, it could definitely cause problems for you. That’s why I advocate starting the Russian invasion with a really big force so you don’t have to keep adding more. With any luck, most of your money can go to dealing with the US/UK while your original invasion force (with some padding) continues on into Russia.

• Just to get a complete picture:
    According to some earlier ‘studies’ I came to the conclusion that it is possible if Russia moves forward RU2,
    that GE3 can destroy them instead of doing Sea Lion (bad mistake, Stalin). Russia has to wait moving forward untill after GE3 went Sea Lion of course and it has to buy fast units for this RU2 (mostly MECH).
    This is possible even if GE1 or GE2 produced only land untis and invested ~70 IPCs into ships. The only question left for me, was if GE would subsequently be able to take Moscow as well. Apparently it can be done after this overeager Russian forward ‘gambit’.

Buying ships worth 2 complete rounds of production (total 98 IPCs) will  turn into a disaster for the axis if they also invade London. Almost single-handedly by the Russians! I’ve seen that too many times already to think GE can stop that.
    No info on the outcome if GE produces this quantity of ships and still forgegoes the attack on London, but it seems to me that Russia and the UK are only to blame for themselves if Moscow still falls after these course of events (too much ships for GE).

In my experience (and assuming Russia does not make the mentioned mistake), it is already impossible for GE to take Moscow after spending ~50 IPCs on ships. Heck, even if they spend 100% on land units dedicated to march onto Moscow (although Russia then requiring heavy aid from the western allies), but that should be in a different thread and let’s not forget the dice can still ruin both sides. Although Moscow has a huge advantage in the luck-table…

• Well, get a load of this game

Germany attacks London and the Russian’s forward stack in East Poland at the same time (out of necessity)
    Germany gets good dice and wins both battles, and Axis player resigns in round 4

• @Gamerman01:

Well, get a load of this game

Germany attacks London and the Russian’s forward stack in East Poland at the same time (out of necessity)
    Germany gets good dice and wins both battles, and Axis player resigns in round 4

NSW was in axis favor but barely, only 60%.

• IIRC about 8 battles all had to go the Axis way to win that game, and he got through about 6 of those hoops

To just look at NSW and say 60% is to really oversimplify the situation

• Wait, let me get this straight (I cannot read AAA-files)…

Germany WON both battles and still gave up (Axis resigned)?
    And out of curiousity: why was it a necessity to attack Russia? Eastern Europe otherwise completely undefendable?

• @ItIsILeClerc:

Wait, let me get this straight (I cannot read AAA-files)…

Germany WON both battles and still gave up (Axis resigned)?
    And out of curiousity: why was it a necessity to attack Russia? Eastern Europe otherwise completely undefendable?

Yes, you have it straight, Germany won both battles, but with only a tank remaining on London
    Eastern Europe was going to be a problem either way.  Too bad you can’t look at the file.  Maybe you should download Triple A?

• yeah I haven’t used AAA yet. I really prefer the board on the table with the plastic pieces and all. For filereading it might actually come in handy…

• Been trying to install TripleA but… nvm…

The installer automatically diappears/is removed from my desktop immediately after the download is completed without any form of inteaction. Repeatedly. Possibly a ‘feature’ of my security program but I don’t want to download anything with it turned off, so I guess too bad for AAA…

• Turn off the security program and download it again.  It’s safe.

Or download it from a different computer and transfer the file to your precious one  :wink:

• @Gamerman01:

IIRC about 8 battles all had to go the Axis way to win that game, and he got through about 6 of those hoops

To just look at NSW and say 60% is to really oversimplify the situation

I can understand that it was probably your only real chance at winning.  If things were too rough everywhere else, then I would of gone for it too.

• I was the Allies, in the driver’s seat  :-)

• @Gamerman01:

Turn off the security program and download it again.  It’s safe.

Or download it from a different computer and transfer the file to your precious one  :wink:

Yeeeessssss, my precioussssss ;-).

• '14 Customizer

Very interesting game.  I love the way you attacked Russia at the same time, lol

Although I don’t think I would try a sealion after watching Italy’s turn 1.  They got no hits in the first round of combat. Lost their entire air force and navy except 1 TR which was unguarded.  That would require more airpower from Germany to support Italy and there is no Italian bomber left to bomb Britain’s airbase. But I still think at this point you could pull it off just very risky based on Italy.

The major problem was when you had Japan declare war on the allies on turn 2.  I think keeping USA out of the game would have help you tremendously.

• Again, it wasn’t me.  I was the Allies.  :-)

• The Axis player was Wheatbeer, one of the most active league players.  He usually takes the Axis, and favors Sealion attacks.  He usually wins with the Axis.  He is currently ranked #1 in the 2014 league, and played in the 2013 league playoffs.

Indeed, he was 30-12 as Axis last year and is 12-3 with them this year.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m