Bought D Day Sealed, but there is no UK Blonde Units

• I also was looking for more UK infrantry and German infrantry and got samething you got. Also the blockhouses I have in 2 different colors too.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@CWO:

Photos of the blonde units from the original D-Day printing can be seen here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23386.0

I bought a copy of it back when it first came out: it had blonde British pieces, and the troop sculpts for all three nations were of the original early type.  A couple of months ago I bought a sealed second copy of D-Day (hoping to get more blonde British pieces), but I was surprised to run into the same situation J.B. has decribed.  The British pieces were in their current shade of tan, and the troop sculpts for all three nations were of the current “refreshed” type (which, I think, dates back to Anniversary or thereabouts).  One easy way to distinguish them is the bent elbow of the British infantryman, which is solid in the old type but has an open hole in the refreshed type.

So on the whole, I was disappointed with my second copy of D-Day.  At least it included those little blockhouse pieces, which are unique to the D-Day game.

Thanks for showing us the pictures. It is weird my 1999 Europe Axis and Allies UK pieces match the 2001 Pacific pieces, but in your pictures they don’t match. I guess they go with what ever color is available at the time.

• @John:

but in your pictures they don’t match.

Actually, I just provided a link to the thread in question.  The pictures and accompanying text are by knp7765, a fellow member of the Honourable Order of Piece Junkies.

@CWO:

@John:

Actually, I just provided a link to the thread in question.  The pictures and accompanying text are by knp7765, a fellow member of the Honourable Order of Piece Junkies.

Thanks for providing knp’s link. It helped seeing the color progression of the units. :-)

• These are the D-Day Uk set. Did have 1 bomber with set. 3 others got to be somewhere in bins.

UK D-Day set.jpg

@SS:

These are the D-Day Uk set. Did have 1 bomber with set. 3 others got to be somewhere in bins.

Holy cow, are these the white ones you were talking about or are these the UK Blonde?

• There the white ones.

• Is it possible that you’re both actually talking about the same pieces?  I know that when I got my original D-Day game, the designations I used to describe the British colour in my collection notes were “cream” originally and “ivory” later.  The term that eventually became popular on this board was “blonde”, but “white” is in the same ballpark.  Remember that plastic pieces can look quite different in colour when they’re photographed under incandescent light, fluorescent light, direct sunlight, or open shade.

• Ya I know. I can post a pick with all my UK units next to each other if you want. They look like an off white color to me. Maybe they are cream. You got pics of cream?

• These are my 4 UK infrantry that I have. So maybe I got cream then?

UK infrantry 003.jpg

• The four sculpts in your picture, going left to right, look to me like an early-vintage medium-tan sculpt (Milton Bradley, original Europe, orignal Pacific), a salmon/pink sculpt from (as I recall) Battle of the Bulge, a current-vintage light beige one, and an ivory/cream/blonde/white/whatever one from D-Day.  From memory, they look like a close match to my own sculpts.  When I get home tonight, I’ll try to take a few pictures of my D-Day British infantry pieces (under different lighting conditions for comparison, if I’m able) and I’ll post them tomorrow.

I looks like the UK Blonde ones that I was talking about, but it is hard to tell sometimes with lighting. Thanks for taking  a picture of it, and thanks CWO for showing me the threads on it. :-)

• Customizer

@Marc your comments as always seem to take the words right out of my mouth buddy! LOL. I must say though my friend considering how expensive those block houses are you still got a great deal.  :-D I did get a full set of bunkers on Ebay for a steal I think I shall never get again.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@John:

:-D  :-D  :-D Sooo True!

• Yes the first one on left is from the Pacific game.

@toblerone77:

@CWO:

@John:

�  but in your pictures they don’t match.

Actually, I just provided a link to the thread in question.�  The pictures and accompanying text are by knp7765, a fellow member of the Honourable Order of Piece Junkies.

:-D  :-D  :-D Sooo True!

I have 5000 pieces. Do I count as a junkie.

• Here are the four pictures I took last evening of the “blonde” (or cream or ivory or off-white) British infantry sculpt from the original printing of D-Day.  It’s the piece in the centre.  For colour comparison purposes, I placed it on a white 3x5 index card, with a Global 1940 light beige British infantry piece on the right and a stark white colonial infantry unit from War: Age of Imperialism on the left.  The four lighting conditions I used were: direct sunlight (first picture, top), open-shade daylight (first picture, bottom), fluorescent lighting (second picture, top) and electronic flash (second picture, bottom).  As you can see, the lighting greatly affects the apparent colour of the pieces.  Just in my own opinion, I’d say that the open-shade picture gives the most accurate rendition of the colours, and that the shot taken in fluorescent lighting is the least faithful one.

D-Day UK Sunlight and Open Shade.jpg
    D-Day UK Fluorescent and Flash.jpg

• Top picture looks like mine. So I have the cream color. Sorry about that John Brown. I thought they were white. Thanks CWO Marc.

• @SS:

I have 5000 pieces. Do I count as a junkie.

It certainly starts you off in the right direction.  :-)

@SS:

Top picture looks like mine. So I have the cream color. Sorry about that John Brown. I thought they were white. Thanks CWO Marc.

No problem man, I’m just glad I didn’t have to hunt for white ones as well, LOL. :-D

@CWO:

Here are the four pictures I took last evening of the “blonde” (or cream or ivory or off-white) British infantry sculpt from the original printing of D-Day.  It’s the piece in the centre.  For colour comparison purposes, I placed it on a white 3x5 index card, with a Global 1940 light beige British infantry piece on the right and a stark white colonial infantry unit from War: Age of Imperialism on the left.  The four lighting conditions I used were: direct sunlight (first picture, top), open-shade daylight (first picture, bottom), fluorescent lighting (second picture, top) and electronic flash (second picture, bottom).  As you can see, the lighting greatly affects the apparent colour of the pieces.  Just in my own opinion, I’d say that the open-shade picture gives the most accurate rendition of the colours, and that the shot taken in fluorescent lighting is the least faithful one.

Thanks for taking those pics. The lighting makes a huge difference!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m