Comments on Revised A&A (the physical game package)

• OK… have to post this (perhaps Avalon Hill is monitoring this board)…

First off, I really miss the old styrofoam holders for the game pieces.  In the new version, you get some non-reclosable plastic bags that once cut open leave all of the pieces to spill loose all over the place.  I have already taken some “sewing floss” boxes to put the pieces in (scavenged from some old D&D figure boxes), but these are too large to fit inside the main game box.

In Classic, at least the old Milton Bradley version, you had styrofoam holders with spaces for all of your peices, and the container was just the right size to be “covered” by the set-up card for the nation.  1 or 2 rubber bands to hold the set-up card on top of the container, and your peices stayed put.

Avalon Hill really needs to look at some sort of holder for the pieces in future releases of their game.

Second, the “cut” board instead of the old tri-fold but un-cut board is a bad idea.  A couple of accidental “wrong folds” and the game board will tear on the seams.  My old game board is 17 years old, and no problems.  The new one… I doubt it will be 2 years before I have to use duct tape on the back side to hold it together.  Cut game boards were a bad idea when they first hit the market with Trivial Pursuit, and should never have been continued.

And the board colors…  They talk about how the colors are now so “bold” and “distinct”.  Why then is UK baby blue and neutrals cornflower blue???  And why are all of the AA and IC’s gray (a shade lighter than germany, a shade less blue than UK) instead of WHITE like in the old game?  Never any question about WHITE pieces, so why not stick with it?

Sorry, had to vent.

• Um I actually really like the colors. To me it gives a sophisticated look with the darker colors as opposed to the brash colors of the old map. I agree that the wording about “bold” is odd, since the colors aren’t bold per se; I think of bold as flashy and light rather than dark.

I have no problems with storing the pieces in separate plastic ziploc bags in the box. I have a bag for each nationality, a bag for control markers/complex/AA guns, and a bag for the grey/red pieces. It works fine and fits inside the game box as long as I squeeze the air out of the bags reasonably.

I sorta agree with the tackiness of the cut-board thing, but just live with it and treat the game with respect =)

To me the main annoyance is not having enough chips and Japanese tanks. I run out of those extremely quickly….

• @trihero:

To me the main annoyance is not having enough chips and Japanese tanks. I run out of those extremely quickly….

That I am not worried about… I still have a 100% complete Classic set, so the only thing I might run short on are Destroyers and Artillery.  Gods knows I have more than enough Russian Battleships!  LOL

• 2007 AAR League

if you ever run out of chips, you can get teh for free from wizards of teh west coast =]. I did, so can you!!!

• if you ever run out of chips, you can get teh for free from wizards of teh west coast =]. I did, so can you!!!

What the hell how? I tried looking on their site but it says they do not offer replacement parts o_O

email them at customer service and tell them that you are running out of chips in gameplay and need more…

GG

btw this puts me on 1700 posts… Sanity what is that?

• email them at customer service and tell them that you are running out of chips in gameplay and need more…

Nope didn’t work. They emailed me back in about half an hour and told me they have no way to get replacements to customers but they’re “looking into it.”

• I didn’t get extra units, but I did get extra chips.

• LOOK GUYS: just goto gamblers wherehouse in vegas ( or visit their website and buy a cheap package of chips exactly like axis and allies) you get 100 chips in blue green black red gold yellow white for $2.50 for example the part number for red chips is #5311. No more posta about chips as you know where to buy them cheap. Enough!

http://www.gamblersgeneralstore.com/ call on phone ask for mini chips part number #5311 (red chips) i dont remember the part numbers for the other colors.

BTW stryofoam sucks. Plano boxes are the best buy them cheap at frys outpost.com

• @Imperious:

BTW stryofoam sucks. Plano boxes are the best buy them cheap at frys outpost.com

Yes, but at least they were sorting trays :-)

Plano boxes are more expensive for the same item than “Floss” boxes, available in craft stores and the craft section at Wally World.  usually about a buck and change each (can fit all pieces in 2 full sized, though I plan on doing 6 smaller boxes, 1 for each nation, and 1 for chips, dice, IC’s and AA)

• OK point taken BTW i just met Trihero 1 hour ago… anyway you can buy for 2.99 each box a nice plano with 8 compartments. The problem with this styofoam is if the box is turned over the pieces go everywhere. Plus im sure you own the other games, so you can combine all the pieces in a few plastic boxes. so spend 15.00 and have peace of mind. Heck i got over 25,000 peices and have them in dozens of boxes all plano but i use them for different hybrids of a and a.

• @Imperious:

The problem with this styofoam is if the box is turned over the pieces go everywhere.

That is solved by using 2 rubber bands and the placement card from the old AA Classic.  The card was just the right size to be used as a “top” for the styrofoam containers.

Could shake the snot out of the box and no pieces came out of their holders if you had good rubber bands :-)

• I too miss the old Styrofoam trays. I hadn’t had a copy for years and got one last year. Also, I agree, what the heck with Britain’s color? And there aren’t white chips, there are grey chips? huh? I liked not having to tear everything off a tree (and I don’t have to sand the bottom of the carriers so they’ll sit level enough for fighters to actually stay on them!). I also like the fact that all the pieces are personalized for each country (although it cuts out our old tech upgrade of heavy fighters - the US now uses that piece as a standard piece).

And yes, I run out of chips. Badly. We use the aircraft movement marker’s (WTF? As if we couldn’t count) and MOST of the marshalling markers (at the most we are using 2 or 3 per game), turned upside down as ‘white chips’. Also control markers turned upside down, if we have spares.

• well then just call that site i posted and get a million more chips mailed to you.

• Or, if you are like me, just raid chips (and extra Japan INF and ARM, something else I have run out of in the last 2 games I played) from your Milton Bradley Classic AA game.  Exactly the same size and style :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m