• @toblerone77:

Side note: in some editions my UK units looked damn near mocha colored but just not enough to make a seperate army at a dimley lit table.

I sometimes have trouble telling them apart too, depending on the lighting.  When I was reorganizing my sculpts recently, I took the darker tan British pieces from the older games and reassigned them to India.  Great Britain got to keep the lighter beige pieces from the more recent games.  This way, India ended up with less equipment-type diversity than Britain (no dive bombers or APCs, for instance) and it also ended up with older models (like the small-sized Royal Oak battleships) – kind of in the same way that the USMC sometimes gets hand-me-down older equipment from the US Army.

• Customizer

Lol

• Customizer

Yeah I’m trying to work Marines into the equation. I have some good ideas about it. It may not be for everyone. I’m really working at trying to come up with D6 rules for all these units from HBG and all the older editions of A&A. Russia especially, You’ve got the brown and the two shades of maroon. Then there’s Japan whoo boy LOL! Lot’s of good pieces.

• Customizer

@CWO:

I sometimes have trouble telling them apart too, depending on the lighting.  When I was reorganizing my sculpts recently, I took the darker tan British pieces from the older games and reassigned them to India.  Great Britain got to keep the lighter beige pieces from the more recent games.  This way, India ended up with less equipment-type diversity than Britain (no dive bombers or APCs, for instance) and it also ended up with older models (like the small-sized Royal Oak battleships) – kind of in the same way that the USMC sometimes gets hand-me-down older equipment from the US Army.

Or we stole em like the M1 Garands in GuadalCanal or Army vehicles in Marine “Amnesty” lots after Desert Storm.
    The deal was, you dropped off vehicles not in your TOE, no questions asked and you didn’t get in trouble or have
    to abandon usable equipment. The military is quite good about accountability during garrison but not as much during
    a SHTF situation.

Hows this for “uniform”

• @toblerone77:

Yeah I’m trying to work Marines into the equation. I have some good ideas about it. It may not be for everyone. I’m really working at trying to come up with D6 rules for all these units from HBG and all the older editions of A&A. Russia especially, You’ve got the brown and the two shades of maroon. Then there’s Japan whoo boy LOL! Lot’s of good pieces.

Yes, infantry shade variety is very useful.  I had lots of fun reassigning some of my infantry pieces when A&A WWI 1914 came out.  I’ve copied below my current arrangement – I hope the margins come out properly when I paste my list into this message.  A few of the choices may seems odd, most notably my selection for Thailand, but in some cases they were dictated by the wish to avoid putting WWI pieces in an area where they would match the colour of the WWII pieces.  So for example I assigned the burnt orange WWI Italian pieces to the European theatre (as Allied Neutral troops) to keep them far away from the burnt orange WWII Japanese pieces in the Pacific, and I assigned the medium brown WWI Russian pieces to the Dutch East Indies (as Dutch troops) to keep them far away from the medium brown Italian pieces in the European theatre.

American / Medium green (current colour): US standard infantry
    American / Dark green (Marines from Pacific): US special troops
    American / Greyish green (Milton Bradley): US special troops + Philippines

British / Light beige (current colour): British standard infantry
    British / Ivory (D-Day): British special troops
    British / Sea-foam green (Revised): British special troops
    British / ANZAC butternut (Pacific 1940 1st ed): Canada
    British / Medium tan (early games): India
    British / Salmon beige (Battle of the Bulge): Newfoundland

Russian / Dark wine purple (current colour): USSR standard infantry
    Russian / Medium wine purple (Europe): USSR special troops
    Russian / Dark brown (Milton Bradley): USSR special troops + Mongolia

Russo-Chinese / Red (Pacific): China (Communist)

Chinese / Lime green (single colour): China (Republic)

Germany / Black (current colour): German standard infantry
    Germany / Medium grey (Milton Bradley): German special troops

Japan / Burnt orange (current colour): Japanese standard infantry
    Japan / Cherry red (Pacific): Japanese special troops
    Japan / Medium butterscotch (Milton Bradley): Japanese special troops

ANZAC / ANZAC butternut (Pacific 1940 2nd ed): Australia / New Zealand

Italy / Medium brown (single colour): Italy

France / Medium blue (single colour): France (Third Republic) / Vichy

France WWI:1914 / Medium blue: France (Free France)

Britain WWI:1914 / Pale green: South Africa

Russia WWI:1914 / Medium brown: Netherlands

Italy WWI:1914 / Burnt orange: Allied Minors

Austria-Hungary WWI:1914 / Medium green: Axis Minors

Germany WWI:1914 / Dark haze grey: Finland

United States WWI:1914 / Dark greyish green: Thailand

Ottoman Empire WWI:1914 / Turquoise: Turkey

HBG Axis Minors #1 Infantry with Rifle / Light grey: Neutrals

• @sgtwiltan:

Or we stole em like the M1 Garands in GuadalCanal or Army vehicles in Marine “Amnesty” lots after Desert Storm. The deal was, you dropped off vehicles not in your TOE, no questions asked and you didn’t get in trouble or have to abandon usable equipment.

Sounds like a very practical arrangement to me.  As I recall, by the way, in Desert Storm the US Army was equiped with M1 Abrams tanks while the Marines were equiped with the older M60 Patton (upgraded with explosive reactive armour, if I’m not mistaken).

• Customizer

We were, but we got Army M1s as loaners as well.
    Here’s a pic of our M60s in Kuwait. Taken by my now deceased Staff Sgt.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Very cool Wil!

Always love seeing your service pics.

• Customizer

Wil,

––Oorah!

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m