• Hey fellas. I’m a very new player to A&A. My friends introduced me via the 1987 GM version (after our DM took the week off) and I fell in love with the game. I’m looking to pick up my own version and have been going back and forth between the 1942 2nd Edition, and picking up just the original 1987 version on Ebay. While i realize that they are very similar I’m having a tough time discerning the major differences other than the GB India Factory, and “new” units. I’m sure this has been asked to death and I appreciate in advance any light someone with more experience could shed on the situation.

Update: I just went ahead and got the 1987 MB Edition @ a steal.

• That is good news. Have fun!
    I haven’t played hat edition since my University years. Never owned a copy.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I am new to 1942 2nd edition too although I did play 1-2 games of the classic version (MB).  Picking this game up again brings me lot of good memory ;-)

Something I notice that has changed (you probably can find a more detailed description from some other page in this forum)

Map - Map is key difference and it makes some classic strategy more difficult to pull off. 
    Default set up - This changes a lot.  Russia used to have a lot more resource to start with and in this version it’s less.  England now has a factory in India by default.
    Rule - Some rules are changed - for example you cannot put unlimited amount of recent purchased units in the same territory; transport cannot be used as casualty unless it is the last resort…etc
    Price - Like Armor - it now costs 6 instead of 5
    No more research weapon thing
    Different option rules (like Russia cannot attack on 1st turn rule)
    Different winning condition (now it has victory cities)

It’s a fun game!  Give it a try - I am still learning how to beat the Axis efficiently in this new version!

• Most give the Allies a few extra units,  known as a bid, otherwise with two equally good players it can be near impossible.

• @Zesr88:

I’m looking to pick up my own version and have been going back and forth between the 1942 2nd Edition, and picking up just the original 1987 version on Ebay. While i realize that they are very similar I’m having a tough time discerning the major differences other than the GB India Factory, and “new” units. I’m sure this has been asked to death and I appreciate in advance any light someone with more experience could shed on the situation.

Update: I just went ahead and got the 1987 MB Edition @ a steal.

The 1987 edition is known as ‘Classic’. On 2004 it was updated to the ‘Revised’ edition, which then was updated to Spring 1942, 1st Ed and now we have 2nd Ed. I wouldn’t call them ‘very similar’ - 2nd Ed has several additional units (Cruiser, Destroyer, Artllery) and more complex rules plus all the map changes.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I am just curious about the balance….in previous thread I saw a few discussion saying it favors Axis but there are also folks saying the game is balanced without bids… Are any change on the opinion since then?  It seems to me Axis is strong at the beginning (it always is ;-)) but I haven’t play enough to come into any conclusion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m