• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I wish we still had signatures so mine could be “did KJF before it was cool!”

My KJF was always good. :P  Yes, at times there would be a flaw, something simple to correct like forgetting a sea zone to block with a destroyer, or sometimes something big like having the fleet in the wrong sea zone to counter a possible move, when one existed that met the requirement of the strategy while still countering the move.  As for “bad” playing “bad” well, doesn’t that mean the odds were pretty even, Cow?  Just a thought. Sorry, sitting here smiling, not trying to be mean, just well, defending my Alpha 2 “KJF” which, as I’ve pointed out, and people seem to be realizing, has nothing to do with taking Tokyo!  Holding the Sea of Japan (SZ 6) has and always will be a major goal of MY KJFs.

Anyway, love to hear more of this American strategic bomber strategy for Russia.  I assume it’s a matter of building small amounts over time and working them over so that they can run strategic missions and later be fodder for Russia?

• TripleA

I never said anything about taking Tokyo.

The sz 6 thing is situational, but very effective when it works out. It is a good spot to choo choo fighters to Russia to make it hold while convoying Japan hard.

I do buy carriers one round and the fighters the next just to surge that zone at times. However if Japan has a naval base and airbase in the FIC area, holding that seazone is rough.

• I have seen Japan turtle hard enough to prevent the the US from being able to contain it for a while.

• @ghr2:

I have seen Japan turtle hard enough to prevent the the US from being able to contain it for a while.

I really have trouble understanding this sentence

turtle = sitting building -> no need for containing

do you mean building subs and DDs and sitting outside vietnam, controlling DEI?

or do you mean building infs for tokyo?

or do you mean something else?

• Well the vast majority of bids I see on here involve a UK sub in the med and a UK land unit, usually inf or art, in N Africa.

I think changing the setup to
    +1 ANZAC inf to Egypt +1 UK sub SZs 98(with the carrier) + 1 USSR bomber in Russia
    And +1 French inf in FIC
    Would permanently wipe the bid

Could bid then for either side if players can’t agree on who’s what

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I used to think the Axis were overpowered, but after seeing allied play really pick up in the past month in the league, I am not so sure.

Indeed, my experience is that if the Axis get poor luck in the first couple rounds, they irrecoverably fall behind are are doomed.

• Poor luck?  Only if you make it so luck matters in the first place.  Honestly I don’t split my planes anymore to attack UK ships 1st turn with Germany anymore, I just nail 110/109 and call it a day.  My Battleship always survives, no chance of my planes dying.  I’m not seeing where you can possibly have luck involved that would “doom” axis.  :|

• I mean that during a full pac USA, I have seen Japan rush for his money, and build heavy into air/navy.  He did not push for a vc win right away, but his large fleet made it hard for the US to cripple him in any reasonable amount of time.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Poor luck?  Only if you make it so luck matters in the first place.  Honestly I don’t split my planes anymore to attack UK ships 1st turn with Germany anymore, I just nail 110/109 and call it a day.  My Battleship always survives, no chance of my planes dying.  I’m not seeing where you can possibly have luck involved that would “doom” axis.

Poor luck for the Axis can include the following:

1. the french shoot down a plane in battle for france

2. THe UK shoots down planes in 110/111 battles

3. The UK lucks out and wins in 106

4. Yugoslavia goes crazy and kills 5 infantry

5. The UK gets SUPER lucky and kills not only the Italian BB, but also the Italian and German ftrs while losing only 1 destroyer –- this has actually happened to me twice

6. China gets lucky and defends Yunnan against all out Japanese attack

… it goes on and on…  Basically, the Axis have to attack a lot to get up ahead of the allies, any of these battles can go sideways and if they do… ouch!

• I’ve seen France victorious over Germany several times
    Either Italy takes it or Germany tries again G2, while France gets to build some inf

• 5.  Usually italy does not scramble

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ghr2:

5.  Usually italy does not scramble

That true even if Germany puts planes in S. Italy?

@Uncrustable:

I’ve seen France victorious over Germany several times
    Either Italy takes it or Germany tries again G2, while France gets to build some inf

Never works out well for Italy to take Paris, in that situation, better to just clear it with Italian aircraft or let a couple infantry, armor get it from W. Germany, IMHO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m