What about Bulge, D-Day, Guadalcanal?

• I didn’t know where to ask so I came here.
    I was disappointed by AA 1914 (didn’t buy it, I just feel its not worth 100$)

So I have to turn toward older games.
    Are these game fun? I know they have a different rules.

Can you guys tell me what you liked and disliked about those games.
    And if I come across them for 40$ brand new, should I buy them?

Thanks

I own D-Day and Gaudalcanal.

D-Day: Probably my least favorite Axis and Allies game. It is interesting from the historical standpoint, but otherwise, it’s a rather one sided affair, usually ending with the Germans holed up in one town (the VC are capture 3 German towns in Normandy by turn 10), and the allies sadly 1-2 turns worth of units away from pulling off a win. The one thing I liked about it was the fact that combat lasted for only one turn, it was a concept I wish earlier Axis and Allies games had implemented, and D-Day does it, albeit it’s flawed.

Bulge: The maverick “fun” game of the Axis and Allies series, IMO. The feeling of “I-don’t-know-what-I’ll-lose-in-this-battle” feeling from the randomized battle board is great, and the fact that you have to consider supplies as a means of transportation for troops is just great (although, I think they allowed for too many supplies? That’s just me, probably others have played it more and would disagree). Perhaps the least favorable part of the game is the “movable front,” where you move the front according to how far your units have invaded (including those solitary hexes where that panzer blitzed to get to the front, but you couldn’t recognize as a penetrated front cause it is nowhere near looking like it is a part of the front. The front is an annoying feature you can try and avoid, if you can remember where you have “invaded.”

Just some thoughts. If you want an interesting two player game, get bulge.

GG

• So D-Day is not worth 40?
    For the piece or just to try something different?

• Here is what you do.

Buy coach’s AA1914 on ebay for $9.95. It is everything except pieces.

Use pieces from other games. Coach does sell those pieces and perhaps slowly you can buy complete sets.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What do you consider fun is probably a better question?

Which versions of AA do you like, and what do you like about them?

IL’s idea’s not bad either.

@texasranger97:

So D-Day is not worth 40?
    For the piece or just to try something different?

$40 for the Bulge pieces? In my opinion, no, not worth it.

GG

• There is a forum for each of those games. Rulebooks for all are available at the Avalon Hill site.  Previous version discussion from several years agao.

D-Day is the weakest of the three.

Guadalcanal is the most zen of all the games. You have to think and plan but not to hard. The movement structure makes the game feel very fast. It is the only one that uses a ‘purchase units’ type of reinforcement system. Bulge and D-Day have a pre-determined system.

Bulge is the most traditional style wargame entry. It is the game that seems to be most trying to put you in the place of the actual commanders of the battle and answer the problems they faced. It is also the most radical departure in terms of mechanics.

I find the reception overall the GCNL and BOTB got quite disappointing as it has led to nothing but variations of Revised for the last six years.

• I find the reception overall the GCNL and BOTB got quite disappointing

D-Day was even worse.

• Forget the price

Can you tell me what you liked/disliked about the game

I read some review and most of them were favorable, but I would like opinion from the people of this forum that have, for the most part, played all the AA.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Be a MAN and spend $300 on Anniversary.  You won’t be dissapointed.

Though if you Really want to nerd out and save $250… you could shop around and assemble a bunch of junk into a botch anniversary set… but then what does that say about cha! :p

• I have Pac & Europe 1940 2nd ed 1942 2nd ed and revised. I dont feel the need to buy Anniversery, specialy for 300$
    I taught theater specific game were something to look at

• @texasranger97:

I have Pac & Europe 1940 2nd ed 1942 2nd ed and revised. I dont feel the need to buy Anniversery, specialy for 300$
    I taught theater specific game were something to look at

I played an Anniversary game about a month ago and don’t feel the need to play it again.  It just teased me - I’d rather play the 1940 games; more advanced, more fun, more ways to win.

Basically, if I have x hours to play:
    10 hours: Global 1940
    8 hours: AA 1914
    6 hours: Europe 1940/Pacific 1940
    4 hours: Spring 1942, 2nd Edition
    3 hours: BotB/Guadalcanal/DDay
    2 hours: set up Global for a future game  :-D

• Basically, if I have x hours to play:
    10 hours: Global 1940
    8 hours: AA 1914
    6 hours: Europe 1940/Pacific 1940
    4 hours: Spring 1942, 2nd Edition
    3 hours: BotB/Guadalcanal/DDay
    2 hours: set up Global for a future game

That is why I wanted BotB/Guadalcanal/DDay for shorter play. I have AA 1941 for short plays, but I think its a bad game, not enough piece, multiple errors on board and rulebook. Plus the game is really unbalanced.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m