Germany playbook: overall strategy guide

• '16 '15 '10

variance that would depend completely on what UK does UK1.  If UK doesn’t protect London or it builds an Egypt IC or both then you can think about turn 2 sea lion.

Now the Turn 1 declaration on Russia might have some merit if it compels Russia to retreat to Bryansk/Ukraine and not hold Belorussia, which would push back a potential Red Army consolidation in East Poland till R3.  The downside is that Russia can also go take out Iraq (and potentially get more NO money in Africa) and they are getting the +5 while Germany isn’t getting its +5.

As far as the file you posted, I would only consider either 9 inf or 6 inf 1 fig as purchases for UK (more likely 9 inf).  Certainly no Taranto attack.

Your opening is interesting as it poses a tough challenge to Russia…Russia could risk stacking Belorussia with a 27% chance of actualling winning the battle, but if Germany had 2 more planes on West Germany, then stacking Belo would be too risky.

The major problem with this opening from my perspective is UK should be in a decent position if they opt for a 92 consolidation.  And since your 91 attack is 50/50, that cruiser could just as easily survive and strengthen the potential consolidation.

• TripleA

my opener as uk would depend on my bid.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

I played a G1 with Vance (attached below). At one point, I was feeling the heat but the Western Allies provided sufficient threat to carry the day.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Yeah, you can’t really judge the merit of G1 when its done by someone like me though.  A better player could probably make a lot more out of forcing the Russians to turtle early.  Also, that game was G1/J1 and not G1/J4 so you were able to trickle in the Americans right off the bat.

• Sponsor

I don’t play online, but snake11eyes plays out my G1 blueprint quite well, and has the skills to finish strong.

• @ COW
    Hey COW, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the additional posts you reserved for this thread on  “Reserved–optimal Sea Lion / Fein, Med. Sea strategies & another Reserved spot” you posted spaces for on Feb.28th.

Are these spots going to be added to soon or do you have a time frame that your thinking you might be able to get back to them?  As I said, I’m eagerly awaiting as well as alot of other players I’M SURE    :-)

• TripleA

Oh yes I been meaning to get around to it. I play a game on Saturday and today a midterm is going to fry my brain. I try for Sunday.

• Anyone in Phoenix area?

• Early German questions for Cow, et al:

How much is everyone sending into Yugo when you want to strafe for a G2 attack?

Is 7 inf 2 art plane and tac safe in dice? Should I add a tank to soften further for Italy?

How to you set up to most efficiently take Novo? Stack Baltic with everything in sight?

Do you move the entire 7 inf+ Finland force forward or just enough to take Kar and Vyborg? Are you worried about a counterattack out of Novo losing the stack and beefing Russia with Finland NO money?

Do you try to take Gib or hole up in 112 or 113 with your navy?

G1 do you ever attack the 91 cruiser in lieu of 106?

–Jeff

• @Cow:

Oh yes I been meaning to get around to it. I play a game on Saturday and today a midterm is going to fry my brain. I try for Sunday.

Ok awesome, I’ll be watching for it, thanx!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Good questions! Replies in red but I lose a lot of games.  :-)

@Jeff28:

How much is everyone sending into Yugo when you want to strafe for a G2 attack?
    Is 7 inf 2 art plane and tac safe in dice? Should I add a tank to soften further for Italy?
    I send just the 2 art, 7 inf.  Too paranoid to send more.  Italy can handle it and Germany will get South France.

How to you set up to most efficiently take Novo? Stack Baltic with everything in sight?
    Yes, intimidation makes them withdraw or they stand and die.  If you build tanks/mechs instead of inf/art they will have to pull out through Archangel/Vologda/Moscow instead of Belarus/bryansk, so you will get Bryansk/Rostov/oil

Do you move the entire 7 inf+ Finland force forward or just enough to take Kar and Vyborg? Are you worried about a counterattack out of Novo losing the stack and beefing Russia with Finland NO money?
    Yes move forward but leave a couple in Finland so you can airstrike.  Anything they send North will make Moscow fall that much faster.  If they don’t attack them, the Finns in Karelia add to the threat on Leningrad

Do you try to take Gib or hole up in 112 or 113 with your navy?
    z113

No, and no sealion threat either.  I want them to do Taranto so I can sink their fleet in z97 by airstrike.

–Jeff

• Sponsor

@Jeff28:

The only sea zones that the 107 sub can hit are 106 and 109, so when talking about hitting the 91 cruiser, you’re talking about using a different sub than the one used in 106. I never hit 109 because the risk vs. reward ratio doesn’t make sense due to the 4 scrambles, so I send 2 subs into 110, and 2 into 111 leaving the 107 sub with nothing to do but hit 106. I see the value of getting the cruiser, but its not worth the attempt unless you send 2 subs on it, which would leave a battleship and a cruiser for the Brits just to save an Italian Destroyer.

• '12

@Young:

I see the value of getting the cruiser, but its not worth the attempt unless you send 2 subs on it, which would leave a battleship and a cruiser for the Brits just to save an Italian Destroyer.

Well, you’re saving 15 IPC because of the Italian TT there.

• Sponsor

@Eggman:

@Young:

I see the value of getting the cruiser, but its not worth the attempt unless you send 2 subs on it, which would leave a battleship and a cruiser for the Brits just to save an Italian Destroyer.

Well, you’re saving 15 IPC because of the Italian TT there.

Well, to get technical… The sea zone that gets skipped for the cruiser will give the Allies a battleship, a cruiser and a French cruiser (assuming it’s 110). That’s $44 passed to get $12, and save $15… a difference of $17… that’s not including air units lost due to a possible scramble which would amount to a possibility of $74 lost in sea zone 110. Now in all fairness, I’m not considering the possibility of hitting all four sea zones (106, 97, 111, 110), but that will require less sub soaks in 111, and/or 110, which will unbalance the economics of each battle when German fighters start slamming into the channel.

• TripleA

Technically instead of 110 you could wack 109 without added subs.

• Sponsor

@Cow:

Technically instead of 110 you could wack 109 without added subs.

Face 4 fighters for a destroyer and a transport?

• TripleA

yes. sea lion buy and if he scrambles then go through with the sea lion. without fighters the defense for london is weak

• Sponsor

@Cow:

yes. sea lion buy and if he scrambles then go through with the sea lion. without fighters the defense for london is weak

But hits from subs don’t get applied to air units, so your subs will face 1@2 & 4@4 with zero risk for the UK fighters. If you bring in German air units to help, UK player will be satisfied that you diverted a large force for a destroyer and transport and will not scramble, but rather use what ever ships were spared in their counter attack on 109.

• TripleA

If you think UK would be happy to scramble against the luffewaffe then sea lion will hit you 8-9/10 times.

• TripleA

update: posted a medit gambit strategy, the optimal sea lion strategy, and the gambit play.
    ~

I realized the med sea play usually follows a sea lion feign. So you really want to optimize for sea lion. Then you have the option of doing sea lion if the allies get fancy / do something other than buy to defend london… or you can strait up buy more naval and surge it into the med.

~

Well I think that concludes this for some time. I may update with other round 2 buys, but I think everyone has their own preferences as far as that goes.

~

I would also like to say that since I posted my openers with a general description of my overall strategy for each one that the allies play against me has become stronger.

Hopefully this helps newcomers to the board get a good feel for what the axis is all about. Then when you are the allies you can look at various NOs of the axis and figure out where their weaknesses lie. Perhaps this helps you gauge the timing of when and how many fighters you need to send to Russia to defend it against a German attack (also how many units are necessary to deflect a sea lion attack etc). Knowing what the axis are trying to accomplish by their opening moves should help considerably.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m