• We just finished 3 games with all the new changes. Even with the changes the Axis won all three. The first game we even forgot all the Japanese ships in SZ 45 (carrier, fighter, tranny and destroyer) yet the Axis still won with little problem.

Russia simply cannot stop, or even reasonably delay the Germans. Every game the UK fleet is crushed, Egypt always falls and the Americans are always too late to make any difference. Only one game was reasonably close with the British losing a near run attack on the German transport fleet just prior to the invasion of London. Once that failed, Germany took London and the Americans failed in their bid to recapture.

The additional troops for the allies make it about one or more turns longer for the Axis to tilt the balance beyond the point of no return, but we don’t see enough to make a difference.

We consider our group to be experienced A&A  players going back to the original game, but we are perplexed as to any sound allied strategy that yields a fair fight.

Our take is the extra Russian infantry still does not allow the Russians any viable counter attack against the Germans. With only a single tank, you can ill afford to send it into an attack only to see it killed and the lone fighter provides the only offense more than a 1 to hit from the infantry.  We discussed the possibility of Russia having another fighter to give them more offensive options.

One strange anomaly is the Russo-Japanese Non-aggression pact when the Americans hit the Japanese fleet off Japan then landed bombers in Siberia. The Japanese had forces in Manchuria to strike at them, yet since Russia had not fallen were not allowed to go after the Americans in Russian territory. Somehow this did not seem right, so we allowed Japan to attack non-Russian forces in their territory.

Right know our group thinks the Russians need either a fighter or tank (even if less infantry) to give them some offensive counter attack capability. Otherwise the Russians can only sit back and wait to get destroyed.

Kim

• Question about this new rule:

Soviet-Japanese Non-aggression Pact: Neither the Soviet Union nor Japan may attack territories controlled by the other until either Germany or Russia has been captured by an enemy power.

Germany takes Caucasus. Japan lands a fighter in the Caucasus.
    from what Im reading Soviet Union can attack the Caucasus and attack the Japanese fighter there.
    Does this cause war if Soviet Union attacks the combined force or does the Pact prevent further escalation even though the Japanese unit was attacked.

• Official Q&A

Yes, the Soviet Union may attack, as the territory is not controlled by Japan.  This will have no impact on the Pact.

• Have there been any updates to the proposed changes or any “final” decisions?

• Official Q&A

Neither so far.  We haven’t received enough feedback yet.  That may be a good thing, though, as people are generally faster to condemn than to praise.

• Larry’s problem, Krieg, is that the people here buy the games when they come out(and quite a few are coming out lately), so they move on and the older ones are not played as much.
    1941 is also a bit basic for the battle hardened addicts here.
    If there are errors, or seemly so, of course the talk is of the newer games.

1941 is a good and very reasonably priced game. It will be played and we will, me included, play it again. People are not playing or talking about it, because 1914 has rightly  taken over as the game of people’s choice.

All I can suggest is that you bring out fewer games or at least in less of a hurry, so our time is not wasted chatting needlessly about obvious errors that could have been avoided with better use of time.
    I am sure everyone is like me and does not want to complain, only enjoy the games as they were designed. Sometimes the problem is just the wording.
    For the most part, we want simple English and all parts pertaining to a rule in the same place.

• I find that withe the additional destroyer and 2 inf it makes the game more fair.  I am not a fan of unbalanced games but as soon as I played the first game. I played axis against a friend who played allies and I steam rolled him. I took Russia in three turns, had India from J1. Had Africa . Asia was mine, taking Islands.

Within 5 turns the axis had double the income of the allies, with more resources. Needless to say the axis won easily with no challenge against the allies.

With the new set up I can’t send my sub to kiLl a defenseless transport :(, and if Russia wants to stack an attack on its first turn it can pile an attack of 8 inf 1 tank 1 fighter and estimated losses of 0-2 inf to hold that territory.

It is more even however the axis still have the upperhand. But I don’t steamroll no more

• I’m going to play my first round of 41 tomorow (finally) with some friends who are totally new to A&A. I’ll try the 3 inf in Russia, the DD und Inf for the US…
    I’ll not try the pact, from my point of view this restrictes the possibilities and I bought the game to have an easy A&A version, I don’t want to explain more rules then necessary. For an equal reason, the hope for a short A&A version, I’m also thinking about trying less Axis-units instead of more Allies-inf, like it is proposed by different players on the HGD-Board… has anyone experience with either setup-change? Does it change the game-length, and if yes, in what way?

• If they are new to the game you can always play the allies and play the unbalanced set up. Or even just add 1-2 infantry in Moscow.

• didn’t work out that bad, but next time I’ll probably try with each a fighter less for JAP and GER (or something comparable), maybe instead of some of the extra units for the Allies…

• Me from china
    This game is so f*cking unbalanced

my friend and I played the original rule and it was a 5-1 axis leads

even we tried the adjustment with moscow 2 inf and US DD lasst night, the allies still lost
    the problem is the russia is way too weak to defend the GER
    and England and US were always too late and to far to help
    even through Eng sent 2 fighters to help,
    Moscow still fall on round 2 or 3  :|

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Jonathan3213!

Your results aren’t surprising, as you’re a bit behind the times.  The current adjustments are:

USSR: Add 3 infantry to Russia
    USA: Add 1 infantry to Northwestern China and 1 destroyer to sea zone 11

• Sorry
    Actually I was from Taiwan not China
    it was a great game and I love it with all my heart.

So what about the starting US IPC
    It was supposed to be 17 not 15? :?

Second, How about the Soviet and Japan non-aggression pact?
    What we make a rule that if soviet or japan can gain 3 inf. when they are attacked by other first?  :-D

and one more thing , battleship has 2 lives.
    If it was damaged from a battle, can it repair automatically and instantly?

• Official Q&A

@JONATHAN3213:

it was a great game and I love it with all my heart.

Glad to hear it!

@JONATHAN3213:

So what about the starting US IPC
    It was supposed to be 17 not 15? :?

It should be 17.

@JONATHAN3213:

Second, How about the Soviet and Japan non-aggression pact?
    What we make a rule that if soviet or japan can gain 3 inf. when they are attacked by other first?   :-D

The non-aggression pact is considered to be an optional rule right now.

@JONATHAN3213:

and one more thing , battleship has 2 lives.
    If it was damaged from a battle, can it repair automatically and instantly?

It is automatically repaired at the end of the battle (assuming it survives, of course).

• How about shore bombardment? I assume there was no such rules in this version.

ps.
    I can gonna try the rules you told me with friends tomorrow, Krieghund.

• You are right JONATHAN 3213: no shore bombardment in 1941.

• Official Q&A

There is no shore bombardment in this game.  Some rules of this type were removed to make it more of a “beginner” game.

• I love the game although simplified. The low IPC and lower numbers of troops made this game more dependent on luck and more exciting
    Often the Ger and USSR fight on East front and into a meat grinder.
    the battle will decide who is the winner
    The england often is the main support of USSR instead of US.

Moreover, I found something interesting.
    China played a huge role in stopping Jap and they only had 3 inf. LOL!

• Customizer

@Krieghund:

Welcome, Jonathan3213!

Your results aren’t surprising, as you’re a bit behind the times.  The current adjustments are:

USSR: Add 3 infantry to Russia
    USA: Add 1 infantry to Northwestern China and 1 destroyer to sea zone 11

Used the game as an intro to Axis&Allies. Worked out this great. This game really is fun! It feels like revisiting the MB version but much better in so many ways.

If you’ve got Global editions, the map with some work could slowly introduce players to more advanced aspects of the game. I’m working on an AAG39/40 “Light” . May post it if it works out.

• Customizer

A first round of turns minus combat movement while unorthodox,  may also help balance the game out especially for beginners.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m