LHoffman's Painted Sculpts For Your Consideration

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Swedo:

Can you post pictures of the other units? Fighters, bombers, tanks, artillery, and ships? It would be appreciated!

If it is going to be fairly extensive, then I would say to create another thread for them. But if it is only a handful then go ahead.

• Customizer

Guys,

I guess I was too specific. I don’t have ANY German pieces painted by
    “Allworkandnoclay” as I decided to wait for the NEW FMG German units that were supposed to come out a year or so ago. I’ve had him concentrating on my INFANTRY units because I loved the national insigns he painted on their bases.

Let’s see,…just off the top of my head we’ve done Nationalist China, Japan(Mainland scheme), Anzac, U.S. Marines, Marine Raiders, Para-Marines, 11th, 17th, 82nd, and 101st Army Airborne Paratroopers, Calcutta-based British, Russians(Summer scheme), and the FMG Italians(Desert scheme).

He also did my Major Industrial Centers and he is currently finishing the Minor I.C.'s and Anti-Aircraft Guns.

I had previously had some American and English Navy / Air Force units painted by SOMEONE ELSE. They’re pretty good but not exactly what I want so I might replace them later. See below:

“Tall Paul”

First, the Americans.
    P-38 Lightning, B-17 Flying Fortress, F-4F Wildcat, SBD Dauntless, CV, BB, CA, DD, SS, and AP. I had them painted in the Blue-Gray scheme. I’ll eventually put 48-star flags on their stern decks of the ships for I.D. purposes.

shreveporter 001.JPG

• Customizer

And the British Navy / Air Force

“Tall Paul”

You might notice that I made a few concessions on historical accuracy vs. game-playing identity issues. Like national insignia on BOTH wingtops of the aircraft and Spitfires on the U.K. Carriers. This was mainly to assist my 88-year old father who is a WW2 veteran identify things a little easier. He regularly plays A&A with us. That’s him on the left.

UK 80 piece set 004.JPG

Just an update:

Tiger tank will likely be up tonight. Also making progress on the FMG Littorio class battleship.

• Can’t wait to see the Tiger!

@wittmann:

Can’t wait to see the Tiger!

Hope it is worth the anticipation.

• It is a Tiger. I have seen your work too.
    One day I will pay someone to do some units for me, as I would love some and I  am worse than useless.
    My wife has offered to paint some for me! I told her she was too busy.

@wittmann:

My wife has offered to paint some for me! I told her she was too busy.

Hahaha… do you not trust her abilities enough?

• The opposite. She is very good with a paintbrush. She is a chef, but decorates cakes as a side business. She does painted ones as a speciality. Not sure if anyone else does in Hereford.
    We have a 3 year old and a small restaurant and she makes cakes.
    She really is too busy.
    I am the one with time on my hands. Have you seen how long I am on this forum!

@wittmann:

The opposite. She is very good with a paintbrush. She is a chef, but decorates cakes as a side business. She does painted ones as a speciality. Not sure if anyone else does in Hereford.
    We have a 3 year old and a small restaurant and she makes cakes.
    She really is too busy.
    I am the one with time on my hands. Have you seen how long I am on this forum!

True, true… Sounds like a beautiful family and excellent business. I would frequent your restaurant if I were in England.

• Thank you. I would meet most of you, if I lived in North America too.
    Am going to come one day.  I am desperate to visit Civil War sites, as your war has become my most read about one(more than WW2).
    This is a great community and forum.

@wittmann:

I am desperate to visit Civil War sites, as your war has become my most read about one(more than WW2).

I have not been to many, but I have been to Gettysburg and it is really something else. It is amazing to stand there on the hills or in the woods and think of what went on under your feet… very sad.

• Customizer

LHoffman,

I, like everyone else, am anxiously awaiting your upcoming Tiger. Judging from your previous work I’m certain it will be awesome looking.
    I believe HBG is releasing their first German set(also with a Tiger)approximately Dec. 15th.
    Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

Sorry to all those looking forward to the Tiger rollout tonight… but it looks as though it will not be ready. I am afraid to rush it more than I ought simply to get it done, which will not yield the best result. It is nearly done though, and will be up by Thursday evening at some point. Will put it up earlier if I can get the time before then to work on it.

• wow. Really Fantastic job!

Perhaps somebody could make a video tutorial of dry-brushing and basic painting technique?

Nice name!

Dry brushing is really not that difficult. It is more about feel and what you are going for personally than any particular technique.

Alright, here is the Tiger. Again, OOB from A&A '41.

Went for the mid production Italian scheme. I discovered a couple things:

1. this particular paint scheme would look much better if it were airbrushed
    2. I need to find some lighter colors for this particular scheme

Overall it went alright, and as always it looks quite a bit better in person. I really am going to have to get my fiance’s camera. Doesn’t help that the lighting in this room is not conducive to taking pictures.

DSCN0688.JPG
    tiger italy.jpg

This one is a little easier to see hopefully.

Ah yes:

1. I will definitely be using decals in the future. Painting is a nice thought, but time consuming and frustrating. And generally not that accurate.

DSCN0699.JPG
    DSCN0696.JPG

• Fantastic! Any chance of making a real time video from start to finish of doing a few units?

It would really help others see how and what goes into this and draw people into doing their own sets.

Im having complete sets for AAE and AAP as well as HBG painted professionally, but perhaps if it is easy enough and i got a reasonable chance of doing a good job, i might just do my own.

• Beautiful. Well done.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m