LHoffman's Painted Sculpts For Your Consideration

• '12

Great job. everything looks awesome

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

Jesus….you might want to make more “first attempts” at things. It looks the best I’ve seen. That naval fighter from the marine set from HBG?

Thanks IL.

No, the F6F is OOB from Guadalcanal.

I do have some Corsairs from the HBG Marine set, which I will be painting eventually.

@Swedo:

Nice work! finally some new pictures! Oh man, that infantry scares the ���� out of me! Did freddy Krueger fight in ww2?  :-P

Haha yeah… that’s what I mean by needing some touching up on the face.

• LHoffman, as you are just starting your infantry I’d like to offer you a suggestion to consider. From personal experience in painting infantry units I know how time consuming the process is, and how you want to have the best results possible. I’ve painted OOB, HBG, and 1/72 scale model infantry.  In my opinion I prefer the 1/72 scale infantry. They are better molded for that spacific purpose. The others aren’t exactly designed with painting in mind.  The model infantry have much better detail and are better proportioned as well.

With that in mind I’ve gone through several manufactures of model units to find the best combination of plastic consistency, and best over-all unit appearance.  I feel like the Ceasar units offer the best product. You can go to to see pictures, read reviews, and see actual size of units:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=1

The down side to these units are they don’t have the circular base which allows you paint the roundel (which does look awesome). You’ll spend more money on units.  Also you will have various poses which some people won’t like, but I think looks pretty cool.

Like I said, just something to consider. Some people aren’t aware these exist, and are easily purchased online if you don’t have a local hobbie store that carries them in your area.

• Customizer

LHoffman,

Like I’ve said before your work is Fantastic! I especially like your STRAIGHT lines, like on the carrier deck. Wow!

@LHoffman:

I very much liked Allworkandnoclay’s infantry paint scheme with the roundels painted on the base, so I decided to do the same. I would like to do some different uniform schemes like Allwork has done also.

I, too, am a BIG fan of Allworkandnoclay and his idea of painting the national ensigns on the bases of Infantry units. That’s why I’ve had him painting all of my Infantry units first. I also had him do some “special” jobs, like my Calcutta-based British Infantry. I had him paint Union Jack flags on their bases to differentiate them from the London-based British. I call them “Jacks”. Just thought I’d share some pics with you.

I’ve also had him paint some “Special Forces” units like “U.S. Marine Raiders”, several U.S. Army Paratrooper units, etc. Hope you enjoy them.

“Tall Paul”

uk_inf_jack.jpg

@Maofator:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=1

Hey thanks a lot! These are really cool! I know the OOB units are not designed for painting and are very difficult to do accurately. And while I have looked into alternate unit pieces I have not done so for infantry, but I am really considering it now. Depending on the model type, I could probably still paint roundels on the bases, which isn’t a big deal. I’d really like it if the infantry could fit on the chips as they do with OOB pieces.

I will have to do some more looking, but thank you very much Maofactor for the suggestions.

@Tall:

LHoffman,

Like I’ve said before your work is Fantastic! I especially like your STRAIGHT lines, like on the carrier deck. Wow!

@LHoffman:

I very much liked Allworkandnoclay’s infantry paint scheme with the roundels painted on the base, so I decided to do the same. I would like to do some different uniform schemes like Allwork has done also.

I, too, am a BIG fan of Allworkandnoclay and his idea of painting the national ensigns on the bases of Infantry units. That’s why I’ve had him painting all of my Infantry units first. I also had him do some “special” jobs, like my Calcutta-based British Infantry. I had him paint Union Jack flags on their bases to differentiate them from the London-based British. I call them “Jacks”. Just thought I’d share some pics with you.

I’ve also had him paint some “Special Forces” units like “U.S. Marine Raiders”, several U.S. Army Paratrooper units, etc. Hope you enjoy them.

“Tall Paul”

Thanks very much Paul.

Actually, I was indirectly referencing the units Allwork painted for you specifically; obviously you noticed. I have seen the paratrooper (and Marine?) units that you have and really liked them. I would like to do something similar. I love the Union Jack India infantry too… defintely on my to do list. I do not want to copy Allwork , but use some elements I like and expand on them to make very much my own creations. I would like to compliment him on some great work though. You have some very nice pieces.

It would be very cool to do some infantry/paratrooper/marine/Waffen SS etc… units with the sculpts that Maofactor pointed out. I can’t wait to get started, but man does this project just keep getting bigger…

• Those British Inf are probably one of the finest examples of a paint job.  The Union Jack bases are done superbly and I think that the weathering and muted tones for the units gives a sense of realism I have yet to see.

Congratulations.  Fe-nominal work!

@Hepps01:

Those British Inf are probably one of the finest examples of a paint job.  The Union Jack bases are done superbly and I think that the weathering and muted tones for the units gives a sense of realism I have yet to see.

Congratulations.  Fe-nominal work!

Well those Brits are not mine… they were done buy a guy here (Allworkandnoclay). They are quite good though. Props to him.

• Customizer

LHoffman,

I truly enjoy seeing your EXCELLENT work!

I didn’t mean to “jack” your thread, but just wanted to share with you. The whole idea for me is FUN for everyone.

Also, I didn’t realize you’d already seen some of the custom units that Allworkandnoclay had done for me. He said the Aussie “Diggers” were some of the most difficult bases he’s painted(see below). I don’t think I’ve ever posted pics of them before.

I, like everyone else on here, are all enjoying seeing your great paint jobs. Please keep up the good work. As far as what I’ve noticed,…it has been your EXCELLENT work!

Man, you’re right about this project getting bigger and bigger all the time!

“Tall Paul”

anzac_inf2b.jpg

@Tall:

I didn’t mean to “jack” your thread, but just wanted to share with you. The whole idea for me is FUN for everyone.

“Tall Paul”

Not a problem Paul. You didn’t jack it, rather you are adding to it, so thanks for that. Those Aussies are very nice. I am rather dreading having to paint those roundels… especially since Allwork’s words were something to the effect of: “Those roundels were the bane of my life for about 24 hrs”

Well, I guess we will find out eventually.

• Customizer

LHoffman,

I’m glad you’re OK with my pics. I probably have several painted units that I don’t think I’ve posted before. Let me know and I can send them to you or post them here. I think everyone on this forum tries to encourage each other,…and in your case,…it’s shear envy of your work(grin)!

BTW, I just sent you a PM.

“Tall Paul”

• Tall Paul can you post pictures of the german units? (all of them) cuz on a flickr page i found with his painted pieces there are no german units.

@Tall:

I’m glad you’re OK with my pics. I probably have several painted units that I don’t think I’ve posted before. Let me know and I can send them to you or post them here.

Sure, go ahead and put them here. Especially if you are holding out on any German ones. I particularly like those.

Anybody know if Allworkandnoclay ever painted any German units? Seems like on his thread he never got to them.

• Customizer

Swedo & LHoffman,

Sadly, I don’t have any German Infantry painted as yet.

A long time ago, I decided to use FMG’s new German units for my Wermacht and SS units. These are the ones(through NO fault of FMG) that have been delayed soooooooo long.

“Tall Paul”

• Can you post pictures of the other units? Fighters, bombers, tanks, artillery, and ships? It would be appreciated!

@Swedo:

Can you post pictures of the other units? Fighters, bombers, tanks, artillery, and ships? It would be appreciated!

If it is going to be fairly extensive, then I would say to create another thread for them. But if it is only a handful then go ahead.

• Customizer

Guys,

I guess I was too specific. I don’t have ANY German pieces painted by
    “Allworkandnoclay” as I decided to wait for the NEW FMG German units that were supposed to come out a year or so ago. I’ve had him concentrating on my INFANTRY units because I loved the national insigns he painted on their bases.

Let’s see,…just off the top of my head we’ve done Nationalist China, Japan(Mainland scheme), Anzac, U.S. Marines, Marine Raiders, Para-Marines, 11th, 17th, 82nd, and 101st Army Airborne Paratroopers, Calcutta-based British, Russians(Summer scheme), and the FMG Italians(Desert scheme).

He also did my Major Industrial Centers and he is currently finishing the Minor I.C.'s and Anti-Aircraft Guns.

I had previously had some American and English Navy / Air Force units painted by SOMEONE ELSE. They’re pretty good but not exactly what I want so I might replace them later. See below:

“Tall Paul”

First, the Americans.
    P-38 Lightning, B-17 Flying Fortress, F-4F Wildcat, SBD Dauntless, CV, BB, CA, DD, SS, and AP. I had them painted in the Blue-Gray scheme. I’ll eventually put 48-star flags on their stern decks of the ships for I.D. purposes.

shreveporter 001.JPG

• Customizer

And the British Navy / Air Force

“Tall Paul”

You might notice that I made a few concessions on historical accuracy vs. game-playing identity issues. Like national insignia on BOTH wingtops of the aircraft and Spitfires on the U.K. Carriers. This was mainly to assist my 88-year old father who is a WW2 veteran identify things a little easier. He regularly plays A&A with us. That’s him on the left.

UK 80 piece set 004.JPG

Just an update:

Tiger tank will likely be up tonight. Also making progress on the FMG Littorio class battleship.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m