• You are at the mercy of an India Crush strategy that will Can Open blocks on J2 to open up a J3 landing.

You currently have 13 Inf in Calcutta with 2 Ftr already there.

Do you want 5 more Inf or 3 more Ftr?

What if you have only 1 Ftr in Calcutta?

• I’d say the infantry, every time. You get more bang for your buck in this situation.

• infantry and maybe an AA gun dependng on how many planes there are and if you have spare change

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

I follow a rule of thumb for combat value as follows:
    attack or defend at a 1 CV =1
    attack or defend at a 2 CV=1.4
    attack or defend at a 3 CV=1.7
    attack or defend at a 4 CV=2

So 5 infantry are worth 51.4 = 7, 3 fighters are worth 32 = 6.  Go with the infantry for better defense.

I picked up the formula several years ago when I was reading an article on game theory, each unit is valued at the square root of the attack or defense value.

• @Degrasse:

I follow a rule of thumb for combat value as follows:
    attack or defend at a 1 CV =1
    attack or defend at a 2 CV=1.4
    attack or defend at a 3 CV=1.7
    attack or defend at a 4 CV=2

So 5 infantry are worth 51.4 = 7, 3 fighters are worth 32 = 6.  Go with the infantry for better defense.

I picked up the formula several years ago when I was reading an article on game theory, each unit is valued at the square root of the attack or defense value.

Is there a point of diminishing returns?  Such as wouldn’t it make more sense after X amount of Inf to instead put Ftr over the top to get an advantage of 4’s rolling over lots of 2’s?

• No.
    More infantry is always better on defense.  Without exception.

For 30 IPCs you can get

3 Fighters for

3 hits and 12 points

vs

10 Infantry for

10 hits and 20 points.

No diminishing returns at all.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Why is it only 5 infantry? or 3 fighters?

And not 10 infantry or 3 fighters?

• @Gargantua:

Why is it only 5 infantry? or 3 fighters?

And not 10 infantry or 3 fighters?

Equivalent price for an AB on DNG to get 3 Anzac Ftr to India if the crush arrives.  Was trying to determine who should take DNG for a base of operations - Anzac or India.

Opportunity cost was 15 IPC to get 3 Ftr to India or put 5 Inf on India.

• there is only a point of diminishing returns when you can chose between 2 units, one that is cheaper per unit, the other is cheaper /combat die.

the formula 1, 1.4, 1,7, 2  is the steady state for combat between 2 types of units, and no mixing.

that is
    12 inf v 6 ftrs -> 8 inf v 4 ftrs
    so both sides has lost a third of its units, and the combat is a draw. when mixing units, there will be different results, and not as easy to calculate.

if you want the losses to be equal in IPC, then if inf attack v inf, you need  1.6 attacking inf per defending inf.

if attacking tanks that cost 5, you still only need about 1.7 to make sure losses are equal.

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

Lanchester’s Law on wikipedia is the game theory I was thinking about.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m