• or even better a stickied thread with links to all the treads. Actually I will make it.

• thank you Desert Fox

• Customizer

I have a question about these “Express” games.  Are they going to be tactical level games like the A&A Miniatures type games?  Or are they more along the lines of A&A Battle of the Bulge, Guadalcanal and D-Day?

• @knp7765:

I have a question about these “Express” games.  Are they going to be tactical level games like the A&A Miniatures type games?  Or are they more along the lines of A&A Battle of the Bulge, Guadalcanal and D-Day?

It depends on which mini game your talking about. Most will be like D-Day,Guadalcanal,and Battle of the Buldge. We dont currently know if there will be any tactical ones.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Alright I have made a VERY ROUGH edition of my Syria&Lebanon Campaign. Most territories (excluding Iraqi territories, trans Jordon territories, and The Duck’s Bill) are named after cities found on the Syria map on the wiki page CWO found. I used Microsoft Paint to make it. I included few sea zones as sea battle was little use in the syrian campaign. However the player that controls the sea can use it to ferry troops around. The lines you see between territories are rails, rodes, and tracks (i guessed they meant paths). Because Syria is mainly desert these are used for movment. Im not totally sure how it will work but I havent focused on the rules much. Also I am dropping the Chinese campaigns (srry to those who got excited about them) and i will work on operation market garden. I prefer the European and African theaters.

Ryan for the map I think you need to make the territories less rounded, and you’ll want to be able to distinguish the countries. I know you said it was rough but just some things to think about… I think youre right about the sea zones though, you dont need that many, theyre probably going to be mostly for look on the map  :mrgreen:

• @Sun_Tzu:

I’m already using Wake Island and Guam in my Japanese Empire conquest one

Out of curiosity, is the Guam battle you’re using the original Japanese conquest or the one I posted in which the Americans recaptured the island in 1944?

• @Pvt.Ryan:

CWO i think you deserve a full mention and credit in the creators of this game. Without you half of this wouldn’t have been possible. Well it would but it wouldn’t have been as good.

My pleasure.  Looking forward to seeing the games you guys are designing.

An idea occured to me in connection with Guam and Corrigedor and other places like that which were fought over twice (sometimes several years apart).  It might be possible to use them for paired games that would use the same map (a part of the game design process that requires a lot of work) for two different scenarios.  Typically this could be a “capture / recapture” pairing.  The Pacific theatre has lots of candidates for that type of paired games, but the concept is also usable in the European / Mediterranean theatre.  North Africa was one place where the front shifted back and forth several times by a dramatic amount.  Russia was another, with some towns being fought over so many times that they ended up utterly demolished by the war’s end.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Ummm Im gonna drop the Chinese ones to take up some of these. I call Operation Market Garden.

You and Spartan might want to team up to develop some special Express paratrooper rules.  Market Garden (which you’re doing) and the invasion of Crete (part of the Greece game Spartan is doing) were both large-scale paratrooper operations, so there ought to be some transferable concepts between them.

Also, you’ll find the movie to which I provided a link (A Bridge Too Far) a great source of inspiration when you’re designing the Market-Garden game.  As I recall, there’s even a scene in which General Horrocks stands in front of a huge wall map to explain the plan to his ground force commanders.

• A couple more ideas:

Operation Lüttich (The Mortain Counteroffensive)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Lüttich
      and
      The Falaise Pocket
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_pocket
      (see John keegan’s book Six Armies in Normandy for background)

The Battle of Berlin
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Berlin
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Battle_(book)

• The general idea is that “Express” level games be an introduction to the Axis & Allies genre.

I would recommend that special rules be kept to a bare minimum, and unit costs/attack/move values be kept identical to the 1940 series.

In a lot of these Express games, reinforcement cards rather than building units will be utilized.

I’m glad to see that a genre has sprung up around a germ of an idea. I’ll be glad to help with any maps that people need.

• Not neccisarliy. The original purpose of “Express” games is so you can play them on the go.

• Yeah , youre supposed to be able to play them in the car and stuff (thats the purpose of the magnetics)…

• Well…

Go back to the thread “Axis & Allies Travel Game?” and read what I wrote. That was the post that spawned the genre.

• @Sun_Tzu:

Yeah , youre supposed to be able to play them in the car

It’s an A&A game for mechanized players.  :-D

• If anyone hasn’t taken the battle for berlin i’d like to stake my claim on it. I need a game with russian. gotta love those vodka drinking german killing snow marching bad a**es

• @Sun_Tzu:

@Pvt.Ryan:

Alright I have made a VERY ROUGH edition of my Syria&Lebanon Campaign. Most territories (excluding Iraqi territories, trans Jordon territories, and The Duck’s Bill) are named after cities found on the Syria map on the wiki page CWO found. I used Microsoft Paint to make it. I included few sea zones as sea battle was little use in the syrian campaign. However the player that controls the sea can use it to ferry troops around. The lines you see between territories are rails, rodes, and tracks (i guessed they meant paths). Because Syria is mainly desert these are used for movment. Im not totally sure how it will work but I havent focused on the rules much. Also I am dropping the Chinese campaigns (srry to those who got excited about them) and i will work on operation market garden. I prefer the European and African theaters.

Ryan for the map I think you need to make the territories less rounded, and you’ll want to be able to distinguish the countries. I know you said it was rough but just some things to think about… I think youre right about the sea zones though, you dont need that many, theyre probably going to be mostly for look on the map  :mrgreen:

Ha im just reading this today. Thanks for the input. In the future im going to use the line too instead of freehanding it. I plan to have six main territories in Exporter. South, Central, and North Syria. Iraq, and Trans Jordon. Turkey is neutral but there is a rule allowing Vichy troops to use their rail.

• Croesus perhaps we can incorporate the Syria and Iraq campaigns together. The fates of both campaigns were very intertwined.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

@knp7765:

It depends on which mini game your talking about. Most will be like D-Day,Guadalcanal,and Battle of the Buldge. We dont currently know if there will be any tactical ones.

I plan on making a game based on Torbruk If I have time to do so.

• Maybe not torbruk but something like the battle of el amlamein. I will post once decided

• @Pvt.Ryan:

If anyone hasn’t taken the battle for berlin i’d like to stake my claim on it. I need a game with russian. gotta love those vodka drinking german killing snow marching bad a**es

During the Soviet drive towards Berlin, the Russian troops at the front end of the advance sometimes put up inspirational signs along the roadside for the benefit of their comrades coming up behind them – things like “Fifty Kilometers to the Lair of the Fascist Beast!”

In his book “The Last Battle,” Cornelius Ryan says that when the Russians launched their big assault across the Oder, some of the Russian troops were so eager to fight the Germans defending Berlin that they didn’t even wait for the assault boats and portable bridges: they threw themselves into the river (equipment and all) and swam across.  As I recall, Ryan points out that a lot of these guys had lost everything during the German occupation --their families, their villages – and that the only thing they had left to live for was revenge.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m