If UK Pacific fleet survives EI battle intact, can the Axis still win?

• Has anyone come back from the total reverse of the UK Pacific fleet surviving intact(lost the Aus Sub) whilst defeating Japan’s EI fleet?
    We witnessed this yesterday  awe struck. My first thought was: game over Axis, Turn 1.
    Could only play 4 turns. Japan has run riot in Asia, India has not been touched and they have lost 5 Islands (12IPCs). Russia will fall as US has gone KJF. Germany had done a good job, but failed to take Egypt on G3. There is a UK fleet, but US Atlantic one was lost to German Air.
    US has just taken the Philippines.
    Despite the Axis Asian mainland gains and the elimination of Russia imminent, I still think there is no hope of an Axis victory.
    Am I right in thinking it is because the UK Pacific fleet survived?

• Customizer

Okay, first let me ask this: When you say “they” have lost 5 Islands, are you referring to Japan or India?
    I’m going to assume you mean Japan, since the UK spanked them in the fleet action. Plus, if USA is going KJF, then I would imagine there is not a lot of Japanese naval activity happening. But Japan is going strong against China and SE Asia, right?
    Well, if Russia is about to fall, I wouldn’t say the Axis is out of the game just yet. Once Germany takes out Moscow, they can hit the UK with quite a bit more stuff and even prepare for a Sealion.
    So there isn’t much US presence in the Atlantic or Europe, right? What is the UK doing? Are they trying to invade anywhere in Europe?
    You said Germany didn’t get Egypt, so does the UK pretty much rule Africa and the Middle East?

• Hi Knp. Yes Japan has lost 5 islands, including the Philippines, for a total 12, but has made 12 IPC gains in Asia proper. UK is up 8 too and has a CV, 2DD and 2APs off England. Scandinavia is still German. US has no Atlantic presence.
    The Axis player thinks he still has a chance, so we are playing on(in 3 weeks).
    I just think the US can now build an IC on the Philippines and take Shanghai too. US has 11 ships to Japan’s 3.
    I understand Germany can build 8 units in Moscow on G6 and go deeper into Japanese held lands to aid him take India and hold what he holds or fend off the UK, but is it too late for them to win?
    I suppose I really wanted to know if anyone else had witnessed the UK survive the EI battle so comprehensively.
    Thanks for your time.

• Can the axis win? Sure.  Will they? Probably not.  You should play on though.  I’m sure once Japan is surrounded by the US/UK fleet and kicked off Asia, he’ll concede. I would just concetrate with the UK to build UK defense/India attack force (you should attack now with India if you can), use the US to open a hole/protect attack force for India, and if you know you can’t hold Russia, get froggy and open up China or the Northern route (Scandanavia or Siberia, preferably Siberia to help kick the Japanese off the continent, but Scandanavia could allow the Brits to come). Â

Now, If I was the Axis, I would see if I could allow Japan to take Russia and then defend it with German troops.  Germany may have to do lots of the dirty here, but this gives Japan time to continue to build a defense for Japan/Moscow.  The Germans will need to get a naval presence to see if it can take US eye off the prize of kicking Japan off the continent. Â

Remember, “… a true victory is to make your enemy see they were wrong to oppose you in the first place. To force them to acknowledge your greatness” Spoken by the great Gul Dukat.

• Thanks Mallery. As I said before, nice to hear from you again.
    I can see Germany will have  options soon as Moscow falls(G5), but the weak link is Japan. Without a fleet they are dead in the water. I think India is safe, but suppose Germany is holding out for its fall next.
    We will play and I will post results here.
    Will be 11th Nov.
    keep well.

• Axis powers seem to have little chance of victory. Could happen, but very unlikely.

• Thanks Worsham. I have 2 weeks to formulate an Axis bashing strategy, as I would hate to be wrong!

• Customizer

Yeah, an Axis victory does seem unlikely. Are you going for a Victory City win or just all-out smash your enemies win?
    Perhaps if Japan can keep a strong enough defense in Tokyo so that the Allies can’t take it, and keep a strong enough force in Asia, like perhaps putting an IC in Manchuria to counter any US landings or UK troops coming up from India, and Germany does take out Russia and manages to keep UK out of Europe, then an Axis victory could be possible.
    After taking Russia, Germany could sweep down through the Middle East and get Egypt and India. Better yet, they could pound India weak enough for Japan to take it so Japan would have another IC on the mainland.
    However, if the US ends up taking Tokyo, then the US and UK can gang up on Germany. If the UK can manage landings in Europe, Germany will have to try and take those territories back which will mean less troops to help Japan in the east.
    You might end up with an Allied victory, but it sounds like it will be a long, drawn out game.
    As for the fleet action between UK and Japan down by the East Indies, we have played 1942 2e about 3 times now. In one game, UK attacked and lost to Japan miserably. In another game, UK attacked and won against Japan, but only had the carrier and 1 fighter left. In the third game, UK did not attack the Japanese fleet. So, no I have not seen a situation where the UK wins that battle so impressively.

• Hi again Knp. I felt sorry for the Axis player:  was far too unlucky.
    Are playing VC win and I would not expect Tokyo to fall. I have faith in his abilities. We must hold India, but if we do not put pressure on Germany’s western possessions, we could be hit hard from Moscow. I suppose if he takes that with 10+ units surviving, we might be in trouble.
    I believe the Axis only win if they win quickly and I know that applies to 1940. It might not be true in this version.  I also remember Hobbes saying the Axis need to hit a combined total of 80IPCs to win. That has not happened, despite Japan doing more than her share of conquests. Moscow’s 8 will tip the balance in his favour. 
    As I have said do not want to throw away the Allied victory I believe we have on the cards by bad play, so will study our options. (We are 3 players, one Axis.)

• @wittmann:

I believe the Axis only win if they win quickly and I know that applies to 1940. It might not be true in this version.  I also remember Hobbes saying the Axis need to hit a combined total of 80IPCs to win. That has not happened, despite Japan doing more than her share of conquests. Moscow’s 8 will tip the balance in his favour. 
    As I have said do not want to throw away the Allied victory I believe we have on the cards by bad play, so will study our options. (We are 3 players, one Axis.)

On 1st Ed. the breakout point for Axis was around 84 IPC (half the world’s income) - once Axis got and held to that number either the Allies stop them or they’ll most likely lose Russia (and the game).

• Hi Hobbes. Not heard from uou in a while. Hope you have been well.
    Thanks for that. With the capture of Moscow( imminentG5) the Axiz score will be 85.
    Was very confident of Allied victory, until I set up game where we left it. Not sure now.
    Hope yo finish on 11th Nov.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m