Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• '12

@DFWSupertrooper:

@knp7765:

I have been keeping some track of these for my own use.  Here is what I have so far.  I hope these line up right:
    UNIT                           ITALY                                   GERMANY                                        USA
    Artillery                      105 mm                               88mm w/blast shield   
    Armor 1                      Carro Armato 41                 PzKpfw VI or Tiger I
    Armor 2                      Semovente 75/18               King Tiger
    Mech                          Autoblinda 41                      SdKfz 251 Half-track
    Truck                          Fiat 626                               Opel Blitz                                       GMC
    Fighter                       Macchi C202 Folgore            Messerschmidt Bf 109                    F6F Hellcat
    Tac                             Breda BA.65                         Junkers Ju 87 Stuka                       TBF Avenger
    Bomber                      SM-79 Sparviero                  Heinkel He 111                               B-24 Liberator
    Transport plane         BR.20                                   Junkers Ju 52                                 C-47 Skytrain
    Aircraft Carrier           Aquila                                   Graf Zepplin                                   Enterprise
    Battleship                  Littorio                                  Bismarck         
    Cruiser                       Zara                                     Graf Spee (pocket battleship)        Wichita
    Destroyer                   Soldati                                  Narvik
    Submarine                  ?                                           Type VII
    Transport                   ?                                           Altmark

To assist you, knp:  I think the Italian submarine was a Marcello class (at least that was included in earlier discussions in this saga) - not 100% sure though…

Also, a question for FMG I guess…earlier it was established that for the Krauts it was a Zerstorer Class DD (not Narvik) & a Hilfskruezer Class Transport (not Altmark)…has this been revised to a Narvik & Altmark?  Just making sure for my notes!!  :-D

Ohh…and the Italian Transport class was never released officially!

• Customizer

Hey DFW,
    Thanks for the tip on the Italian Sub.  The Transport ship for Italy was shown a long time ago when we were first discussing this project.  Many, many pages back, before we even had any sculpts to see, Jeremy showed us some photos of the actual ships to be used for Italy and one was the Transport.  I’m just too lazy to go back and try to find them.

Oh yeah, on the Nazi’s (pronounced Nah-zees, ha ha) ships, the Zerstorer and Hilfskruezer classes were OOB.  The Narvik and Altmark are FMG’s.

• '12

@knp7765:

Hey DFW,
    Thanks for the tip on the Italian Sub.  The Transport ship for Italy was shown a long time ago when we were first discussing this project.  Many, many pages back, before we even had any sculpts to see, Jeremy showed us some photos of the actual ships to be used for Italy and one was the Transport.  I’m just too lazy to go back and try to find them.

Oh yeah, on the Nazi’s (pronounced Nah-zees, ha ha) ships, the Zerstorer and Hilfskruezer classes were OOB.  The Narvik and Altmark are FMG’s.

Sweet…thanks for the confirmation - I knew the Italian Transport picture was released, but do we have a class for it yet?  I’ll go find it if so but I never saw the class labeled as they were putting out pictures.  I suppose FMG will be doing its own master list now after these most recent posts and then I’ll find out for sure, but…oh well…thanks again!  :-)

• '12

Also, Im fairly certain the Itlaian Artillery for FMG was established to be the Bohler 47mm M35, not a 105mm.  Check the pictures out on wikipedia, and I think you’ll concur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_47/32_M35

Not knocking anyone’s efforts here just want the lists to be right…everything else on knp’s list looks spot on from my early notes from this thread.

• Customizer

Well, you are right.  That 47/32 artillery piece sure does look an awful lot like the FMG Italian Artillery.  By the way, I don’t mind being corrected.  I would much rather someone come in and let me know the correct model.

I thought the Bohler 47mm AT gun was Romanian.  I got that from the A&A Minis collection “Contested Skies”.  Now that I think about it, that piece looks a lot like FMG’s piece too.

Here is what I was going by when I made my list.  Is it possible that all Italian artillery pieces kind of looked alike even if the caliber was different?

Sciulpt Artillery.jpg

• '12

@knp7765:

Well, you are right.  That 47/32 artillery piece sure does look an awful lot like the FMG Italian Artillery.  By the way, I don’t mind being corrected.  I would much rather someone come in and let me know the correct model.

I thought the Bohler 47mm AT gun was Romanian.  I got that from the A&A Minis collection “Contested Skies”.  Now that I think about it, that piece looks a lot like FMG’s piece too.

Here is what I was going by when I made my list.  Is it possible that all Italian artillery pieces kind of looked alike even if the caliber was different?

Well…good question…I confess I’m not that much of an expert - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…waaahhhahahahaha!  :-D

• I can’t wait to perorder my Germans.
    I also am very excited about the French and ANZAC Dice.  Seems wrong to roll for those countries with anything but their own dice.
    The day is approaching…I wonder if the Italians do better in the game with the new improved pieces. Well at least until the others arrive. :-)

• Customizer

I’m with you boboshonda.  As much as I want my new Italian combat units, I am also very anxious to get my France and ANZAC combat dice.  Right now I use black dice with white pips for France and black dice with red pips for ANZAC.  I am SO looking forward to them having their own dice.

• '12

@knp7765:

I’m with you boboshonda.  As much as I want my new Italian combat units, I am also very anxious to get my France and ANZAC combat dice.  Right now I use black dice with white pips for France and black dice with red pips for ANZAC.  I am SO looking forward to them having their own dice.

You should use white dice for the French - hahha!  Yeah I can’t wait either!!

• '10

@knp7765:

The dice will arrive and ship with the ITALIANS.  There will also be a few other surprise releases during the launch.

• '12

@FieldMarshalGames:

The dice will arrive and ship with the ITALIANS.  There will also be a few other surprise releases during the launch.

WOOHOO!  Can’t WAIT!

• @knp7765:

Bohler sold the 47mm gun to several European countries.  The Italians had a wide range of artillery pieces which they used, and they did not look all alike.  I am surprised that they used the Bohler gun for the artillery, but that is their decision.

• Customizer

I just remembered that in the A&A Mini set for North Africa 1940-1943, the Italians also have the 47/32 anti-tank gun.  So while it may have been made by Austria, perhaps the Italians used a lot of them during the war so that is why it comes up so much under “Italian artillery”.

Whatever the case, I think the piece looks really cool and is good enough for me to represent Italian artillery.  Better than having them use brown German 88s.

The pieces I am most looking forward to in the Italian set are the artillery, Semovente 75/18, Sparviero SM-79 bomber, BR-20 Transport plane and Littorio class battleship.

• chirp….chirp…chirp…chirp…lol…take you time…wee will wait

• '12

AA guns can no longer be captured in AAG. This means nation specific AA guns are appropriate as pieces.  Well, the germans have one with the 88, but they need an artillery unit now.  :roll: :wink:

• Customizer

The German 88 IS the artillery piece for the German set.  The 88 was a very versatile gun.  It could be used as anti-aircraft, anti-tank and regular field artillery.  Although, I know that a lot of people tend to think of field artillery as being larger caliber, like 105mm and up.  The only other option would be to order some of HBG’s Axis Minors sets when they eventually get here.  He’s got a 105mm artillery piece in that set and he will be offering them in the same shade of grey as FMG’s Germans and also in black like OOB.  Actually, I think FMG is offering their Germans in black as well.

Hey Jeremy, here’s an idea for the USA artillery piece:  the 155 mm Long Tom.

• '12

The 88 was indeed versatile and was purpose built in both the AA and AT roles.  It was usable as artillery, and shells were made specifically for that use.  Nonetheless, it was primarily assigned to AA/AT units and the Germans did not classify any model as artillery.  My objection was not based on shell size.  In fact, I think for the british that the 25 pounder (88mm) would be their ideal artillery piece.  There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s, that doesn’t mean it should be the mech inf piece.  :-D

• thatd be a beast mech inf, well that solves it after i buy all of FMGs peices ill have to play russian because mt T-34 with infantry on the back would look ****ing awesome!

• '12

:-D :-D

• Finally was able to afford to pre-order my Italians… now I can breathe again!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m