Axis & Allies RTS PC-2004 Win10fix&Mod

• @gamer1354 Hello, thanks for the greeting. Many years have passed, how interesting that you remember my little interactions in those forums.

Actually, “my” modification, was only to gather the qualities of other mods, which I liked, in their time. Sadly i am not a programmer, so i can’t create one from zero, only make a mix.
    And yes, this is the latest version of my mod mix, all the credits are in the ‘read me file’, if you want a one of the vanilla base mods that you can’t find in other page, I can upload it for you.

• I would like to use the sounds of this game for my wwii non-commercial game.

Is this game considered abandonware?

• Honestly, I still enjoy playing this game and have been recently been playing Gizmotron’s mod. Lately as well I’ve been playing around with the map editor creating levels based on Harry Turtledove’s Southern Victory series.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@bew560 Sweet

• @barnee Thank you. Though I don’t know how to create objectives, or change the AI;s names.

• @valladares https://www.4shared.com/archive/f6qXWi5Pea/Overlord_v100.html - The Link is not valid. Can you re-upload once again? Or upload your mod in the Moddb?

• @noddynod443 Yeah, the game was built in the old Microsoft code, so it is running without stability in multiprocessor computers. (tldr: skip to 2 options paragraph) If you noticed when you first bought the game, back when PC were 1-2 cores, it ran fine. Now with 4+ cores standard, the game is ready to crash.
    To prevent race conditions (technical term) a semaphore is required in the code to ensure sequential execution. Microsoft simply skipped compiling these in, because they never included this obvious tech in their development suites. (who has multi-core gaming PC’s anyway, right?) So when you have a condition of Unit B fires at Unit A, and Unit C fires at Unit A, then Unit A processes 2 “take hit” calls. The calls stack up and should run sequentially, in order, but without semaphores, on multi CPU computers they can end up running concurrently.
    When The first take hit schedules with firepower: 5, position: 7, return to Unit B. Then begins executing. The second take hit schedule the same command and overrides the settings to firepower 7, Position 5.5, return to Unit C.
    When the first take hit (from B) completes its command and delivers the hit, it then follows the wrong return back to C because it got overridden. When C completes, it goes to return and finds its return has already been consumed, thus crashing.

You have 2 options for a solution.
    1: play with a computer with only 1-2 CPUs, preferably just 1. This can be done, sometimes, by changing the hardware settings on the PC, disabling cores/threading, and rebooting. You can also sometimes change the execution settings for the executable too, and force them to run on a single CPU. This is my preference, on windows XP and 7 when supported. Also, virtual machines can be created with limited CPU cores to game on.
    2: Play on an all AMD machine. Ryzen or Athlon CPU with a Vega or Radeon Graphics card. This is the route that I just took in my latest build. While Intel is very strong, latest tech and speed focus, AMD works to have their processors work intelligently, and be geared up for robust support. In these old games, AMD recognizes the missing semaphors and injects them in as the code runs. The calling matches a structure, which the AMD CPU recognizes as requiring a semaphor, and simply adds it in, forcing the calls to run in sequence.
    I have 7 machines in the basement, 3 AMD, 4 Intels. The AMD’s (4-32core) have never crashed playing the game, the 2-core intel does every once in a great while, and the 3 (4-16 Core) Intels drop at the onset of every major battle without fail, when the heavy concurrent calls stack up. I just made a virtual machine, single core, Windows XP on my main Intel machine to install and run these games on.

• Thank you for this mod and the fix for the game.
    I’ve been playing around with it and have found a few things that seem to improve the game.

Firstly stability, I’ve tried setting affinity to run only 1 processor but this doesn’t seem to make much difference to the crashing.
    What seems to work is using a directx wrapper.
    There is a program called dgvoodoo2 which is mainly intended for older games running either glide or old directx. It acts as a bridge to convert to DX11/12.
    It does sometimes trigger a virus protector but seems clean on windows defender. I have never had any problems with it.
    I’m not sure the forums rules on posting links, but the program is easily found on the owners (Dege’s) website.

Put the main program (dgvoodooCpl) and the contents of the MS folder in the A&A game directory
    Then run the program
    Click the .\ button so the settings only apply to that game
    The click the directX tab
    Set the VRAM to the max 4096mb
    I tick force Vsync (not sure if this is necessary)
    Untick dgVoodoo watermark (if you leave it on it is a nice way to know the program is doing something

You can force resolution but as the game lets you go up to 4k I don’t both and forcing Antialiasing seems to create a grid effect so I leave these unforced and app driven.
    Click apply and close the dgvoodoo app.
    Launch the game as normal.

I played 3 battles of a WW2 campaign with no crashes at 1080p resolution in the game. Only a little graphical glitch with tire tracks very briefly projecting infront of the units that happened for a second a few times. No crashes.
    It seemed to run ok with no slowdown. Not tested 4k yet.

Ok the second issue seems to be related to windows scaling for 4K displays on windows 10 and 11. If you run a 4k display and have windows scale as recommended (usually 150%) to make menus not tiny then you will find when you launch the game the text doesn’t quite line up with boxes.

Screenshot (1).png

The simple way is to go to windows settings, click on system on the left, then display
    On the scale box change the % to 100 (instead of the recommended 150%)
    Then launch the game.

Screenshot (3).png

There are settings in the properties for each application which are supposed to allow you to individually accommodate for scaling. Sadly I find these are hit and miss and in A&A’s case need to be reapplied each time.
    Maybe eventually they will be updated to be effective.

I get the impression this game is a bit of a black sheep but I am sure there are a few people who might like to play it.
    I hope this helps others with the crashing, I can only say it seems to have improve things on my system.

• Haven’t been on here in years! Kinda got nostalgic. Nice to see it’s sort of up to date with the last post a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the link to download this mod is broken. Only 2 years old and it’s dead?!?!?!? Boooo!!!

• This post is deleted!

• @alchemist11
    The mods still seems to be up on moddb
    https://www.moddb.com/games/axis-allies/downloads/overlord-mod-v100

It seems to be the same file I got from here.
    Hope it works for you.

• @alchemist11 another mod is keeping update. much players play multiplayer everyday. there discord https://discord.gg/NAKRcFewPf

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m