• @superbattleshipyamato

Appreciate the info.

• @black

Hi Black,

Once you add the Pacific 1940 2E, you’ll experience a different game, where the Axis are much stronger.

Most Global 1940 players agree that the Global 1940 game is in favor of the Axis.

You might find inspiration at the Global 1940 Game Report Thread - as well as the Global 1940 Strategy Guide.

You’ll find these threads - and much more - under “Customization - House Rules - The Captain’s Global 1940 House Rules Collection”.

Fun & challenge is guaranteed:+1:

• @black I too thought the same thing when I only played Europe. A couple of factors majorly contributed to it, as the Axis I always took too long to take advance and I didn’t really have a grand strategy. As you play more I’m sure you’ll see how strong the Axis is. I’d suggest watching strategy videos such as Operation Barbarossa

• @the-captain

Definitely! Most of the games were Allied wins!

• To be clear folks, it’s not that the Axis cannot win…it’s just that the win is so much more difficult to achieve.

My last Axis victory was played to the bitter end…eight VCs and the Allies not within range of taking ANY back before the next G turn. Since we’ve started keeping records, I can tell you victory was achieved on turn 21.

By comparison, my last two Allied victories occurred on turns 7 and 9. In both cases, the Axis conceded but the writing was on the wall (most of their units finished, huge swaths of territory left wide open and empty, and the UK, USSR, and USA advancing en masse on multiple fronts). In one case, the only countries left to the Axis were Germany and Italy proper.

I think it’s possible to win playing either side (strategy, dice luck, and reaction/adaptation all playing roles)…but the Europe only game seems to skew in favor of the Allies.

Both my son and I are VERY interested to see how Pacific plays (with Global to follow shortly thereafter, I’m sure).
    ; )

• @tincanofthesea

Interesting. We were reading old strategy threads on this forum, and while I favor a G1 attack on USSR myself, it’s proved a disastrous strategy for my boy. The Night Witches pretty much won the eastern front for the Soviets in our last go around.

• I think the problem is with the U.S. economy when played separately. Compared to their global income, it comes out to a very small amount being spent on the other theater. Less then 20 if I remember right.

• @mr-kell

The US automatically get an extra 30 IPCs in Pacific 1940 when at war.

• @black

I always hate having the Axis attack first, based on how things historically. They lost, didn’t they?

• @superbattleshipyamato said in Underpowered Axis?:

@black

I always hate having the Axis attack first, based on how things historically. They lost, didn’t they?

The Axis powers did lose. They also attacked first, gaining victories with surprise attacks and bravado. Of course, in the end, they bit off more than they could chew.

Having the Axis attack first is historical. Whether or not the end, where the Allies win, is historical is on the players.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @black

As your Global 1940 game experience increases, you’ll need to play against multiple new players to improve your skills.

The first 100 Global 1940 games are the hardest ones - after that, you’ll master the game.

By then, you’ll most likely play with modifications & house rules, to balance the game, as well as increase the Historical Aspect, Fun & Challenge.

We (Danish Axis & Allies Community) always play face-to-face, and mostly 1 vs. 1

Including myself, 7 of our members each have more than 400 Global 1940 games under the belt.

We play the OOB Global 1940 in conjunction with those house rules:

• Axis & Allies Global 1940 Basic Expansion
    • Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion
  • 2024 2023 '22

@midnight_reaper

You’re correct. If you or I misunderstod each other, I just meant that attacking first is a bad idea, as the Axis lost partly because of attacking first, so I’m learning from history.

• @the-captain

Dang, 400 games… I doubt I even have 40!

• @Black

Interesting. Our play would suggest the Axis have the advantage, and we bid accordingly.

A strategy which seems effective for Germany, is a single push into Russia.
    Rather than hitting in multiple locations worth 1 value territory, and allowing for potentially effective counter attacks, just move the ground forces in a single stack.
    G2 - Eastern Poland
    G3 - Belarus
    G4 - Bryansk (Buy many Bombers on G4, since they can hit Russia on G5)
    G5 - Russia

They have so many additional starting forces over Russia that even if Russia does something like takes Finland (both denying Germany a National Objective, and earning one of their own), meaning they out earn the Germans, they simply can’t build enough to offset the sheer number of units the Germans start with.
    If Russia pulls everything back, giving up the ability to counterattack, then Germany can play more conventionally and starve Russia.

The money Germany gains from taking Russia by taking this direct path allows them to build ground forces in Germany on G6 & G7 ready to push into France and kick out the US landing on G8.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@SuperbattleshipYamato Sorry for the late reply. Whether it is better to attack first or wait for a later time to attack depends on the circumstances - in war there are no absolutes.

In WWII, the Axis had to attack first - if for no other reason than the war wasn’t going to start until someone kicked it off, and the Allies (for the most part) weren’t attacking anyone. As in A&A, in the real WWII the Axis had more military force and the will to use it. The Allies could trade space for time, but only for so long. They needed to use this time to train and equip their new forces for the fight against the Axis.

And so, for the Axis (in both A&A and in real life) it is better to attack first - hitting hard and fast and not letting up. After all: “You come at the king, you best not miss.”

-Midnight_Reaper

• 2024 2023 '22

@Midnight_Reaper

I think Japan shouldn’t have attacked the US in real life. Declaring war only increased American public morale and support for the war (massively).

Of course, morale doesn’t exist in Axis and Allies, but I’ve somewhat deluded myself…

Some historians have concluded that indeed, Japan shouldn’t have attacked the US and should’ve just went after the Soviets or the British.

Of course, Axis and Allies is not a perfect historical simulator.

• @The-Captain

With your experience, where do you suggest the balance lies with each of the 1940 variants?
    What bids would your play group typically play with?

• @Aardwolf44
    Based on game results from the best played OOB Axis & Allies Global 1940 games, the Axis have an advantage from game start.

The most obvious advantages are:

1. The number of German land & air units that can be purchased and mobilized within the first few rounds are too numerous for the Soviet player to counter.
      This is true if the German player either goes directly against Moscow - or try to starve the Soviet Union.

2. Japan has an option to capture India within a few rounds - or at least eliminate numerous UK forces on a scale that gives Japan the upper hand.

Those scenarios are also more or less identical if the game is played with Europe and Pacific seperately.

To balance the OOB G40 game we have seen bids from 15 to 30 IPC to strengthen the Allies.

Since 2014 we’ve played the OOB Axis & Allies Global 1940 game in conjunction with the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion.

The most profounding aspect of the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion is the economic situation, which not only balances the game completely, but also is more Historically accurate.

The Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion not only balances the game - it also brings numerous options to make Strategic Plans on a higher level.

Our experience with the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion shows that even new players can defeat Veteran players - simply because there are so many options as well as new units (such as Paratroopers, Mines, Panzer Armies etc.).

This will challenge even the most hardcore Axis & Allies players.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato said in Underpowered Axis?:

@Midnight_Reaper

I think Japan shouldn’t have attacked the US in real life. Declaring war only increased American public morale and support for the war (massively).
    (snip)

I think you are confusing a specific example with general principles. For the Axis, it is important to give serious thought into when and where to strike that hard, (hopefully) decisive blow.

Yes, Japan attacking the US was a poor decision. It was rationalized as necessary to prevent the US from using the Philippines as a base to strangle their supply lines from the oil fields in the Dutch East Indies to the Home Islands.

But rationalization does not a good idea make. In A&A, the player is given the chance to rewrite history. If you think that attacking the US is a poor idea, then don’t attack the US. Wait for them to come to you. Build up your forces in the mean time. And hopefully your strategy prevails. The other side gets to rewrite history as well.

-M_R

• 2024 2023 '22

@Midnight_Reaper

I don’t. I’ve never tried it against another player yet.

I do agree though that as the Axis you should look for opportunities in tough/actual games (as in, not against yourself).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m