AA Europe 40: Last Axis&Allies Game for a While?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Pertaining to previous scattered discussions, what comes next?

Axis & Allies has reached a pinnacle with Pacific/Europe 40. There is almost no way to go any bigger, at least not in the near future.

Will there be new AA games coming out to keep the product in the minds of consumers, or will there be a break for a couple years?

What will we do in the meantime?

I thought it about time to give all these scattered hopes and speculations a home thread.

• As I and many others have said on Larry’s site and here, I think(and hope) that there will be more battle specific games like the Battles of France, Britain, Stalingrad, Midway, Mediterranean/North Africa/Italy, Eastern Front, etc.

When they do do another global game, I’d like for the distribution of initial forces to be as historically accurate as possible without unbalancing the game. For example, IL made a game starting in 1939 where the forces and ipc distribution is accurate and balanced(I’m not sure of this, since I doubt the axis could’ve actually won. However, I think he says that Axis win if they conquers this much territory, not necessarily gaining an economic advantage.)

• @calvinhobbesliker:

As I and many others have said on Larry’s site and here, I think(and hope) that there will be more battle specific games like the Battles of France, Britain, Stalingrad, Midway, Mediterranean/North Africa/Italy, Eastern Front, etc.

When they do do another global game, I’d like for the distribution of initial forces to be as historically accurate as possible without unbalancing the game. For example, IL made a game starting in 1939 where the forces and ipc distribution is accurate and balanced(I’m not sure of this, since I doubt the axis could’ve actually won. However, I think he says that Axis win if they conquers this much territory, not necessarily gaining an economic advantage.)

El Alamein?

• That battle was an easy allied victory: the axis had stretched supply lines that had to start at Tripoli, while the Allies could get reinforcements from the Far East via the relatively close Cairo/Alexandria

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Yes, I too would like to see some more, and hopefully better/more exciting, battle-level games.

I think it very probable that they will come out with more of these… but my following question would then be: how soon?

I mean Europe 40 has not even released yet and while it seems like a long time until Christmas I am sure we will be discussing the future of the game by then. Even if it is early… when could we expect the next game?

Would Krieg have any valuble input on this?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

That battle was an easy allied victory: the axis had stretched supply lines that had to start at Tripoli, while the Allies could get reinforcements from the Far East via the relatively close Cairo/Alexandria

Italian campaign?

• @LHoffman:

Yes, I too would like to see some more, and hopefully better/more exciting, battle-level games.

I think it very probable that they will come out with more of these… but my following question would then be: how soon?

I mean Europe 40 has not even released yet and while it seems like a long time until Christmas I am sure we will be discussing the future of the game by then. Even if it is early… when could we expect the next game?

Interesting thoughts. Let me look up release dates……

AA50: November 2008
    AA42: August 2009
    AAP40: December 2009
    AAE40: August 2010

Of course, Larry announced the 1940 games very soon before 1942 edition was released(In July 2009, according to AA.org).

He hasn’t announced any specific project, so I’d expect it to be at least June 2011 before we get another game

• The battle chosen will likely be
    a) an allied victory, historicly
    b) involves americans

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

Interesting thoughts. Let me look up release dates……

AA50: November 2008
    AA42: August 2009
    AAP40: December 2009
    AAE40: August 2010

Of course, Larry announced the 1940 games very soon before 1942 edition was released(In July 2009, according to AA.org).

He hasn’t announced any specific project, so I’d expect it to be at least June 2011 before we get another game

About a game a year okay, but Larry Harris really like making the game so I could see a lot coming soon.

• @oztea:

The battle chosen will likely be
    a) an allied victory, historicly
    b) involves americans

Then the only options of mine left are Midway(not sure how to model this without a fog of war game) and maybe North Africa, although the US won’t join until the end

• How about a market garden battle?

• @molinar13:

How about a market garden battle?

Interesting. Did that historically have a chance of success if the Germans didn’t get the plans?

• Good question but as always im sure someone here has the answer to that :wink:

It would be a different atmosphere, it would historically be an axis victory, and even thought it would just involve the U.K. U.S. and Germany, rules such as paratroopers and perhaps supply lines could be implemented.

• Well, they can make anything balanced by altering the setup.

Some more battles:
    Siege of Leningrad
    Battles near Moscow
    Crimea
    Norway
    Winter War
    China Burma India
    Battle of the Philippine Sea
    Battle of the Atlantic

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Well, they can make anything balanced by altering the setup.

Some more battles:
    Siege of Leningrad
    Battles near Moscow
    Crimea
    Norway
    Winter War
    China Burma India
    Battle of the Philippine Sea
    Battle of the Atlantic

1. That would take too long
    2. Boring!
    3. I have no idea what that is
    4. Fun, but won’t sell well
    5. That’s not WW2
    6. Could be fun
    7. A navy game!
    8 “” “” “”

• One thing i have considered for my A&A games are 12 sided dice. 6 sided one get the job done but 12 sided ones give you way more options and realism. One thing that has always bugged me have been that ALL tanks hit on 3 or less for attack and defense when realistically all tanks WERE NOT the same. By using 12 sided dice you could have t-34s hit on a 6 or less while shermans hit on a 5 or less (just an example). you could even implement house rules that have advanced units. Ex. well trained infantry v.s. regular infantry would hit on a 4 or less while regular on a 2. Agains just an example but i think by using 12 sided dice you can get a completely different game.

• Dylan, I don’t use all the characters in my signature. I don’t have a % in my sig

1. And Global 1940 won’t?
    2. How?
    3. Crimea is a peninsula in Ukraine
    4. Yeah, since it doesn’t have the US. Maybe someone could make one?
    5. It happened during it(but you’re right).
    6. Yes, as long as China is tough to conquer, unlike in P40
    7. Yes, my favorite type!
    8. That was the longest battle of the war starting on September 3, 1939 and ending on May 8, 1945

• (i know my post was off topic so i made a new forum for it in house rules)

I would have no hesitation in buying a Stalingrad A&A board.

• Yah Larry should go back to making the A&A battle games.

Japanese Invasion of Malaya
    Leyte Gulf
    Stalingrad
    Kursk
    Operation Market Garden

These would be my picks

• How about a better computer A and A? The one right now is ok but it could be a lot better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m