AA Europe 40: Last Axis&Allies Game for a While?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Dylan, I don’t use all the characters in my signature. I don’t have a % in my sig

1. And Global 1940 won’t?
    2. How?
    3. Crimea is a peninsula in Ukraine
    4. Yeah, since it doesn’t have the US. Maybe someone could make one?
    5. It happened during it(but you’re right).
    6. Yes, as long as China is tough to conquer, unlike in P40
    7. Yes, my favorite type!
    8. That was the longest battle of the war starting on September 3, 1939 and ending on May 8, 1945

1. Well it’s suppose to be a sub game, not full one, and are suppose to be quicker.
    2. Out of all games in Russia why that!
    3. Maybe, just make sure they do it right
    4. IL get over here (JK)
    5. Enough said
    6. Enough said
    7. Your crazy
    8. “” “”"

• @The:

How about a better computer A and A? The one right now is ok but it could be a lot better.

thats another good idea

• @The:

How about a better computer A and A? The one right now is ok but it could be a lot better.

Also maybe a system game (PS3/X Box 360)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Dylan:

@The:

Also maybe a system game (PS3/X Box 360)

I guess I was only thinking of boardgames… but this is an interesting idea. I have never played the computer game… it always seemed kind of, well, primitive in comparison to other computer games.

• I think Battle of Monte Cassino would be a cool game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino

Basically Germany against UK and USA.

But it could be done advanced,with Germany and Italy as axis players, and UK, US, Free French, ANZAC and Poland as allies.

It was an allied win, but only after 4 main battles.

The terrain was mountains and valleys, and all unit types was in use, including fortresses.

I imagine the combat system from A&A Battle of Bulge put to good use, with D12. I dont like the hex-map, better with borders like in A&A D-day, borders that follow the mountain ranges and valleys. Some borders must be not-passable like in BotB, like you cant cross mountain big wall’s and rivers. Only artillery should be able to fire across mountain ranges, but not be allowed to move across it. Lets say tanks and artillery must move along roads in the valleys, but infantry only may cross some mountain borders. This system of movement was used in BotB.

Victory conditions:
    Assuming a 3 player game, axis control germany and italy, against US/Poland/Free French and UK/Anzac/India.

Since it historically was 4 battles, the game would need 5 battles, and axis win if surviving the 5’th battle.
    I think one battle should be like 2 classic turns.
    No new unit purchases nor re-inforcements. You play with what u got.

Axis start

• BATTLE OF MONTE CASSINO

I love it, this tittle will sell, its a winner, its better than D-day and BotB.

The battles on the Gustav line must include the Anzio landings.
    The axis units in Monte Cassino will be attacked by US, UK, Free French and Poles from south, and US from Anzio. It will be like the old castle-game, with few defenders attacked from all sides.

• how about RACE TO BERLIN where a U.S. player and a RUSSIAN player attack GERMAN from both sides and winner is the first country to occupy BERLIN. You could even include BRITIAN and have a PATTON/MONTGOMERY rivialy where there is a 3 way race. GERMANY would have fixed troop formations and defences. at that point GERMAN wasnt on the offence except for battle of the buldge. this game maybe be played in 2 hrs.

• @lnmajor:

how about RACE TO BERLIN where a U.S. player and a RUSSIAN player attack GERMAN from both sides and winner is the first country to occupy BERLIN. You could even include BRITIAN and have a PATTON/MONTGOMERY rivialy where there is a 3 way race. GERMANY would have fixed troop formations and defences. at that point GERMAN wasnt on the offence except for battle of the buldge. this game maybe be played in 2 hrs.

That’s a good idea, but there should be British soldiers.

• I like the idea of a Race to Berlin.  One player could take U.S. and U.K., and they win if either country reaches Moscow before the Russians do.  One player would have Russia, and would try to beat the Western Allies to Berlin.  And if possible, you could make Germany playable, and they win if they hold out a set number of turns.  Germany would have territories with set defenses that would boost defensive rolls for the first round of combat.  It would be like playing a a 1944 scenario.

• SEELOWE!

Now that would be a good one!!

• @Butcher:

I like the idea of a Race to Berlin.  One player could take U.S. and U.K., and they win if either country reaches Moscow before the Russians do.  One player would have Russia, and would try to beat the Western Allies to Berlin.  And if possible, you could make Germany playable, and they win if they hold out a set number of turns.  Germany would have territories with set defenses that would boost defensive rolls for the first round of combat.  It would be like playing a a 1944 scenario.

Well I wouldn’t call it a loss if the USSR got there first, or the Western allies get there first.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I am not sure how, or if, it could be done, but I would like to see some game that has multiple possibilities for victory… a number of different objective to reach. I guess what I am looking for is a game that allows even more choice and possibility than we have seen in Axis and Allies games. A game that generates many different strategies, senarios and ways to accomplish your objective. This would hopefully lead to each time playing it being a very interesting experience; something that does not have the same old strategies used as the “right way to victory”. I want to see a balanced game that truly allows for the glory of one’s own strategy, and not one’s intial placement on the board determining the outcome of the game (like Pacific 40).

Having multiple avenues to victory, and by that I do not necessarily mean multiple, different, victory conditions… although that could be the case. I just want something that is diverse in its possibilities, a game that is not stuck in a rut of “this is what happens every game”… a game where you can do something your opponent might not expect or see.

I don’t know… this might be difficult or impossible to achieve with a historical game, because certain things are known and must be present, like victory conditions or units or whatever. But it is worth exploring. It is not that I think Axis and Allies, as a game, is broken, in the sense that you can only do certain things… because I still think it is a fun and exciting brand. However, I would like to see its scope of decision making increased somehow. I don’t know if the lack in this quality is due to starting turn placements or what, but i think the ability to “think outside the box” when you play could be improved upon. The type of game I would advocate for would be one of the battle-level games, or even a larger ‘Operation’ game, because I don’t believe Global-level games could be fashioned very well in the form I have been describing.

Maybe that is why I like the idea of a Stalingrad game; it can be as big as you want (board/map size), while it involves a limited (cityscape and surrounding) area, you could still make it a ‘big’ game. I do not mean that bigger is always better, but bigger generally allows more room for choice. There would be multiple objectives (factories, airfield?, bridges, both sides of the river…), multiple routes to these objectives and perhaps multiple ways to achieve them. No two times playing it have to be exactly alike. The only downside to such a game might be the aspect of a D-Day esque reinforcement pool, since the forces involved were of known quantity. But even that doesn’t have to be a bad thing, if it is done in a balanced manner.

• @Dylan:

@lnmajor:

how about RACE TO BERLIN where a U.S. player and a RUSSIAN player attack GERMAN from both sides and winner is the first country to occupy BERLIN. You could even include BRITIAN and have a PATTON/MONTGOMERY rivialy where there is a 3 way race. GERMANY would have fixed troop formations and defences. at that point GERMAN wasnt on the offence except for battle of the buldge. this game maybe be played in 2 hrs.

That’s a good idea, but there should be British soldiers.

there would be BRITISH soldiers under MONTGOMEY. the PATTON/ MONTGOMERY rivialry could be duplicated. they were oviously at war with each other, but they was one general trying to out proform the other. they could cut each other off, blitz, position for optimum supplies, and drive hard and fast thru GERMAN counter attacks while having to keep your supply lines open all the way back to NORMANDY or MOSCOW, if your RUSSIA. This would also give the GERMANS the opportunity to cut supply lines.

• Oh my god! What a great idea!
    CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW LARRY?

• I think the race to Berlin game could be very fun. You could make it a four player game and have the US/UK on one end, with the Russians on the other and Germany in the middle. And yeah we could introduce supply lines and if they are cut off your reinforcements can’t come through. We could use a points system for taking certain towns which would heighten the speed and difficulty of the game. Germany wins if they can hold out for a set number of turns, or create supply chain disruption for a set consecutive number of turns or the allies exhaust all of their reinforcements before capturing the city. Of course the allies win if they capture the city. And we could add another level of depth to the game with objective cards that have you trying to capture something other than Berlin to gain bonus points or a bonus reserve of troops. This could really make for an exciting and challenging game.

• @maverick_76:

I think the race to Berlin game could be very fun. You could make it a four player game and have the US/UK on one end, with the Russians on the other and Germany in the middle. And yeah we could introduce supply lines and if they are cut off your reinforcements can’t come through. We could use a points system for taking certain towns which would heighten the speed and difficulty of the game. Germany wins if they can hold out for a set number of turns, or create supply chain disruption for a set consecutive number of turns or the allies exhaust all of their reinforcements before capturing the city. Of course the allies win if they capture the city. And we could add another level of depth to the game with objective cards that have you trying to capture something other than Berlin to gain bonus points or a bonus reserve of troops. This could really make for an exciting and challenging game.

What units would be in it, just Infantry, Artillery, Mech, Tank, Fighter, Tac Bomber, and Bomber’s?

• Units that were actually at the disposal of the powers at that time, just like the D-day and battle of the bulge games.

• Either that or a supply line route, like convoys in the sea. If captured the player can’t get reinforcements then.

• @maverick_76:

Units that were actually at the disposal of the powers at that time, just like the D-day and battle of the bulge games.

May you be specific?

• I can’t since I don’t know the disposition of the armies off the top og my head, sorry.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m