• @Imperious:

AAE40 has tanks at 3-3-2-6  8/6= 4/3

so…. the artillery costing 4 and moving 1…  should be a 5/4 or 6/4 to maintain the same ratio of value to cost.

so you got either 5 or 6 points to play with and you have to account for the +1 for infantry which is not possible to account for.

so how bout artillery is a three on attack as long as it has infantry supporting it?

the game has too many defending values on land to overcome and this makes the artillery the ‘battlefield shaper’

Artillery is always fired first to start the battle and soften up the defenders. The defender uses it as well, but setting up massive artillery is not the point of defense.

Well that new 6 IPC tank wont be in AA42, right! By the way your counting does not include the fact 6 IPCs of infantry can take two hits. A artillery and infantry combo cost 7 IPCs and have 4/4 and can take two hits vs a tank for 6 IPCs 3/3 move two. No boy, this will be another infantry push machanic, don’t you think. Otherwise one need combined arms for tanks and fighters, like my national advantage for Blitzkrieg. As I said before try it, then talk. I will try the tank at 6 IPCs, but some how it will need some changes in the start up for the units on the board.

• Well.
    Defesive artillery isn’t necessary.

• The new offensive abilities like tac bmr & mech inf in AA40 will tilt the advantage to the attacker.  Some type of def bonus to counter it will be needed. Making art more versatile is a good way to do it without adding new pieces. The pairing inf/art to achieve this goal has precedence and will be easy to implement. There are a few ways floating around to achieve it.

1. This tread pairing inf/art giving inf +1 in def as well as offense is a good rule IMO.
    2. As read in another tread pairing inf/art allowing art to fire its 2 preempt (casualties don’t fire back) is also a good idea.
    3. I also like art being able to fire over boarders (maybe w/rocket tech) 1 for 1 w/inf going in.

All in all there is a lot of talk about art, meaning many think there is room for improvement here. Much of it focuses on def against amp assault.  I just hope through testing and reading all these post (lot on Larry’s sight also) they do something here.

• its become semi perminant in all my games that Arty defend pre-emptively on the first round of amphibious invasions. Gives them more defensive roles, counters the power of shore bombardment, and solves the “blockhouse” question nicely.

For instance, in my games, Gibraltar starts with an artilery to simulate the fortress there, better than an infantry.

• oztea,
    Yea I like that as well. With just some minor adjustments at set-up it seems to be very fitting. I was thinking in AA50 that def of shore lines is adequate, but was wondering if it should apply to all art in AA40. In AA40 your going to have much more fire power coming at you with the new units introduced. Being able to set up def on tt that don’t touch the sea may be necessary.

• you could just have artilery fire preeptively on defense first round in land and amphibious battles
    or artilery defend preemptively on the first round when defending victory cites and amphibious invaisons
    but that might get too powerful

People buy infantry as cheap defense and wound fodder
    people buy artilery to give their stacks a bigger punch
    people buy tanks for their speed and superior attack capiblities

artilery deserves a second reason to purchase it, because it falls between tanks an ifantry in combat capiblities and cost, and already has a puropse on attack, making its defense better rounds it out as a great unit.

my biggest fear is a german player putting 7 artilery in france, and making it untouchable, but then again thats semi-realistic, the bigger you make the atlantic wall, the harder it is to break

and im not a fan of blockhouses, its just not a fun unit. and armies have divisons and corps of men, tanks planes, etc….not divisons of bunkers and forts, those come with the territory and have to be filled with men.

Long story short…make arty more defensive…using the simplest method possible

• I agree 100% art needs a boost defensively to keep its place in the game, especially with the new units introduced.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m