• I think there is another consideration regarding the optimum sub/destroyer ratio. Since transports can no longer be taken as hits to protect a fleet, I use DD’s not only for sub defense, but as fodder for battle.

It’s great to have a DD along with the rest of your fleet, but if a group of 2-3 enemy subs gets just one hit and you only have 1 DD and no BB along, then you have a difficult choice to make. If you lose the sub, you lose the protection against a surprise strike next combat round. If you don’t lose the DD, then you are giving up a more valuable ship. Of course, a sub could also be used for fodder, but for the extra 1 IPC, I’d rather have the DD. Also, DD’s can be fodder for aircraft attacks while subs can’t unless there is an enemy DD in the attack force.

So my general rule is that when I have a large fleet to protect with subs on the prowl, I always take at least two DD’s along, maybe more depending on the attack force I’m potentially facing.

• Official Q&A

Good point, Ogrebait.  Destroyers are very useful for other purposes in addition to sub defense, so you’re definitely not wasting IPCs by buying them.

Having destroyers play an important role in fleet battles was part of the reasoning behind the changes in the naval combat rules in AA50.  It’s much more realistic to have destroyers be the front-line units at sea than either transports or subs, as was the case in previous incarnations of A&A.

• Subs have the following advantages when enemy Destroyers are NOT present:
    1. They can’t be attacked by Air.
    2. Their attack’s hits resolve before non-Sub units roll.
    3. On Offense, they may submerge once they’ve completed their attack, before the other side can return fire
    4. On Defense, they may submerge before being attacked at all.

Note that Subs also have the disadvantage that they do not block sea zones, you can have 1000 subs in a sea zone and the opponent can still move a transport through it.

On the other hand, without Destroyers, you can’t destroy Subs unless the owner chooses to let them participate in combat.

Oh, and ogrebait, Destroyers cost 2 more IPCs than a Sub, meaning that Destroyers cost 33% more than Subs, which adds up to the point that 3 Destroyers only beats 4 Subs 55% of the time when they are the ones attacking, meaning that the Subs are defending at a 1 with no special powers.

• 3. On Offense, they may submerge once they’ve completed their attack, before the other side can return fire

is this true?

I have been playing it wrong.

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

3. On Offense, they may submerge once they’ve completed their attack, before the other side can return fire

is this true?

I have been playing it wrong.

False.  They may fire or submerge, not fire and submerge.  If they fire, anything that isn’t hit can fire back.  If there are no attacking destroyers, defending subs fire back even if they are hit, since they also get a Surprise Strike.

True.

• False.  They may fire or submerge, not fire and submerge.  If they fire, anything that isn’t hit can fire back.  If there are no attacking destroyers, defending subs fire back even if they are hit, since they also get a Surprise Strike.

ok i thought it was false. I was playing it correctly.

• Very good Ogrebait, “prodigious breeding at a ratio of say, 10 females to 1 male.”

On the matter of multiple detroyers for fodder, why not bring more subs instead of more destroyers?  I figure a fleet should have at least one destroyer for the fighters, and 3 subs protecting.  Subs also give you attack possibilities, where a couple Destroyers will most likely stick with the fleet.  Of course these subs do you no good against a pure airstrike, so it depends on the positions.

I love the new sub defending at 1 and costing 6.  Great attack, great fodder or submerge.

• @Capt.:

On the matter of multiple detroyers for fodder, why not bring more subs instead of more destroyers?

Because then your fleet would be susceptible to an aerial attack (without an attacking destroyer of course). It’s interesting that there are some instances where you DON’T want to have a destroyer.

• So…. when you have a fleet of mixed subs/surface warships being attacked by only planes, you CANNOT take the subs as casualties?

• @claborne:

So…. when you have a fleet of mixed subs/surface warships being attacked by only planes, you CANNOT take the subs as casualties?

No, they can not be taken as casualties.  Only if the attacker sends a destroyer with his planes can your subs be removed by air attacks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m