The Dutch Diaspora, alternate AAG1940 playable faction

• Hey guys, I’m wanting feedback on this alternate rule I created. All the guys I play with want a Dutch faction so it’s going to happen (don’t just tell me it’s stupid) so I’ve created the rule and I need some constructive feedback, mostly on balance but also anything I’m missing in general. We will probably be playing the Alpha 2 rules. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Dutch Diaspora - Axis & Allies 1940 Global Alternate Rule
    by Eric Malone, ericmalone@gmail.com

In spring of 1940, after the successful Nazi bombing of Rotterdam, the Dutch, who were completely unprepared for war, negotiated a shameful surrender to the Germans, who in an extreme act of betrayal delayed massive armament shipments purchased by Holland while at the same time plotting to invade the country. Prior to the surrender, a significant number of Dutch escaped Holland and established a government in Exile in London. A national outcry at the devastation of Rotterdam, the theft of the Dutch resources and other such horrors witnessed by the Dutch people led to a national re-mobilization of the Dutch armies throughout its old colonial dominions in Africa and South America including the territories of Brazil, Angola, Suriname and islands throughout the West Indies. As a response to the Dutch re-mobilization and in service to the war movement, Brazil and Angola enter the war under the control of the Dutch (Brazilian, Angolan and Dutch forces). The Dutch decide to cede their resources in the Pacific to allies in order to efficiently assist the war effort there and focus the Dutch resources on establishing a foothold on South America. Chile, Argentina and Venezuela however, perceiving a very real and dangerous threat from the Dutch and Brazil become Axis-leaning neutrals.

At the beginning of the game, the Dutch are faced with the immediate necessity of South American domination. Their resources from the East Indies will not sustain them, they must expand their territory in South America and start preparing the war machine in order to compete with Italy and defend their temporary homeland. Meeting national objectives are crucial to the success of the Dutch Diaspora.

Unit Placement, National Objectives & IPC Changes

Holland Sao Paulo is now an allied victory city and the capital of the Dutch Diaspora. It is treated as any other capital/victory city, when captured, all IPCs are forfeited to the captor and income is not generated for Holland until they are able to either retake their capital or are liberated.

Holland moves FIRST, before Germany.

The Dutch use Russian units. Both the Dutch and Italians will receive an identical amount and type of units, 75 IPCs worth.

The Dutch East Indies (Sumatra, Java, Celebs and Dutch New Guinea) are treated as pro-allies neutral territories and are capture-able by allies, though they do generate income for the Dutch until they are “captured.” Once captured, place a control marker and replace any Dutch pieces with pieces from the capturing nation (not including sea units). This is to signify the transition to regional command. If captured and liberated, the territory is not returned to the Dutch, it is treated as a liberated neutral territory and belongs to the liberator.

Suriname and French & British Guiana are treated as one territory for movement purposes.

Sea Zones 66 and 86 now show a convoy marker.

Angola: 2 infantry
    Brazil: 3 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter, 1 minor industrial complex, 1 air base, 1 naval base
    West indies: 1 infantry
    Suriname: 2 infantry
    Celebs: 1 infantry
    Java: 2 infantry
    Sumatra: 2 infantry
    SZ41: 1 submarine
    SZ85: 2 transports

National Objectives:

Establish a foothold on the South American continent. Control Chile, Brazil and Venezuela in addition to all Dutch western territories (West Indies, Brazil, Suriname and Angola) and receive an additional 5 IPCs per turn.

Transfer power in the East to an ally. In order to efficiently fuel the war effort, eastern territories (Sumatra, Java, Celebs, Dutch New Guinea) must be administered by a regional ally. For each eastern territory under the control of an ally (not Dutch control) collect 2 IPCs (maximum of 8). The United States cannot take capture these until it is at war with Japan.

Resist the Japanese advance. While at war with Japan, receive an additional 5 IPCs per turn as long as a Dutch warship (or submarine) remains in the Pacific.

Italy The actions of the Dutch have insulted the Italian people and in response, the Italians have increased production, recruited soldiers and advanced through the territories of Yugoslavia, Greece and Bulgaria.

Yugoslavia: 5 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter
    Greece: 4 infantry
    Bulgaria: 4 infantry
    SZ97: Add 1 submarine, 2 transports

National Objectives:

Disperse the Dutch Diaspora. If any of these territories (Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, West indies or Angola) is under Axis control, Receive 5 IPCs per turn.

United States
    As a sign of solidarity the U.S. suggests the use of former Dutch colonies in the Caribbean to the Dutch war effort. The U.S. cedes control of the West Indies to the Dutch Diaspora and looses 1 IPC permanently.

Japan
    National Objectives:
    Search for resources. Japan receives a one-time IPC boost of 10 IPCs at the start of the game as an investment to counter the Dutch presence in the East Indies and capture the immense resources of the East Indies.

Instead of receiving 5 IPCs for controlling ALL former Dutch Territories in the East, only 2 need to be controlled to receive the objective.

Notes about balance:

The starting IPC count of the East Indies plus the West Indies, Brazil and Angola equals 15 IPCs, this is offset by the 10 IPC boost to Japan and the 5 IPCs Italy will receive for Greece, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.

• Sounds very interesting.  May try this out.

• This looks very well thought out. Keeping the game balanced was clearly a major point for you.
    Are there any new Industrial Complexes, Air Bases, Navel Bases, or AA Guns?

• Sorry, I forgot to include that. Brazil gets a minor industrial complex, naval base and air base.

• This seems very well thought out. I would recommend using French pieces instead though ( please ignore my username) because it just seems confusuing to use Russian pieces, and France was an allie of Holland who didnt even recognize the Soviets. Otherwise I love the idea of a Dutch faction. What was your reasoning for giving them Brazil though? Seems kind of unhistorical in my opinion.

• Thanks for the input!

The Dutch actually ruled much of Brazil from 1630 to 1654, prior to the Portuguese invasion. It was called “Dutch Brazil” or “New Holland” during this time. Also the proximity to Dutch-owned Suriname (modern times) played a part and the Netherlands has traditionally had a presence in the region. Ultimately, however, the connection is loose but necessary to establish a faction with the ability to generate IPCs and become a regional force.

wikipedia: Dutch Brazil

Also, I didn’t use French pieces because of the very real possibility of french pieces meeting with Dutch pieces in Africa and possibly in the Atlantic.

• Alright, I understand your piece choice, I forgot about Angola. But if the Dutch would only have to control Suriname, Brazil could still be treated as a Pro-Axis neutral and with an infantry in Suriname, the Dutch could get the Infantry and IPC boost of Brazil. I dont know that’s just my opinion I guess. Im really not trying to offend or critisize your work, just giving input.

• Yes, I thought about making Brazil and Angola “pro-ally” neutrals, but it would put the Dutch at least 1 round, perhaps 2 behind as they would have to buy and deploy a manufacturing complex, making them effectively useless. Also, Suriname has no IPC value (not good for a capital) and I decided beforehand that I wouldn’t add any IPC value to the board.

No offense taken, I appreciate the feedback.

• I don’t. Why does Italy aquire all of those territories. If the Dutch part of your rule is historically accurate then everything else should to. The rule I have made simply makes the Dutch as a fourth Allied power in the Pacific (Dutch East Indies).

• One thing I like about this idea is that it brings South America into the action. As big a board as A&A Global is, it can be easy to have too many powers in too small a space.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

I don’t. Why does Italy aquire all of those territories. If the Dutch part of your rule is historically accurate then everything else should to. The rule I have made simply makes the Dutch as a fourth Allied power in the Pacific (Dutch East Indies).

You’re right, there is no real historical foundation for the Italian invasion of Yugoslavia, Greece and Bulgaria other than the fact that Italy probably wanted to take those territories (is anyone aware of the situation?). I decided to include them for balance purposes (one could simply award the 5 extra IPCs to Japan for their first move, but keep additional Italian units) because the number of infantry on those territories just so happened to equal the amount of Dutch infantry on the board. Also, I was concerned that Italy couldn’t acquire additional reoccurring income, while the Dutch probably won’t ever loose any S. American territories. The benefits of a S. American Dutch force are the involvement of a stagnant continent, the creation of an extra faction, the ability of ANZAC and UK Pacific to acquire additional Pacific territories and IPCs since their prospects are extremely limited, an addition to the African theater and to some extent the hilarity of it all. I don’t think the Italian rule takes too much from the historicity of the situation. I think that a little imagination can be good for a game (or rule.)

Thanks for your input, what would you change to the rule? How do you play the Pacific Dutch?

• Your concept is interesting, eroxors.  I do think that it’s a bit of stretch to assume that Brazil, which achieved independence from its Portuguese colonial rulers in 1821-1823, would “enter the war under the control of the Dutch”, a modest colonial power which had ruled just a few small bits and pieces of Brazil for a mere couple of decades (1630-1654) three hundred years before the Second World War, and whose own national territory had been overrun and occupied by the Nazis in five days.  Brazil dilly-dallied until August 1942 before declaring war on the Axis (as an independent country, not as a nation controlled by someone else), despite the fact that it was in the geographic sphere of influence of the United States – a large, powerful country that wasn’t under Nazi occupation, that was geographically closer to Brazil than Holland, and which did not carry the stigma of having ever been a colonial ruler of any part of Brazil.

One subject you didn’t mention in your posts, and which could be interesting for you to investigate, is ADBACOM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABDACOM).  The Battle of the Java Sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Java_Sea) should also interest you, since the ABDA fleet in that engagement was under the command of a Dutch Admiral, Karel Doorman.

• @CWO:

Your concept is interesting, eroxors.  I do think that it’s a bit of stretch to assume that Brazil, which achieved independence from its Portuguese colonial rulers in 1821-1823, would “enter the war under the control of the Dutch”, a modest colonial power which had ruled just a few small bits and pieces of Brazil for a mere couple of decades (1630-1654) three hundred years before the Second World War, and whose own national territory had been overrun and occupied by the Nazis in five days.  Brazil dilly-dallied until August 1942 before declaring war on the Axis (as an independent country, not as a nation controlled by someone else), despite the fact that it was in the geographic sphere of influence of the United States – a large, powerful country that wasn’t under Nazi occupation, that was geographically closer to Brazil than Holland, and which did not carry the stigma of having ever been a colonial ruler of any part of Brazil.

One subject you didn’t mention in your posts, and which could be interesting for you to investigate, is ADBACOM (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABDACOM).  The Battle of the Java Sea (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Java_Sea) should also interest you, since the ABDA fleet in that engagement was under the command of a Dutch Admiral, Karel Doorman.

Thanks for the input. I agree that the whole scenario is a historical stretch. I worded the phrase “under Dutch control” as an indication of the game controller, not the political reality, which would probably be some type of cooperative agreement with the large nation of Brazil and the small remnant of a smaller “guest” nation of the Netherlands. The Dutch Brazil wikipedia page mentions that the Dutch controlled nearly half of Brazil, I haven’t been able to verify this. However, there have been several waves of Dutch settlement of the area in addition to those that remained after the Portuguese took over including many in the state of Holanda, which was settled between 1858 and 1862. A second wave from Netherlands brought more than 3500 Dutch to Brazil from 1906 to 1913. Also, the post-war connection between the Dutch and Brazil was demonstrated with several dutch settlements including Holambra I and II, Nao-Me-Toque, Monte Alegre, Castrolandia, and a half dozen more. Of course, post-war settlements don’t really matter, but there is a Netherlands-Brazil connection that could be imaginatively used as a host for this type of arrangement.

I will be changing the wording from “under Dutch control” to something else.

As for ADBA, I was aware that the Dutch had a significant presence in the Pacific, perhaps more so than “ANZAC,” which gets playable nation status. Perhaps ADBA should replace ANZAC in the game, since it was formed two months earlier. Regardless, I did add a submarine in the Pacific to demonstrate the presence of the Dutch and their submarines:

“Some Dutch ships were also based in Australia and Ceylon, and continued to operate in the Indian and Pacific oceans. Due to the high number of submarines present in the Netherlands East Indies (the major part of the defensive plans of the Dutch government), the Dutch were called, in the Asian Campaign, the Fourth Ally. The total number of submarines operating in the Eastern Theater was seventeen.” en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_Netherlands_during_World_War_II

I also added infantry to the E. Indies to demonstrate the massive amount of native manpower that could have been brought to bear if the Dutch had been more popular with the local population.  Now that I think about it, I may change this (perhaps add another submarine)… the Indonesians seem to have welcomed the Japanese as liberators. Just thinking out loud here.

Do you have any thoughts or knowledge of the E. Europe situation?

Thanks again for the help.

• @eroxors:

the Indonesians seem to have welcomed the Japanese as liberators

The Japanese tried to market their Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere as a liberation of Asia from the oppressive yoke of white European colonialism.  The countries they occupied, however, soon found out that they’d merely traded one bunch of foreign imperialists for another.  (To quote one of Frank Capra’s Why We Fight movies, “The Japs would get the Prosperity and the others would get the Co.”)

@eroxors:

Do you have any thoughts or knowledge of the E. Europe situation?

Which particular East European situation are you referring to?

By the way, my original post contained a typo: It was supposed to say ABDACOM, not ADBACOM.  Sorry.

I’ve had a thought about this part of your original post: “Suriname and French & British Guiana are treated as one territory for movement purposes.”  It might be more interesting if you treated them as separate because it would open the possibility of a conflict of some sort between Suriname and Vichy-controlled French Guiana.

• The Pacific Dutch are just that. Pacific Dutch. The capitol is Java and they have some starting units. I never figured NOs or NAs however.

• So Pvt.Ryan, the Pacific Dutch, would they have buying power? Im thinking they should, but this might just bring more unbalance. But they have to like buy a factory because they dont start out with one or something. Maybe give them Belgian Congo so thir IPC count is 12 and they can buy a minor IC turn 1. I say Congo because the territory Hollamd-Belgium consists of the Dutch and Belgians and Dutch peices would represent the Belgians too. I dont know. And they could possibly have national objectives.

• Ugh sorry never posted this. Been busy at in school. Alrighty the Dutch are basically a minor power. They have a small army and navy and airforce. The setup does include a minor IC on Java. The thing about the Dutch is is that they should in theory weaken the UK in the pacific. Would you rather have one nation or have those IPCs being spent by just one power? I mean I think (excluding NOs) my job would be easier if the Allies all shared movement, buying, and combat.

• Customizer

This looks very interesting.  Granted, it may be a stretch historically, but it’s cool to add another faction and I love playing alternate reality type scenarios.  That said, I have a few questions/comments of my own:
    1-I understand the Italian over-running of Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Greece are meant as balancing factors rather than historical events.  What I don’t understand is why the Italians are so offended by Dutch actions.  In this scenario, you seem to make the Italians really have an axe to grind against the Dutch Diaspora, even more so than against the British it seems.  Why is that?
    2-About the DEI.  I’m not so sure they should be considered “Allied Neutrals” and given over to other Allied powers.  Granted, your NO about the transfer of power does at least give 2 ipcs per territory for a total of 8 ipcs (Sumatra, Java, Celebes & Dutch New Guinea), still the DEI is a large chunk of the Dutch income.  I guess between the NO and if they manage to take over the rest of South America, that will make up for the territory loss of the DEI income, it just seems like too large a percentage of the Dutch income is based on NOs as opposed to actual territory.  Then again, since you mentioned not wanting to add territorial ipcs, I guess you did good with what you had to work with.
    3-You mentioned with the formation of the Dutch Diaspora, Argentina, Chile and Venezuela become Pro-Axis Neutrals.  I take it they are treated the same as Finland and Iraq?  If Germany, Italy or Japan managed to get some troops over there, they could land and absorb those countries, plus gain extra infantry, on their NCM?
    4-I have a few questions about your new National Objectives:
      A - UNITED STATES - The US turns over the West Indies to Dutch Diaspora, subtracting 1 ipc from the US total (US gets 51 ipcs now).  One of the US wartime NOs is for US control of Mexico, Southeast Mexico, Central America and West Indies.  In your scenario, should this read “Allied” control now?
      B - JAPAN - The original Japanese NO for the DEI was 5 ipcs per turn for control of ALL the DEI (Sumatra, Java, Celebes and BORNEO).  Your new Japanese NO states that they only have to control TWO of the former Dutch territories in the East.  Since Borneo belongs to UK/India, does that simply drop Borneo from this NO?  Also, does this NO include Dutch New Guinea?

That’s all the questions I can think of now.  I pretty much understand the rest.  One more thing, about the game pieces used.  Historical Board Gaming has Dutch pieces available in their Painted Armies section.  I think they are orange.  They even have Dutch roundels to use for control markers.  That might work better than using Russian pieces, plus it would add more color to the board.

• Thanks for the interest. We were actually able to play a game with this rule so I have answers to all your questions.

1. The Dutch vs. Italy language is intended to provide a “storyline” element to the Dutch vs. Italian situation that presents itself on the board and to explain the equal granting of units and territories to both nations.

2. The problem here is that the Dutch have no way to build units in the Pacific, so I didn’t think it was appropriate to siphon IPCs from the Pacific. I think that I will change this in a future revision to provide facilities in the DEI.

3. You are correct, they can be taken over by any Axis power. In the game we played, both Italy and Germany contemplated invading Venezuela after a failed Dutch invasion.

4. A) Yes, we encountered this and treated it as “allied control.” B) This is wrong, it should read “The Japanese must control two of the following territories: Borneo, Java, Sumatra, Celebs and Dutch New Guinea”

Thanks for the tip about the Dutch units, I’ll probably order some. Also, stay tuned for version 2 of the Dutch rules, they were pretty much a non-issue in the game I played and Italy was a beast with 60 some IPCs by round 4. Part of this was weak rolling, but there are some balance changes that are needed.

• Customizer

Thanks for the answers.  I was wondering about the Italy changes, specifically all the extra manpower and units they get.  I understand that you were trying to keep things balanced (eg. adding a new Allied power = giving Axis a little more stuff), but I also wondered if that would make Italy too dang strong for starting.  Even though the extra stuff Italy got was due to the Dutch addition, it would be the British in the Med and Africa, and perhaps Turkey as well, that would suffer.
    Japan is certainly getting a boost.  Only having to control 2 of those territories will make it much easier for Japan to get that NO.  Getting all 4 of the DEI can be really hard, especially with ANZAC and India nipping at your heels.

I will keep checking back whenever I’m on the forum to see your progress on this.  You’re welcome about the tip on HBG.  It looks like I may have to go order some of his Dutch as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m