• 2007 AAR League

Is it typically worth it to attack Japan infantry 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 (using your fighter in another battle), when Japan can hit you back with 5+ fighters and 1-2 infantry on their turn?

I like attacking with overwhelming odds if Japan doesn’t have any fighters in range (sometimes works in northern China if Japan is stacking on Yunan or FIC), but if they do I’m not sure if it is a good idea when they can counter with a very strong force.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Absolutely worth using Chinese infantry on the offense but do not over commit. Your goal as China is to kill as many Japanese units as possible, and to push back as much as possible. Even 1 on 1 duels can be worth it at times. A lone infantry against a Japanese infantry kills 40% of the time vs. 33% of the time on defense. You may also take some income back and slow down the Japanese.

You have to figure out what you can afford to use vs. critical objectives, e.g., holding Yunnan, making it very costly to retake Yunnan, or ensuring the survival of your fighter / ensuring that retaking Yunnan is possible.

• 2007 AAR League

So given the choice, would you attack 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, or 3 vs 1? Eg. if you have a stack of 5 infantry next to a single Japanese infantry - how many units do you bring in on the attack?

And assume they can counter you with at least 2 infantry and 8 planes.

• Fwiw :) I’d go 3:1. I wanna keep the Ftr alive at all costs. If Japan has other targets, probably, maybe. :) If she’s in range with nothing to do…nah :)

• 2007 AAR League

This is without the fighter.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@akreider2 yea I got ya. A second attack at 3:1 if you got enough defense for the ftr is what I meant : )

So 3:1 for me : )

• @akreider2 said in China: attacking with infantry 3 vs 1:

So given the choice, would you attack 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, or 3 vs 1? Eg. if you have a stack of 5 infantry next to a single Japanese infantry - how many units do you bring in on the attack?

And assume they can counter you with at least 2 infantry and 8 planes.

It depends on what you can afford and what other targets Japan has to hit. If Japan has lots of targets to hit and you can afford losses (you can counter his troops on the next turn), force him to commit more ground troops/stretch his other battles to retake the territory,

• 2007 AAR League

For me, I’m interested in the scenario where Japan has relatively unlimited resources to crush you (in terms of planes) and a handful of infantry. So you are balancing your goal of maximizing the probability that you will kill that one infantry, versus preserving your infantry for the 2-4 turns that China can expect to live by retreating.

This is typically in the first 4 rounds of the game when China is retreating/generally getting crushed.

• @akreider2 said in China: attacking with infantry 3 vs 1:

For me, I’m interested in the scenario where Japan has relatively unlimited resources to crush you (in terms of planes) and a handful of infantry. So you are balancing your goal of maximizing the probability that you will kill that one infantry, versus preserving your infantry for the 2-4 turns that China can expect to live by retreating.

This is typically in the first 4 rounds of the game when China is retreating/generally getting crushed.

Would hit with 2 then, but again it depends on what else Japan has to hit. Their resources are not always unlimited (e.g., Russians, British, Americans in play)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m