• '10

Does anybody think there is going to be any surprises that we haven’t figured out about A&A50?

• I would highly doubt it. Larry said that we would not be making any changes to the game after sometime in April or May, and with the details online that we’ve discussed, there is likely going to be few suprises. Kreig, will there be any major suprises that we haven’t heard about and/or discussed on the Message Boards?

• Information for AA50 wont be showing up as few as 2 weeks before the game comes out. A last minute article to sell a hundred dollar game is all that’s required these days.

• Official Q&A

@Sherman:

Kreig, will there be any major suprises that we haven’t heard about and/or discussed on the Message Boards?

Major surprises?  Probably not.  The biggest surprise left is the actual gameplay.  :-D

• Anxious to get my hands on some hardware…

• Craig,

Serious?

• Official Q&A

Besides, Imperious Leader would almost certainly outbid you!

• damn- :-)LOL, I am going to jump off the edge my desk….

Hey Craig, Krieghund,
    You guys allowed to comment on AA50 1942 Naval Set up?  I note more destroyers, wondering where, the new cruisers might end up???
    I think the surprise for Oct, is going to be an alteration in 1942 startup???

• Besides, Imperious Leader would almost certainly outbid you!

yea you know that brother.

I remember the alternate map for AA D-Day. Its was just the coastline and didnt include the territory in the back, but just a fight for the beaches. I would not buy that thing it looked stupid.

• Is there a way we could add a temporary count down timer that will stop at October 23?

• @LT04:

Is there a way we could add a temporary count down timer that will stop at October 23?

OHOOOOH!!! Goood Idea, we could even do an manual one, as its own Header thread, if a automatic one was too techy. I vote, Lt04 has the idea of the day.

• @Bluestroke:

@LT04:

Is there a way we could add a temporary count down timer that will stop at October 23?

OHOOOOH!!! Goood Idea, we could even do an manual one, as its own Header thread, if a automatic one was too techy. I vote, Lt04 has the idea of the day.

The past few weeks have been really busy here at work so I’m sorry I wasn’t able to post this idea sooner.

LT

• I have done just that except ill need somebody to make it so its a link that has the information built in, rather than you click the thing and it heads to another site. If somebody can make it happen, ill sticky it…but for now its functional at least.

• I’m still hoping for a surprise that somehow incorporates Convoy Raids into the game.

Convoy Raiding was such a huge factor in the war, in both the Pacific and the Atlantic and it would be a shame to leave it out, not just for historical accuracy reasons, but also strategic game-playing reasons.  I’m still hoping there may be some Convoy Raid rules or at least some National Objectives relating to keeping SUBs out of your seazones.  I have a feeling though, I’m going to be disappointed  :-(

The other surpise I would like to see, is some sort of rules for a one-time D-day attack.  Again, another big part of WWII not included in the game  :|

• @cousin_joe:

I’m still hoping for a surprise that somehow incorporates Convoy Raids into the game.

Convoy Raiding was such a huge factor in the war, in both the Pacific and the Atlantic and it would be a shame to leave it out, not just for historical accuracy reasons, but also strategic game-playing reasons.  I’m still hoping there may be some Convoy Raid rules or at least some National Objectives relating to keeping SUBs out of your seazones.  I have a feeling though, I’m going to be disappointed  :-(

The other surpise I would like to see, is some sort of rules for a one-time D-day attack.  Again, another big part of WWII not included in the game  :|

What makes D-Day deserving for a special rule but no other battle?  Just wondering…

• Its just the small advantage of playing both UK and USA together for mainly a nice invasion once per game. Its an original Revised NA.

• @Rakeman:

What makes D-Day deserving for a special rule but no other battle?  Just wondering…

Hi Rakeman… there are lots of reasons to include D-Day in the game…

Historical Reasons
    -it was the single largest amphibious invasion of all time, requiring the cooperation and long-term planning of 3 separate nations against an enemy having years to prepare
    -it was the much desired 2nd front Stalin was hoping for to take pressure off Russia
    -it signalled the beginning of the end of German dominance in Europe

Strategic Reasons
    -you may recall from Classic and Revised, the most efficient strategy was just dumping US + UK forces into Karelia basically giving you a big stack of Allies in Karelia, and a big stack of Germans in Eastern Europe, with very little movement or strategic planning required (you can file this reason under historic as well, as Allies in Russia was just a big no-no  :-P ).  I’d rather have the strategy of US + UK planning a D-Day attack and Germany having to deal with a 2-front war.

Fun Factor Reasons
    -the Karelia dump is not fun.  You basically get 2 stacks staring each other down until either the Allied stack is forced to retreat, or the Germans realize they’ll never have enough strength to overcome the Allied stack and just give up.  Either way, it’s a long, boring game.  Multiple fronts –> more movement and more strategic decisions --> more fun.
    -The closer the game feels to World War II, the more fun it is.  D-Day was a big part of WWII.

• Well I don’t care about the historical reasons just because I would rather allow the allies to combine on any one territory of their choice, not restricted to France, in order to increase the amount of gameplay options… HOWEVER, if that happened, they would probably use it on Eastern Europe.  I guess you are right, attacking through the British Channel isn’t an optimal strategy, which is just kind of lame.  Also, I suppose the way enhanced does it, it gives the Allies an incentive to only strike France from the north, as opposed to America threatening France and Italy simultaneously.

• Its not just for france its for any 2 allies combining up the turns (combat movement) it can be anywhere one event per game.

Its just called D-Day but don’t go by that name

• @Imperious:

Its not just for france its for any 2 allies combining up the turns (combat movement) it can be anywhere one event per game.

Now that would be a HUGE surprise!!
    I recall hearing about some Cammander-in-Chief rules from the Original Nova version of Axis & Allies.  Maybe Larry might be bringing them back  :-)
    If such a Combined Attack were to be incorporated, I would think you would need several limitations to keep it balanced:

-one-time use only
    -only one territory can be targeted
    -no unit will be able to move twice in that round
    -defender must be given some sort of warning the attack will be happening (consider it as intelligence).  I would think something along the lines that if the Combined attack is going to occur on say US turn 5, the Allies would have to declare a Combined attack will be happening next round at the end of US turn 4 (but without any declaration of where and with what units).  This would give the opponent sometime to prepare.

I could see the rule being used in a lot of theatres and potentially blowing the game wide open (ie. totally changing the momentum in a theater) with a well-orchestrated attack…

UK/US vs. France
    Ger/Ita vs. Atlantic Fleet, Russia, or Africa
    Allies vs. Japan in SE Asia, or Pacific

The biggest worry though, would be balance… I’d be most concerned about Axis navies.  Again though, the rule would just require some restrictions to keep it balanced.

P.S. I doubt we’ll see this as a surprise for the new game… but it would be cool  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m