Presidential Election (as a current event- watch the tone or it's gone)

• Agreed…I don’t think any of the democratic candidates have any real understanding of whats going on in Iraq.  They are using the bandwagon for the democratic base to get ahead in the primary.  I feel this may backlash against them in the general election.  In this area Obama is “bright eyed” and Clinton is not much better.

• 2007 AAR League

well clinton wins ohio.  i think.

what about texas, will obama carry the day.

will clinton leave the race if she loses texas, or will she insist on going on?

• @dezrtfish:

Barring some strange occurence, McCain is going to be president.  Get used to the Idea.

My prediction is that the Obama bandwagon wont lose its wheels and he will be the next president, but the race will be close.

About his middle name:  Theres nothing wrong with using his middle name, but its not even in the same ballpark as saying ‘George W. Bush’.  The W is there to distinguish him from his father.  Using ‘Hussein’ doesnt distinguish him form anything, but instead tries to tie him to saddam and is a subtle attempt to influence ignorant americans who would refuse to vote for somebody based off of their ethnic and religious background.

Using the argument that its no different than using W is like when you were with your sibling in the backseat of the car saying ‘IM NOT TOUCHING YOU!!!’.  True, you werent touching them, but you knew what your intentions were.

well clinton wins ohio.  i think.

what about texas, will obama carry the day.

will clinton leave the race if she loses texas, or will she insist on going on?

CNN says less than 1% reporting in Ohio, so I wouldnt declare her the winner yet, but I think she will win there.  If she loses Texas by a small margin she will hold it out for the superdelegates.  This will be to much annoyance from the democratic party because she is doing nothing but draining Obamas resources for the general election.  If Texas is a complete blowout, Clinton will give victory over to Obama.

• '19 Moderator

I don’t think using obama’s middle name is worse than Obama’s I’ll fart peppermint if you vote for me speeches.  Or Chris Matthews Obama makes me cry crap…

It might be different if it were McCain getting jabs by using his middle name but I think you have to consider the source on comments like this one.

• @dezrtfish:

I don’t think using obama’s middle name is worse than Obama’s I’ll fart peppermint if you vote for me speeches.  Or Chris Matthews Obama makes me cry crap…

It might be different if it were McCain getting jabs by using his middle name but I think you have to consider the source on comments like this one.

Obama’s peppermint farts and the republican and conservative use of his middle name are both equally silly.

Elaborate more on the second statement, please.

• Clinton has won Texas and Ohio. I think this one will go down to the convention and I also have a feeling that Clinton will garner more superdelegates than Obama. You don’t spend 35 years in politics and not learn how to conduct backroom deals.

• 2007 AAR League

i agree big dog, hillary would get it behind doors.  the african americans will feel extemely shit upon if hillary gets the nod.  every election year more vote republican.  this may be the icing on the cake to give republicans around 30-40% of their vote finally.  that would be excellent.

for once they felt like they had the one.  not any more, and that’s going to be a bitter pill.  its democratic KARMA.

• Hillary did well today, sadly.

• 3 wins in 4 states.  The BEST the pundits had predicted for her was 2 wins…  Rhode Island was supposed to be Obama’s.

Pennsylvania will be the next BIG contest…  which will be a first for them.  I don;t think PA’s primaries have EVER counted for anything in a Presidential race… at least not since Buchanan’s era…

• @JWW:

@Jermofoot:

It’s unnecessary to list obama’s middle name and is only used as a knee jerk reaction to draw some line between him and Saddam/Islam.  But it is his middle name.

You may feel it is unnecessary for groups, the media etc… to use his middle name but there certainly isn’t anything wrong with these groups using it.

Look at who’s doing it.  It’s obvious it’s a low blow to paint Obama as something he is not.  Do they ever list other candidate’s middle names? That is a resounding no.  I bet many who watch Fox know Obama’s middle name, but could not say Bush’s for the life of them.  Is it wrong?  Well, there’s nothing stopping them from doing it.  But it’s obvious what they are trying to do.  Do you think these same people would mention Bill Clinton’s middle name?  Nope, because it has a positive association.  Nuff said.

Yeah, Clinton was a surprise yesterday…

• '19 Moderator

@Cobert:

@dezrtfish:

Obama’s peppermint farts and the republican and conservative use of his middle name are both equally silly.

Elaborate more on the second statement, please.

What I’m saying is the people that are using Hussein are not the candidates themselves, the Candidates should be held to a higher standard, state your position and why you are the better person.  Irrelevant jabbering like the middle name thing is reserved for people who jabber protected by freedom of speech.  Political commentarists (is that even a word?) are free to say what they want it’s up to the people to consider the source.

And what I mean by “peppermint farts” is promising something that is impossible to pull off, but sounds really great.  Like the Hillary promise to bring jobs to New York that didn’t happen.  According to her it would have if Gore had been elected.  So in other words she made a promise and didn’t make with the Jobs, but it wasn’t her fault.  So all the super happy things that Obama is promising don’t actually have to happen, because it’s not his fault if they’re not possible, he’ll try really hard though.

• @ncscswitch:

Pennsylvania will be the next BIG contest…  which will be a first for them.  I don;t think PA’s primaries have EVER counted for anything in a Presidential race… at least not since Buchanan’s era…

Yah who’d have thought we’d count. I bet York Harley Davidson is preparing for the campaign stop speeches as we speak. ~ZP

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

In regards to Obama it’s simple.  His middle name IS Hussein.  His heritage IS muslim.  He may not be muslim, but his heritage IS muslim and if he holds any sympathies or familial ties to the Islamic faith that may jeopardizes his ability to perform the duties of Commander in Chief, then we should be made aware of it.  Gagging people and preventing them from using their freedom of speech is a violation of the US Constitution and thus, unAmerican and VERY liberal tactic.

As for pulling out of Iraq, why would we do that when even Iran says we’re winning in Iraq?  The next president will NOT pull out of Iraq.  We’ll be there until 2030 unless something strange and unforeseen happens (like America ceases to exist after China forecloses on us after we implement universal healthcare and drop our GPD to -2.0% per annum.)

The next president is going to have to deal with Israel.  Which presidential candidate would allow Israel to defend itself and stop middle east aggression permanently and conclusively?  Which presidential candidates would allow Islam to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth and complete the job that Hitler attempted to do in the 1930s and 1940s?

As for Hill/Barry I like that they’re going to have to drag this out until August.  McCain’s a spineless little twit, he’s already gone on the record that he will not attack Obama’s record, nor run any campaigns to show how he’s better then Hillary or Obama.  That means we need SOMEONE to do it, and right now, the only ones who are doing it are Hillary and Obama.  The longer that campaign goes on, the better our chances to get a “Conservative-Liberal” (McCain’s description of himself in a speech just this week) or a Conservative into the office.

Honestly, I hope McCain finds the most, damn, Conservative person on the plant to run as his VP.  Then we can vote for the VP and hope the Pres has to retire due to a failing heart or terminal cancer or something.  After all, he’ll be the oldest President in American history, there’s a very good chance he may not survive his first term of office.  A nice 35 year old red blooded conservative for his running mate would at least give real conservatives some hope of conservative policy re-entering the White House after being absent since 1992.

• McCain is the oldest fist term running for pres, not the oldest pres.

Assuming he wins and assuming he gets a second term, he’s the oldest president.

• What I’m saying is the people that are using Hussein are not the candidates themselves, the Candidates should be held to a higher standard, state your position and why you are the better person.  Irrelevant jabbering like the middle name thing is reserved for people who jabber protected by freedom of speech.  Political commentarists (is that even a word?) are free to say what they want it’s up to the people to consider the source.

Okay then yes I agree, it woud be far worse if a candidate were to try and use it.

In regards to Obama it’s simple.  His middle name IS Hussein.  His heritage IS muslim.  He may not be muslim, but his heritage IS muslim and if he holds any sympathies or familial ties to the Islamic faith that may jeopardizes his ability to perform the duties of Commander in Chief, then we should be made aware of it.  Gagging people and preventing them from using their freedom of speech is a violation of the US Constitution and thus, unAmerican and VERY liberal tactic.

I agree that the president should hold religion out of their decision making.  Now go tell that to any of the Christian presidents.

Who said we should prevent people from using his middle name?  I said it was perfectly fine, just really annoying.

As for pulling out of Iraq, why would we do that when even Iran says we’re winning in Iraq?  The next president will NOT pull out of Iraq.  We’ll be there until 2030 unless something strange and unforeseen happens (like America ceases to exist after China forecloses on us after we implement universal healthcare and drop our GPD to -2.0% per annum.)

Sadly, yes, this war will continue for a looooong looooong time.

The next president is going to have to deal with Israel.  Which presidential candidate would allow Israel to defend itself and stop middle east aggression permanently and conclusively?  Which presidential candidates would allow Islam to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth and complete the job that Hitler attempted to do in the 1930s and 1940s?

Israel probably shouldnt exist.  No president would dare allow them to try and stick up for themselves though, because they would be called ‘the new hitler’.  The second hitler term should be applied to those who relocated the jews to that area in the first place.

As for Hill/Barry I like that they’re going to have to drag this out until August.  McCain’s a spineless little twit, he’s already gone on the record that he will not attack Obama’s record, nor run any campaigns to show how he’s better then Hillary or Obama.  That means we need SOMEONE to do it, and right now, the only ones who are doing it are Hillary and Obama.  The longer that campaign goes on, the better our chances to get a “Conservative-Liberal” (McCain’s description of himself in a speech just this week) or a Conservative into the office.

This inter-party democrat bickering is definitely helping McCain.  I wouldnt call hims pineless for not attacking obama, but I would call him senseless for not running a campaign that will compare him to hilary or obama.  People are too lazy to do it themselves, not putting the comparisons in a TV ad will just ruin you.

Honestly, I hope McCain finds the most, damn, Conservative person on the plant to run as his VP.  Then we can vote for the VP and hope the Pres has to retire due to a failing heart or terminal cancer or something.  After all, he’ll be the oldest President in American history, there’s a very good chance he may not survive his first term of office.  A nice 35 year old red blooded conservative for his running mate would at least give real conservatives some hope of conservative policy re-entering the White House after being absent since 1992.

I think having a strong conservative to offset his centrist views would help McCain greatly.  All of those conservatives that jumped ship when they realized that Romney or Huckabee werent going to win may just hop back on board.

I think we need a President who will do with Israel what FDR did with England before December 7th, 1941.  We’ll sell them equipment and stay out of the bloody way and let Israel conquer the middle east once and for all.  Israel’s already proven itself capable of defending itself against three major fronts in a matter of weeks.  Why do you think terrorism was born?  The regular muslim armies had their butts (and Russian equipment) handed to them in the war!

I think Israel, at this point, has more of a right to exist where they are then any of the other nations in the area now.  If they are conquered, we can talk about them having lost that right.  However, the ultimate definition of a right to exist as a nation is if you can adequately defend yourself from invasion.  If America would get out of the way, they would be more able to defend themselves, not less.

We need a President who understands that and will do it.  We also need a president who will move the US Embassy to Jerusalem instead of some backwater town.  Everyone else has their embassies there, that’s where business is conducted, that’s where we should be too.

As for Iraq.  The Sunnis and Shi’ites want us there.  The Kurds are coming our way too.  Pulling out now would be horrible!  We’d be snatching defeat in the war on terror from the jaws of victory!  Though, we do need to start convincing the locals that they should go to their own government to solve their problems, not American officers.  Currently our officers are acting like local magistrates and project managers to reconstruct the nation.  That’s not really their job.  But while the dust settles and the last few pockets of resistance are destroyed, they are doing the job and doing it well.

I don’t trust Hillary to do the job well.  There was an article printed in Iraq just recently about her:

“…in which she {Susan Faludi} denounced the proponents of nanny-state big government - ‘Hillary & Co’ prominent among them - for having de-balled American men in the air just as they had on the ground.  The airline cabin was ‘the perfect symbol’ of ‘the modern social-democratic state’, she wrote, with a female FAA directory who stripped pilots of their handguns and an oligarchy of flight attendants on every plane whose dictates had to be obeyed.”

That’s how the Islamic world views the American women, especially Mrs. Clinton.  That’s not a position of respect.  As such, Hillary will find it almost impossible to negotiate and, therefore, we may see an increase in recruiting efforts by the enemies of democracy and America with greater success if she is elected.

As for Barry (Barrack Hussein Obama), he refuses to answer questions as to whether or not he has any nostalgia for islam or for his islamic roots.  If he cannot answer a simple question like that, how can we trust him to do more then wag a finger and call for change?

I won’t slam him for his present votes in Illinois.  It’s standard practice here to vote present if you neither agree nor disagree with the proposed plan, but rather want to try and refine it a bit more.  Most of the country is unaware of that, and I’m sure in the other 49 states, it will be used against him.

Then we get to McCain.  Pro-Illegal Immigration.  Anti-Tax Cuts.  Pro-Universal Health Care.  But also pro-American defense.

What we need from him is a very strong conservative.  Or at least a moderate conservative.  (McCain has called himself a “Progressive, Conservative-Liberal.”  In other words, he’s a liberal who has conservative leanings, in his own mind.  To balance that we need an Ultra-Right Wing Conservative.  Maybe Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity should be Vice President. :P

Seriously, however, McCain may be wise to get Romney on board to be Veep.  He’s not ultra ultra conservative, but at least he’ll bring 40% of the Republicans with him and they can be added to the 40% McCain has.  Then they only have to persuade the other 20% to stick around and get 50% of the democrats who are pissed off their candidate got booted in late August (and cannot run ANY advertisements through October AT ALL due to Campaign Finance Reform) to jump ship.

• @Jermofoot:

Look at who’s doing it.  It’s obvious it’s a low blow

If you don’t realize that the far right or far left aren’t going to do things such as this you are living in Neverland. Your expectations are whacked.

@Jermofoot:

to paint Obama as something he is not.

They aren’t doing ANY painting. They are accurately stating his middle name and reminding everyone that he has middle eastern lineage. There is nothing false, wrong or accusatory about this. It is what it is. Now if you are upset that this impact’s some peoples feelings about the candidate then that is another issue.

@Jermofoot:

Do they ever list other candidate’s middle names?

if there were any possibility of political gain by either the right or left they certainly would. To believe otherwise is simply naive.

@Jermofoot:

I bet many who watch Fox know Obama’s middle name, but could not say Bush’s for the life of them.  Is it wrong?

Nope, it’s simply politics

@Jermofoot:

Well, there’s it’s obvious what they are trying to do.

And the unfortunate thing is it might actually effect people but that is the America we live in today. Reality bites, huh brother?

Extended names are a part of politics.

What’s Hillary known as?  Hillary RODHAM-Clinton.  Not just Hillary Clinton.

What’s Bills middle name?  William JEFFERSON Clinton

What’s Bush’s middle name?  George WALKER Bush (Dad is George Herbert-Walker Bush)

What was Kerry’s middle initial?  F

Obama’s attempting to cry foul because his middle name may stir up bad connotations.  Oh well.  Sucks to be you.  Maybe if it was that important you should have gone to court and had it legally changed.

It’s not a low blow to point out a person’s name.  It’s actually been standard practice for decades now, at least since 1988.  Not sure if people knew Reagan’s middle name during the 1980/84 conventions.  But common, people knew FDR’s middle name!  And he had a GIRL’S middle name!

If your candidate is so weak in the knees he cannot handle people calling him by his full, legal name, then maybe he shouldn’t be President?

• What’s Hillary known as?  Hillary RODHAM-Clinton.  Not just Hillary Clinton

She will always be Monica Lewinsky’s ex boyfriends wife. Everything she became grew out of being the wife that stood by her billy when he played with cigars. Her entire political career was predicated on increased exposure by that episode and only latter by shenanigans from whitewater.
        Eventually, her appeal as a woman (to other woman) who has ‘suffered’ marriage infidelity was rewarded latter when Billy became a lame duck. She took hold of the “woman can do it for themselves” mantra of the post ERA sentiment and started as a small time brigand. She then became the darling of the media, because her name was Clinton and she represented the people who hated the idea coming from the GOP “lets kill the Clinton legacy” with more Monica jokes.

Thats her summary of how she got where she is today.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m