• But of course I still like individual victory for the diplomacy aspect. More human interactions.

I am totally for this, except some people think the game is basically one guy plays 3 nations and has no idea that its anything but home study technique, volumes of combat calculations ( mostly written down)  and the idea of “partners” is always a distasteful and unwanted prospect.

For them 3 nations play like one army with perfect clarity all guided by one general,without any idea that the war he is simulating had none of this but a loose, fragmented, and distrustful unity of efforts. Each nation had specific political as well as military objectives to pursue and of which this has never been addressed except lightly in earlier days when people played the nova games edition and the Milton Bradley edition online and OTB… A piece of the game lost by burgeoning tournaments and people who didn’t want the partners to mess up their game with “bad moves”

Ahh but the excitement was always the ability to persuade others to join in on some plan for your own help on their plan.
    On this level the diplomacy was always lively. National and individual victory conditions make for shorter games, because they don’t require 3 nations to accomplish that dreaded “team thing” which was a farther goal to achieve ( hence longer games)

I hope the game can bring some of that back.

• @Imperious:

But of course I still like individual victory for the diplomacy aspect. More human interactions.

I am totally for this, except some people think the game is basically one guy plays 3 nations and has no idea that its anything but home study technique, volumes of combat calculations ( mostly written down)  and the idea of “partners” is always a distasteful and unwanted prospect.

For them 3 nations play like one army with perfect clarity all guided by one general,without any idea that the war he is simulating had none of this but a loose, fragmented, and distrustful unity of efforts. Each nation had specific political as well as military objectives to pursue and of which this has never been addressed except lightly in earlier days when people played the nova games edition and the Milton Bradley edition online and OTB… A piece of the game lost by burgeoning tournaments and people who didn’t want the partners to mess up their game with “bad moves”

Ahh but the excitement was always the ability to persuade others to join in on some plan for your own help on their plan.
    On this level the diplomacy was always lively. National and individual victory conditions make for shorter games, because they don’t require 3 nations to accomplish that dreaded “team thing” which was a farther goal to achieve ( hence longer games)

I hope the game can bring some of that back.

Yeah, secret random objectives, make it shorter, make it more individually oriented with five generals instead of “One General”.

I’m one of those with the home study technique, combat calculations, and idea of “partners” as icky.  But I think the game as it is really demands that sort of play if you want to play it well or understand how to play it well.

• yeah most of the time the game is played by 2 players for quite a number of reasons

but there are also fans of the otherwise calculation based play style
    hence we see some 5 player games and free for all games played on this forum

maybe Delxue would have more victory conditions to cater for home, tournament and even history loving fans of axis and allies

• @Imperious:

For them 3 nations play like one army with perfect clarity all guided by one general,without any idea that the war he is simulating had none of this but a loose, fragmented, and distrustful unity of efforts.

Welll that is the difficult balance isn’t it? Between soemthing fun to play and a good history lesson?

• @Craig:

IL- Who is that quote from and where is the original located?

Craig

In case you are asking me, he is quoteing Adlertag, and the original is located at Harris game design, Advanced section, 3th stage or something, I posted the link in my post previous to IL, but the place seems to be down today

• http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

it is here.

glad to help. BTW did you ever get the dice towers done with that decal i send you. And secondly, which tournament is Larry officially showing up at?  Do you think the deluxe game will be demoed?

I may land on your planet and have a look myself. I just don’t know where to park my Battlestar. :roll:

• Its strange. The link was working yesterday but now its not. So i cant find the supporting documentation, but ill look.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m