• Hi Forum……

Another question as our first 1940 game comes along…

Reading up on China Rules, I am a bit confused…is it possible for The U.S to build factories in  captured territories in China (taken fra Japan) such as Shantung, Kiangsu etc or would this be considered a liberation, leaving the territories back to China.( or does that only apply to territories without the orange shadow.) And if this is the case! I suppose factories formerly build by Japan will be destroyed with Chinese repossession?

Thanks

• Official Q&A

From page 8 of the Pacific Rulebook:

When the rules refer to the “original controller” of a territory, they mean the power whose emblem is printed on the territory. (A few territories in China have a Chinese emblem on them but are controlled by Japan at the start of the game. These territories are considered to belong to China originally, but have been captured by Japan.)

Hope this helps.

• So in other words…… they are liberated, and goes back to China!

• Thank you Krieghund, quick response.

• The only place for US to build a factory would be Korea (ideal) and French Indo China (tactical but it will return to France once Paris is liberated)

• If Calcutta has already fallen it would actually be better to go with Malaya or Kwangtung than Korea or FIC because America will eventually retake India and hand the factories over to the British as soon as they’re done wiping the floor with the Japanese and are ready to refocus all of their IPC’s elsewhere.

• It would have been better if they had made a general map where all nations had specific color coded territories with their emblem on and 1939 borders. Then that map could be used for multiple games, like a 1940 start, a 1941 start and even a 1942 start, and the Set UP chart would tell what territories were controlled by whom. This would be a lot less confusing.

I also think it was a big mistake to deny China factories. Special Rules in general are a big mistake. Just give China a few 2 IPC s territories and a few minor factories, and balance it out, and a lot of confusing would have been avoided, man

• Thanks guys…

That did make it a bit more clear.

• So basically only in Korea and France/Indo China would this make sense?

livechads

• '18 '17 '16

I did a video on China today that contains all of the rules pertaining to China;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXC3bg_5-U&t=72s

• '19 '17 '16

@Narvik:

It would have been better if they had made a general map where all nations had specific color coded territories with their emblem on and 1939 borders. Then that map could be used for multiple games, like a 1940 start, a 1941 start and even a 1942 start, and the Set UP chart would tell what territories were controlled by whom. This would be a lot less confusing.

I also think it was a big mistake to deny China factories. Special Rules in general are a big mistake. Just give China a few 2 IPC s territories and a few minor factories, and balance it out, and a lot of confusing would have been avoided, man

I don’t see your first point.

Second point I completely disagree with. Japan would just make a bee line for those factories.

• @Narvik:

It would have been better if they had made a general map where all nations had specific color coded territories with their emblem on and 1939 borders. Then that map could be used for multiple games, like a 1940 start, a 1941 start and even a 1942 start, and the Set UP chart would tell what territories were controlled by whom. This would be a lot less confusing.

Personally I think with G40, they should of had all the Chinese territories their color and then force the Japanese players to put their markers on Sino territories they control.

• Yes, that would make much more sense to have all Chinese territories have the Chinese color, then have Japan put their control markers on coastal China, rather than having the somewhat ambiguous Japan color but China emblem on the coast

• Yeah, exactly. It sometimes confuses me when I launch an attack with USSR and forget I am liberating, not conquering territories.

• When China is taking back original China territory on the coast is not the war over by then? No Japan surrender? Japan is going Iron Man and making the Allies go all in on the total victory on Japan mainland?

• Japan giving up all of China is a strategy they can use to defend against a KJF Allied strategy. They focus all their power in the South, crush India, and hold off as long as they can without having to worry about the Chinese.

• Yeah, letting China claim itself isn’t exactly a defeat for Japan, you will lose money no doubt but China cannot launch an invasion against Japan.

• @PainState:

When China is taking back original China territory on the coast is not the war over by then? No Japan surrender? Japan is going Iron Man and making the Allies go all in on the total victory on Japan mainland?

No because in no way can Japan surrender to China in anyway. I have seen several players experiment with the idea of abandoning China. Which if you think about it, China not leaving its territory is a pointless rule, you can have a thousand stacks of infantry and if you’re united, you can’t do anything in the game. In a lot of ways, I hate the way China is restricted because it completely ignores its history in WWII. You can only produce infantry and artillery with Burma road. So we’re going to ignore how US and UK tried to completely jump start the Chinese air force and armored divisions? Are we now going to ignore that China actually had a surface fleet (and yes they did during WWII) small, practically worthless but they had one.

• It has occurred to me that a good way to balance this game would be to simply remove the Chinese movement restrictions. It would allow more options for the Allies to reinforce Calcutta or Moscow or to refocus on the European theater sooner.

• @larrymarx:

It has occurred to me that a good way to balance this game would be to simply remove the Chinese movement restrictions. It would allow more options for the Allies to reinforce Calcutta or Moscow or to refocus on the European theater sooner.

And it would give good reason for Japan or any Axis force for that matter to destroy China since China is the only nation that cannot be truly destroyed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m