• Oh sorry. I should have tested the links first.

Anyway I tested these…
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/20071129_AARHE_1939.doc
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/20071129_AARHE_1942_Italy.doc

_Appendix: Scenario Maps

AARHE Standard Map

This is the standard map of AARHE. It is the same as the original revised map except for a small of border changes. The most notable being Baltic Sea (sea zone 5) is no longer adjacent to Western Europe. Income and unit setup remains the same as original map. Setup icons and AARHE information such as Victory Cities and terrain has been added for your convenience.

AARHE 1939 Map

Game starts in 1939 with France, Italy, and China as separate players. Game opening is an Axis turn. The map contains a large number of changes from the original map adding important sites such as Malta, Tunsia, and Iwo Jima. Territories are also a bit more divided.

AARHE 1942 Italy Map

This map allows for the entry of Italy into the game. It performs its turn functions independently along with the German player. This map contains a small number of changes from original map adding Italy as a third Axis player. A small number of territories are created to facilitate more historical realism._

• _Quick Start:

This short guide allows you to play a game with a few of the most important ideas to get a taste of AARHE. Otherwise you are encouraged to use the actual rules starting on the next page.

Round Sequence
    Game starts with a USSR turn. Thereafter all Axis players go together followed by all Allies players. Players do turn phases at their own speed but Conduct Combat must be done together.

Turn Sequence“Collect Income” phase is at the end of the turn. Collect your starting level of income during game setup.

“Collect Income” phase
    Economic damage is applied to income during your next collect income phase. Damage is limited to territory value per game round.

“Purchase Units and Developments” phase
    Infantry is built at victories cities. You may build infantry at Capital victory cities for 3 IPC each and at non-Capital victory cities for 4 IPC each.

“Combat Move” phase
    Air units may use up to 50% of movement points to reach combat zone and up to 50% to retreat in non-combat. Naval units may remain in, but not move into, hostile sea zones without entering combat. UK and US player may not move units into or over original USSR territories.

“Conduct Combat” phase
    Land units’ hits cannot be allocated on air units. Submarine hits cannot be allocated on submarine or air units. Anti-aircraft fires selectively in of all cycles of combat but rolls one die only. Attacker and defender may retreat at end of combat cycle regardless of the other side’s retreat decision. Attacker declares before defender. Defender may only retreat to adjacent friendly territory or sea zone. You must retreat if you only have air units remaining at the end of combat cycle.

“Non-combat Move” phase
    Air units that didn’t move in combat move may use up to 50% of movement points to reach a friendly territory or sea zone and then up to 50% to reach the destination. These units gains +2 movement points. Bomber may transport 1 infantry, without the +2 movement points.

“Mobilize New Units” phase
    Battleship and aircraft carrier are deployed on next turn after purchase._

• Quick Start:
    This short guide allows you to play a game with a few of the most important ideas to get a taste of AARHE. Otherwise you are encouraged to use the actual rules starting on the next page.

Round Sequence
    Game starts with a USSR turn. Thereafter all Axis players go together followed by all Allies players. Players do turn phases at their own speed but Conduct Combat must be done together.

Turn Sequence“Collect Income” phase is at the end of the turn. Collect your starting level of income during game setup.

“Collect Income” phase
    Economic damage is applied to income during your next collect income phase. Damage is limited to territory value per game round.

“Purchase Units and Developments” phase
    Infantry are built in victories cities. You may build infantry at Capital victory cities for 3 IPC each and at non-Capital victory cities for 4 IPC each.

==== what about the 2 IPC infantry?

“Combat Move” phase
    Air units may use up to 50% of movement points to reach combat zone and up to 50% to retreat in non-combat. Naval units may remain in, but not move into, hostile sea zones without entering combat. UK and US player may not move units into or over original USSR territories.

“Conduct Combat” phase
    Land units’ hits cannot be allocated on air units. Submarine hits cannot be allocated on submarine or air units. Anti-aircraft fires selectively in of all cycles of combat but rolls one die only. Attacker and defender may retreat at end of combat cycle regardless of the other side’s retreat decision. Attacker declares before defender. Defender may only retreat to adjacent friendly territory or sea zone. You must retreat if you only have air units remaining at the end of combat cycle.

“Non-combat Move” phase
    Air units that didn’t move in combat move may use up to 50% of movement points to reach a friendly territory or sea zone and then up to 50% to reach the destination. These units gain 2 additional movement points. Bomber may transport 1 infantry, without the extra movement points.

“Mobilize New Units” phase
    Battleship and aircraft carrier are deployed on next turn after purchase.

i think the bold changes fair better. This quickstart is too “quick” it needs to be like 3-5 pages and explain combat better and ID rolls, and such… too many thing are left out IMO> and it wont help anybody play it correctly.

• This is a just a 1 page guide for people play a game with only some of the ideas.
    Issues like infantry is simplified to 3 and 4 IPC. Hence I tried to note that this is not the actual rules.

I guess that means it shouldn’t be called a “quick start”.
    Duno if its possible to do a quick start. I am guessing it’ll end up so long that you might as well read the rules. The core part is down to just pages 4 to 18.

We have a few options we could try.
    I’ll try this next: compress the rules into outline mode and without tables.

• yes use outline mode and index each section where applicable by reference to page number in the larger rules so they can get the full explanation.

Each outline will have the page number in ( xxx) after the basic explanation. and a suspect you can use Art, INF, BB, CA…etc instead of the full word. this is after all abbreviated.

• also since this is for the long form use Infantry, Artillery… it look better than arty and INf

1  4 x inf, 3 x tank, 3 x arty, 1 x fighter
    2  4 x inf, 3 x tank, 2 x arty, 1 x fighter
    3  3 x inf, 2 x tank, 1 x arty, 1 x fighter
    4  3 x inf, 2 x tank, 1 x arty
    5  2 x inf, 1 x tank, 1 x arty
    6  2 x inf, 1 x tank, 1 x arty

also, the watermark is slightly off. its cut too low on the top and its too faded. the opacity it had last time was really good. ( now its too ghost)

• I can’t find an opacity setting for watermark in MSWORD.

Compared to pdf versions you posted, the watermark is very light.
    Compared to doc versions you posted, its the same.

The image looks much darker. (You can extract the image it by saving to htm format.)

The scale is 65% at the moment. I can increase it to 68% before it cuts off. But then it doesn’t matter if it cuts off, it just gives you full screen borderless feel right?

• the options give you a choice which is to keep the opacity at 100% (no change from original) … I think i know what happened…. its a process of making a ghost from a ghost already… thats why its lighter. I will post the original file if i can find it.

• i printed out both my file and yours. they are the same, except the top of your file has this unsightly line on top…so its actually perfect, except for this line…its very slight however.

also the 1942 rules scenario is really short. perhaps theirs something left out? perhaps we need to redo the set ups so they are similar to the 1939 scenario and add them?

• Hello all!

I have downloaded the maps for this…but none of them seem to show the IPC values of the territories. The VP locations are there, but no IPC.

Does anyone have a list of the values?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• thats because you don’t have Illustrator CS2 or adobe reader or you saved it as a PDF. The files are also in PNG format. look for Tekkyys latest post.

• @Imperious:

thats because you don’t have Illustrator CS2 or adobe reader or you saved it as a PDF. The files are also in PNG format. look for Tekkyys latest post.

Thanks, Imperious Leader…but I have checked all the posts in this thread and can not find a PNG link to the 1939 map, just the AL ones.

Tekkyy, can you please PLEASE post the 1939 map in PNG format? I would be in your debt. Thanks

PS…I found the September 24 version of the 1939 map in PNG, have any changes been made since then? Thanks again.

Chris

• @miccal99:

I have downloaded the maps for this…but none of them seem to show the IPC values of the territories. The VP locations are there, but no IPC.

Does anyone have a list of the values?

The file is in illustrator format. Acrobat can open it but it won’t display everything.
    Here is a png export version.

2007-11-27 PNG version
    http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20071127aarhe1939mc4.png

i printed out both my file and yours. they are the same, except the top of your file has this unsightly line on top…so its actually perfect, except for this line…its very slight however.

I also printed it out today. In black and white it looks ok. No faded or washed out feel.

also the 1942 rules scenario is really short. perhaps theirs something left out? perhaps we need to redo the set ups so they are similar to the 1939 scenario and add them?

Its short because its not a big variant like 1939. Originally it was just to for OOB style game with Italy as 6th player.

Obviously we don’t want to repeat what we did with 1939. There is no point.
    This scenario should be different from the other two (standard and 1939).

I am thinking OOB level of territory division. Still add Italy and Australia division.
    But on a realistic map, historic IPC (truly leave OOB balance behind us), realistic setup…

Or a smaller project would be to remove quick hack of +10 IPC to Germany with something better. Continue as OOB style game with Italy as 6th player.

• @miccal99:

PS…I found the September 24 version of the 1939 map in PNG, have any changes been made since then? Thanks again.

Yep.
    Use the PNG I just posted.
    Its 2007-11-27.

• its a small PNG… perhaps you can make a few close ups of Europe and pacific etc… so people can really see what they will be printing.

for all of you who dont have Illustrator CS2… place the file on disk and take to printers who actually have illustrator… don’t allow them to jpeg or PDF the art or it will screw it up. PDF= poor dumb fool who has no real tools and still has the odacity to call himself a printer.

• The PNG looks small but its 7200x3600.
    PNG compresses better than JPG for cartoonish art.

Illustrator has a “maximum bound” for PNG export.
    After trimming away the hidden junk below the white boxes, I can do 100dpi. I can’t do 150dpi.

You can do higher res with BMP and JPG but that needs a lot more RAM.
    I’ve got 2GB.

This is why I said earlier we should investigate why some icons show up and others don’t.
    It doesn’t happen just with PDF, but also when opening the illustrator file with photo shop.
    I’ve tried many intermediate file formats (that illustrator can save in and photoshop can read)

In Photoshop and ImageReady I can do higher res export.
    Preferrably we want 300dpi.

Or….can you set a print area in illustrator and just export that particular area?
    Then maybe I can do 300dpi exports in bits.

So whats your take on the 1942 Italy scenario?

• So whats your take on the 1942 Italy scenario?

nothing at the moment. i guess its what it is…short

• I am sugguesting these changes.

Moutainous:
    add Sinkiang, Japan, Italian East Africa, Algeria, Western Canada, Mexico

Snowy:
    add Yakut, Evenki National Okrug

Terrain bonus:
    defending land units’ +1 bonus in mountainous/snowy now for first cycle of combat only

Topographic map
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/World-map-2004-cia-factbook-large-2m.jpg
    Temperature map
    http://www.climate-charts.com/images/world-temperature-map.png

Exisiting Mountainous:
    Southern Europe, Norway, Persia, China, New Guinea, New Zealand, Gibraltar
    (neutrals: Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Afghanistan, Mongolia, Peru, Argentina)

Exisitng Snowy:
    Soviet Far East, Alaska, Greenland

Existing Terrain Bonus:
    defending land units’ +1 bonus in mountainous/snow all cycles of combat

Dicussion with Jen and Cyan.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11016.0

• Those seem fine except Japan and Italian East Africa.

IN both cases they are stronger but at least Italy is benefited. Ok add them to the rules and map and post.

The one round thing is fair as well.

• The benchmarks were
    % high mountainous
    % extreme mountainous
    population location

Reducing it one round is fair.
    It also makes realism mistakes less amplified.
    But no excuse to ignore realism mistakes.

Why are Japan and Italian East Africa not good for marking as mountainous?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m