US Map Relabeled With Countries Having Similar GDP (by State)

• This was an interesting bit of info.

It’s considering raw GDP, not per capita.

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/06/10/131-us-states-renamed-for-countries-with-similar-gdps/

• 2007 AAR League

This is actually very interesting.
    Texas = Canada :lol:

• I always favor GDP in a true economic comparison. Germany is too strong to be compared to any single state, while im not too clear on why france is similar to California… I figured they would be equal to the virgin islands,Washington DC, or North Dakota.

• Here’s another map that might interest some Texans:  http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-oil-reserves-countries-map.html

• @AJ:

Wait a sec.
    I’m from Texas and I’d much rather be living in Canada than my homestate…big difference there.

@Imperious:

I always favor GDP in a true economic comparison. Germany is too strong to be compared to any single state, while im not too clear on why france is similar to California… I figured they would be equal to the virgin islands,Washington DC, or North Dakota.

Please don’t make this thread into another one of those…
    The only thing you need to understand is that they are matching states to countries with similar GDP.

@saburo:

Here’s another map that might interest some Texans:  http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-oil-reserves-countries-map.html

I had no freaking clue Canada was no.2 in oil reserves.  That blows my mind.

• 2007 AAR League

and the US is 3rd in the world in oil production.  we dont have the reserves, i guess thats why we have a strategic reserve.  canada, us, and mexico, plus venezuala would have a lot of oil.  that good ol texas tea, damn we consume alot.  i guess thats why our states GDP’s are the size of other countries.

the best one is New Jersey = Russia.  we should have let Putin know that, we he gets full of bluster.  the ultimate insult, New Jersey of all God forsaken places matches Russia in GDP.  what a blow to russian pride.

• 2007 AAR League

This map reminds me of an early attempt by the USSR to gain seats in the UN General Assembly.

They put forth the idea that each of the republics in the USSR should have it’s own seat as a country since they were a federation.  This would have added close to a dozen more General Assembly votes to the Soviet voting bloc and jiggered around the rotations of countries being assigned to the various committees.

The response by the US was to agree on the condition that every US state be treated in a similar fashion.  Naturally, this was add 50 new General Assembly votes for the US so the USSR decided perhaps this was not such a great idea after all.

• Great, I was born in the Netherlands, and now live in Sweden :-)

As for the oil map…

Only 2 non-OPEC nations in the top 10.  And NEITHER Mexico nor the US are on it, despite Mexico’s reserves, the Gulf of Mexico reserves, Texas/Oklahoma, or Alaska (and I refuse to stop acknowledging the remainign reserves in Pennsylvania…).  I also notice that Birtain’s North Sea fields are excluded on that list… again thought those were much larger… (or is it that so many nations have a share of those reserves?)

• US is 11.  Mexico is 14.  UK is not in the top 20, but Norway is #18

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0872964.html

• Then most of the North Sea reserves must belong to Norway then…

• @AJ:

This IS interesting as in another thread we are noted as suffering and “barely surviving” based on our attempts at biligualism.  Maybe this is because Texas is approaching bilingualism . . . .

• 2007 AAR League

ah yes, spanglish.

me lamo john, and i’m going to wipe your conquistador imposed language from the face of this nation.  with or without you also senor.  its your choice.  thats what i’ll say……kind of like the guy from the princess bride always practicing what he will say.

it needs to go so we dont suffer from problems that beset every other nation that speaks many languages.  some thing with diversity.  its destroys nations.  i think thats why liberalims trumpets here in the western world.  so it will destroy us.

notice how every other nation besides the west could care less about diversity.  b/c he creates problems.  every other country just already knows that.  liberals must know this also…which makes me think their being adamant about it has sinsiter undertones…the only people you will meet in the US that hate america and wish us destroyed are liberals.  coincidence…?

• 2007 AAR League

Well he might just eat with his butt.
    (South Park reference)

• @AJ:

Well he might just eat with his butt.
    (South Park reference)

:lol:

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

Great, I was born in the Netherlands, and now live in Sweden :-)

Recently I was chatting with some Europeans who were giving me grief about how the US ignores the opinion of Europe.

They just did not appreciate that the opinion of Sweden in US affairs has less weight than North Carolina.  When the gal from Romania accused me of knowing so little about Europe that I could not find it on a map, I offered to find Romania if she could find Delaware.  When she spluttered about how she did not need to know where such an insignificant little state was, I just smiled.

• 2007 AAR League

• its sad russia= new jersy.  :cry: no wonder they have a negative population growth.  if there was a pollution map. new jersy would still = russia.  :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Interesting.  That’s in order on the list under the map, I presume?

I’d have expected New York to be in the top 5.  Illinois I figured would have been much lower.

• @Jennifer:

Interesting.  That’s in order on the list under the map, I presume?

I’d have expected New York to be in the top 5.  Illinois I figured would have been much lower.

Yea I also thought New York would be at a much higher position too.  I wasn’t surprised to see my home state California to be at the top.  Stuff there is pretty expensive.  :-(

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m