• In my modified 1936 game, I’m including a commander units for each major nation. They will be generated after a progressively larger battles (first commander after a battle of at least 10 units per side, next one after 20, etc.).

I’ve bought miniatures and going to paint them up. I’ve got some rules figured out, and I’m not sure if I want to go into different commanders bonuses for every commander and the like.

I’ve gotten some brilliant ideas from you all on the forums, so I want to see what ideas you all have. For now I have:

Grants Blitz ability to any unit with sufficient move. Reroll one dice per round in combat.
    In Defense, retreat ability after first combat round. Reroll [two?] dice per round in combat.

In my modified expanded version where each year is 3 turns and terrain and weather limits combat rounds (also contested territory),; commanders can choose to add or substract 1 combat round; signifying delaying tactics or aggressive maneuvers.

• In process of testing Commanders where each 1 is worth a value and boost inf first on attack and defend +1 on every round of combat. Each Commander has a different value do to who he was in war. Commanders A3 D5 and can retreat after first round of combat. Admirals give ships +1 on A D and can retreat but must retreat with only 1 ship after 1 round of combat.

After this test may try Commanders rated 1 to 3 and give a unit a die reroll on attack and defend. Commander worth 2 gives 2 pieces a reroll but can’t retreat until next round of combat.

• @SS:

In process of testing Commanders where each 1 is worth a value and boost inf first on attack and defend +1 on every round of combat. Each Commander has a different value do to who he was in war. Commanders A3 D5 and can retreat after first round of combat. Admirals give ships +1 on A D and can retreat but must retreat with only 1 ship after 1 round of combat.

After this test may try Commanders rated 1 to 3 and give a unit a die reroll on attack and defend. Commander worth 2 gives 2 pieces a reroll but can’t retreat until next round of combat.

I don’t think I want to give them a combat value, since a commander and his HQ are not combat brigades.
    On the same principle I hesitate (but do not disregard your thoughts) on letting them support combat units and give boosts. The great commanders should be felt across the battlefield and not on one unit. Hence the reroll. But it could work, the commanders strategy could be felt across the battle, but locally it could benefit greatly for a single combat division. Good thoughts.

As for commanders with different values do to who they are…it’s a huge “what if” game then.
    If this General was or wasn’t killed in this plane crash, or if this one wasn’t held on a tight leash.
    If Zhukov was put in charge of the Winter War, he may be _____. So I tend to avoid unique generals with a '36 start. But I like it though, it adds a lot of character! Can you give me a list of your generals and their abilities SS? I’d love to see.

I like future test (the one with 1 - 3 valued generals. Cool cool), I think that would work really well.

• Yes. Give me a bit to find and send PM

• Gents,

On this forum - I can’t remember where - someone found an italian version of A&A that had general pieces already. They had little pluses and bonus’s, etc. It was pretty cool to see Rommel, Patton, etc.

Bill

• @billinjackson:

Gents,

On this forum - I can�t remember where - someone found an italian version of A&A that had general pieces already. They had little pluses and bonus�s, etc. It was pretty cool to see Rommel, Patton, etc.

Bill

True true, I have that one page saved. It’s interesting.
    But I’m not sure…would Montgomery have been famous if Gaunt hadn’t been killed in a crash? Would his abilities be the same if he didn’t first succeed with the initial battle?
    But you are right Bill, it is a good source and I may end up using it.

• Post it .

• :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

• No luck finding it on my phone. Could be on my computer.
    Maybe a keyword search on Google would find you the topic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m