• 2 aircraft carrier + 4 naval planes attack a sea zone at max range.

A fighter from an Air Base can not return to land, so can it take part in the combat and land on an Aircraft carrier if one of the Naval Planes is destroyed? Or not, because at beginning of move it technically has no where to land. We are divided on this being legal or not.

• As I understand it, he needs to be able to land before he can join.

You can get an ‘official’ answer on HBG’s site.

• Thats what the debate was about.

The player making the move is assuming that he will lose one of the 5 planes in the attack, which allows the land-based aircraft to land.

I was making the opposite argument - if none of the planes die, then only 4 of the 5 can land, which makes it a suicide attack and thus not legal.

I can’t seem to find an answer on the HBG site - I have the rulebook et al, and its not very clear.

The sea zone in question can only have the 2 Carriers that launched the Naval Fighters/Bombers in it at the end of the turn. There is no land mass in or next to the sea zone. So from my understanding, the land based aircraft uses 4 of its 5 movements to join the battle. The 5th movement ends it in a sea zone with no friendly carrier, so it would be an illegal move. The 4 Naval Aircraft use 3 of their 5, but the remaining 2 ends them in the sea if the carriers do not come along. Since Carriers are limited to 2 aircraft each, then only 4 of the 5 aircraft have a safe place to land so the 5th (landbased) aircraft can not partake.

That is my understanding but we were split on this.

• From the rules:

Aircraft must save enough movement points to return to a Friendly land zone or carrier during non-combat movement.

p. 32

It was not legal in A&A 1940/Global. I do not think it is legal in GW.

Note: Have you got the long-range aircraft tech? Normally planes starting from carriers only have 4 movement…

• Not in this instance. This is J3 turn.

This: Aircraft must save enough movement points to return to a Friendly land zone or carrier during non-combat movement.

It is being interpreted that during combat, one of the Naval Aircraft will die, which then frees up a spot on the aircraft for the 5th, land based aircraft, to land on it…

My counter is that if no aircraft are lost, then the 5th aircraft would have no where to land, thus making it a suicide (and not a stranded aircraft).

• @PanzerPenguin:

My counter is that if no aircraft are lost, then the 5th aircraft would have no where to land, thus making it a suicide (and not a stranded aircraft).

Correct. That 5th plane has to have a place to land on non combat before it makes its attack move. Granted if one of the 4 carrier planes die, then yes it can land on carrier.

So no planes die from carriers, 5th plane needs to land on ground-3rd carrier.

• Also take into account are you playing with the " Advanced Carrier rules" or not because that will factor into what you may or may not be able to do … It is located towards the end of the rule book.  I tend to play with the Advanced Rules because it helps clear up any wishy washy problems that pop up

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m