• Anyone play this great game?  I remember seeing the tiny graphic of it on the side of the old A&A box.  I eventually got it, and it’s a lot of fun.

Wondering if there is an online component on the internet similar to the map utilities.  The only problem is the bidding system in the game - it be somewhat difficult to implement as the phases are executed based on your bid.

Also, it was ported as a decent PC game called Shogun:Total War.  Worth a check out as well.

• '19 Moderator

Great beer and pretzels game.  When we play, I try to get the max players and make sure no one is easily offended.  I recommend this game be served with large quantities of Kirin and a side of serious shit talking.

Great game…

• @dezrtfish:

Great beer and pretzels game.  When we play, I try to get the max players and make sure no one is easily offended.  I recommend this game be served with large quantities of Kirin and a side of serious sh*t talking.

Great game…

Hehehe, maybe I need to make a trip to AZ some time.  No sake or sushi?

Whenever I played, we invariably would make and break alliances all the time.  Heck, we used to do that in A&A too.  :lol:

• You have to play that Kurusawa movie called “Ran” in the backround the game is set in the same setting as this movie.

• @Imperious:

You have to play that Kurusawa movie called “Ran” in the backround the game is set in the same setting as this movie.

You know, I think the game would end before the movie finished.  Great movie, btw.  7 Samurai would be a good choice too.

• This game is great.  I believe I saw it at my local geek shop, so I might have to ask the owner if it is actually for sale.

• '19 Moderator

@Jermofoot:

@dezrtfish:

Great beer and pretzels game.  When we play, I try to get the max players and make sure no one is easily offended.  I recommend this game be served with large quantities of Kirin and a side of serious sh*t talking.

Great game…

Hehehe, maybe I need to make a trip to AZ some time.  No sake or sushi?

Whenever I played, we invariably would make and break alliances all the time.  Heck, we used to do that in A&A too.  :lol:

If you make it to AZ, I’m defineately up for some Sake Kirin or Sapuro or whatever, I like sushi, but I prefer to go out and have a little Japanese guy make it for me.

We generaly make and break alliances as well the more beer consumed the better the game.

• Yep, if you don’t break alliances in this game, you can lose pretty quickly.  Conversely, if you don’t MAKE alliances, you can also lose because, while you are beating someone’s brains in, some other guy is building up and ends up kicking both your asses.  :lol:

'Tis a great game, though.

• @dezrtfish:

If you make it to AZ, I’m defineately up for some Sake Kirin or Sapuro or whatever, I like sushi, but I prefer to go out and have a little Japanese guy make it for me.

We generaly make and break alliances as well the more beer consumed the better the game.

I will consider that an invite, and if I am in the area, I’ll give you a holler.  :wink:

Oh yeah, did you guys find that the ninja was the most bid on item?  Or is he overrated?

• '19 Moderator

I think that was a pretty big part of the diplomacy.  No one really wanted the Ninja, but no one wanted someone else to have it.  So… I personally tried to make it seem like I wanted it, but I only bid on it if I had extra cash.  The problem with the Ninja is if you use it you just gained an immediate and perminant enemy.  Guys don’t get over assasinations…

• That is true; people don’t easily forgive an assassination attempt on their daimyo’s life.  However, I’ve seen that people will bid on the ninja, succeed, and just hold on to it “until the moment is right”.  Is that correct?  Can someone really keep the ninja for the whole game if they want?

• @AgentOrange:

That is true; people don’t easily forgive an assassination attempt on their daimyo’s life.  However, I’ve seen that people will bid on the ninja, succeed, and just hold on to it “until the moment is right”.  Is that correct?  Can someone really keep the ninja for the whole game if they want?

I thought bidding happens every round?  That is…if you get him on one turn, and don’t use him, you wasted your money.  But it’s been a while since I’ve played.

• '19 Moderator

You do bid every turn.  It’s use it or loose it with the Ninja.  Some people do bid on it every turn though just to maintain control of it.  But, bidding on the ninja reduces the cash you have to spend on troops, so it’s usually the guy with the most money that gets the Ninja.  Definitely a big part of the strategy.  What is really rough is if you bid on the ninja and his attempt fails!  Your guaranteed to get retaliated on in some way.

• Yet another catch 22… If the ninja’s attempt fails, doesn’t the target player get some kind of counter-attack for it?  Or am I just hallucinating?

• '19 Moderator

Hmm… can’t remember, but my spidey sense is tingling so it might be true…

• Yup. If the would-be assassin misses, the target rolls a die. On a 9 or higher, he picks one of your generals for head chopping.

Great game.

• Historically, that doesn’t make much sense.  I’m pretty sure that the traditional ninja would’ve committed hari-kiri upon failing his mission.

• @AgentOrange:

Historically, that doesn’t make much sense.  I’m pretty sure that the traditional ninja would’ve committed hari-kiri upon failing his mission.

Well, you might consider it a counterattack after your assassination attempt failed.  I imagine it’s more of a game balance - keep people from going overboard on the ninja.

• I know I already said it on this thread, but I NEED to czech to see if the game is available at my shop…

• @Jermofoot:

@AgentOrange:

That is true; people don’t easily forgive an assassination attempt on their daimyo’s life.  However, I’ve seen that people will bid on the ninja, succeed, and just hold on to it “until the moment is right”.  Is that correct?  Can someone really keep the ninja for the whole game if they want?

I thought bidding happens every round?  That is…if you get him on one turn, and don’t use him, you wasted your money.  But it’s been a while since I’ve played.

Jerma, actually, that’s not correct.  If you don’t use the ninja to assassinate your opponent’s general, you get to use him to “peek” at one of your opponent’s purchases before you have to make your purchases – a little espionage, if you will.  That way, you know how much you have to pay to out-bid that opponent for either the sword choice OR the ninja.  If you are in the lead, it makes good sense to out-bid everyone else for the ninja because, chances are, you will have more of your generals (probably all) still alive, making you the most likely target of a ninja attack.  So you buy it up to make sure your opponents don’t.  Then, you use him for espionage.  I only use the ninja myself if I am trailing and trying to knock off the leader.

I’ve played this game several times with my nephews when they’ve visited in the last year.  It’s still just as much fun as it was 20 years ago in college!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m