• Are allied fighter & tacs, stationed on an island with an air base, also allowed to scramble? :?  I believe the answer is “no”, but I would prefer it to be “yes” :-)

• @Llordbone:

Are allied fighter & tacs, stationed on an island with an air base, also allowed to scramble? :?  I believe the answer is “no”, but I would prefer it to be “yes” :-)

Good question; I would think the answer is “yes”.  air units can otherwise use movement and repair abilities of allied bases, right?  And multinational forces have always been able to defend together, right?  so I don’t see why not.

• Would like to know the answer aswell, since I am leaning to a “No, that is not allowed.”

After all, that would mean that when my USA island is under attack, I, as the USA player, gets to decide on what the UK fighters on my island are doing.

And as my memory serves me well, there is not one situation where a player has any control over the units of an allied player. (apart from picking casualties in a multi national defense)

• @Woodstock:

Would like to know the answer aswell, since I am leaning to a “No, that is not allowed.”

After all, that would mean that when my USA island is under attack, I, as the USA player, gets to decide on what the UK fighters on my island are doing.

And as my memory serves me well, there is not one situation where a player has any control over the units of an allied player. (apart from picking casualties in a multi national defense)

Not necessarily. In your example it would be the UK player’s option to scramble her fighters or not.

• Official Q&A

Yes.  The owner of the units decides whether or not they scramble.

• @Krieghund:

Yes.  The owner of the units decides whether or not they scramble.

When does the owner decide?

• '19

beginning of combat phase, after combat movement phase of the attacking power.

• If I am attacking an island that has an air base with defending fighters/TBs, and I declare my battle during the combat movement phase, then the defender has the option of having the planes defend the territory or scramble to defend the sea zone (or a combination of both)? That is to say, if I’m wise (big assumption) I should bring a) enough to the sea zone so that if the defender scrambles all the planes I still get through, and b) enough land units such that if the defender does not scramble I can still take the territory?

If so, wow, what an advantage as a defender.

• @TexCapPrezJimmy:

If I am attacking an island that has an air base with defending fighters/TBs, and I declare my battle during the combat movement phase, then the defender has the option of having the planes defend the territory or scramble to defend the sea zone (or a combination of both)? That is to say, if I’m wise (big assumption) I should bring a) enough to the sea zone so that if the defender scrambles all the planes I still get through, and b) enough land units such that if the defender does not scramble I can still take the territory?

I agree, Tex.  I was wondering the same thing, so am posting so that I will be alerted when there is an answer.
    Believe the answer is yes, you have to take enough to win if all fighters and tacs are at sea or over the island.  Yes, huge advantage for the defender, but only on islands.  I don’t believe you can scramble on non Islands (Australia, California) but apparently you still could on Jap home island.  So yes, it seems island + air base + several fighters = very hard to take over, especially since there is no tech (paratroopers).

• @TexCapPrezJimmy:

If I am attacking an island that has an air base with defending fighters/TBs, and I declare my battle during the combat movement phase, then the defender has the option of having the planes defend the territory or scramble to defend the sea zone (or a combination of both)? That is to say, if I’m wise (big assumption) I should bring a) enough to the sea zone so that if the defender scrambles all the planes I still get through, and b) enough land units such that if the defender does not scramble I can still take the territory?

I’m pretty sure I read someone say the exact same thing somewhere and krieg confirmed that yes, what you describe is indeed the case.

• Official Q&A

Uh-huh.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m