• Sorry for all the questions but I’m trying re-teach myself these rules the right way. In the rules under General Battle sequence it says: “Roll for units with the same attack value at the same time. For example, roll all units with an attack value of “3” at the same time.”

Say I have two subs and a destroyer attacking - the other side has a destroyer, a carrier, and a fighter, so my subs have to roll along with the DD. If I roll the three dice in the two column at the same time and get two hits, how do I know which hit was from the subs and which was from the DD, since subs can’t hit planes? How does the defender know what he has to remove? Â

• In your example it does not matter. The attacker scored two hits. The defender has to assign two hits. As subs cannot hit planes the defender has to assign the two hits to the carrier/destroyer.

• @P@nther:

In your example it does not matter. The attacker scored two hits. The defender has to assign two hits. As subs cannot hit planes the defender has to assign the two hits to the carrier/destroyer.

Couldn’t the defender assign one hit to his fighter (from the attacking DD) � and the other to his carrier (from one of the attacking subs)?

• @Der:

Could the defender assign one hit to his fighter (from the attacking DD) � and the other to his carrier (from one of the attacking subs)

Good point - my answer ignored the present attacking destroyer - sorry for that.

There is a clause in the rulebook that says

@Rulebook:

Specific to Sea Battles: In both steps 3 and 4, submarines that fired in step 2 cannot fire again
    during the same combat round. If there is an enemy destroyer in the battle, submarines fire in step
    3 or 4 rather than step 2. Remember that in sea battles hits from air units cannot be assigned to
    submarines unless there is a destroyer present that is friendly to the air units in the battle, and hits
    can only be assigned to transports if there are no other eligible units.

This indicates that - under special conditions - the rolls should be separated (“hits from air units”).
    This could point to the conclusion that - reflecting your example - submarines’ rolls should be separated from the destroyer’s roll.
    But I’m confused myself now… Maybe someone else can help out here…

• Units with like hit rolls are rolled together for simplicity, not for any game mechanic reason. You could, if you so chose, roll all infantry, then all art boosted infantry, then all art, then all tanks, then all fighters etc etc.  you only pair them to speed up rolling. There is no other reason.
    So, when units have hit restrictions and your example occurs, roll those units independently.  Subs roll seperate from other navy when planes are present and likewise planes roll seperate from navy when subs are present (assuming no destroyer to spot).

Simple? Simple.

• I understand your point. It seems simple, yet the exact wording from the manual, P. 17 says
    “Roll for units with the same attack value at the same time. For example, roll all units with an
    attack value of “3” at the same time. An attacking unit scores a hit if you roll its attack value or
    less. After the attacking player has rolled for all attacking units, the defender chooses one unit
    for each hit scored and moves it behind the casualty strip.”

This certainly implies to me that the attacker does not roll separately for each type of unit in the column. “Roll for units with the same attack value at the same time.” Subs and DDs have the same attack value. Then it looks to me like the defender then takes the hit total and decides himself which attacker hit and where he wants to assign those hits. Of course he must apply every hit to something if possible. (could be one hit on the fighter from the DD and one hit on the carrier from one of the subs, two hits on the carrier, or one hit on the DD and one hit on the carrier.) See my confusion here?  :?

• Official Q&A

Kcdzim is 100% correct.

• OK thanks for the help!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m