• two things:

it was not discovered until 2 days before is passed that close, meaning its entirely possible that we could have been hit and have no ability to do anything about it. Thats pretty much making it a hell of alot more important than a whole bunch of other fluffy news. Secondly, It was not widely reported until it passed making it kinda scary that perhaps if something was discovered that it could hit the Earth maybe whoever that controls this information would not tell anybody.

As far as hitting paris, it was written that way to get people to look at the thread, looks like it worked.

• I heard about this on the internet, and it is my understanding the NEO (near earth objects) are quite common.  Maybe not of the size described in this story.

If this was reported as a possibility, what would have happened?

Outrage that we can not do something about it.
    Mass hysteria to get out of the way (if even possible)……

• I heard about this afterwards as well.  I think it was just as well we didn’t hear about it.  It would have probably caused panic and hysteria in those prone to such things.

I think it is a non-issue that we didn’t hear about it:
    1.  It didn’t hit us.
    2.  Astronomers knew it wasn’t going to hit as shortly after they knew it was there.
    3.  What could we have done about it anyway?

BTW, using Paris in the subject did catch my attention, but only because I knew it wasn’t to hit anywhere near Paris…

• @Imperious:

it was not discovered until 2 days before is passed that close, meaning its entirely possible that we could have been hit and have no ability to do anything about it. Thats pretty much making it a hell of alot more important than a whole bunch of other fluffy news. Secondly, It was not widely reported until it passed making it kinda scary that perhaps if something was discovered that it could hit the Earth maybe whoever that controls this information would not tell anybody.

Even if we knew it was going to hit, that wouldn’t change anything except telling people to brace themselves.  But since it wasn’t going to hit, there’s nothing newsworthy about it.  Whew, close call.  It happens all the time.

As far as hitting paris, it was written that way to get people to look at the thread, looks like it worked.

Ok, I see.  You must feign genocide by cosmic influence to get anyone to pay attention to this “news.”

• Even if we knew it was going to hit, that wouldn’t change anything except telling people to brace themselves.  But since it wasn’t going to hit, there’s nothing newsworthy about it.  Whew, close call.  It happens all the time.

It does not happen all the time… are you kidding? Its very serious to even have an object even pass between our planet and the moon. This object was only a few times outside the orbit of our satellites and if it hit would have destroyed about 8,000 sq miles of land just like the 1908 thing that blew up over Siberia.  The most scary thing is they didn’t know about it for such a short time that it would have not been possible to evacuate all the people in 2 days, and if it was on a course to hit us we have no way of doing anything about it and most of the people would get it.

Ok, I see.  You must feign genocide by cosmic influence to get anyone to pay attention to this “news.”

Don’t use that word here. Its totally out of context and very real events that harmed millions in the past. It was what they call “the eye catcha” for yellow journalism tabloids. Its how they sell papers.

• @Imperious:

It does not happen all the time… are you kidding? Its very serious to even have an object even pass between our planet and the moon. This object was only a few times outside the orbit of our satellites and if it hit would have destroyed about 8,000 sq miles of land just like the 1908 thing that blew up over Siberia.  The most scary thing is they didn’t know about it for such a short time that it would have not been possible to evacuate all the people in 2 days, and if it was on a course to hit us we have no way of doing anything about it and most of the people would get it.

From your article: "Astronomers knew the asteroid was coming but reported that there was no risk of a collision. While asteroids of this size are rare, they have been known to pass closer to Earth without striking. Eventually, some of them do hit the Earth with minimal damage.

Meteors can be seen in our atmosphere several times a year."

Don’t use that word here. Its totally out of context and very real events that harmed millions in the past. It was what they call “the eye catcha” for yellow journalism tabloids. Its how they sell papers.

Ok, so no one directed an asteroid at any city, but the destruction of so many people deserves something as serious as the one I used.

• Ok, so no one directed an asteroid at any city, but the destruction of so many people deserves something as serious as the one I used.

next time ill use the word EARTH, so that nobody gets harmed by the asteroid.

• I’d love to get killed by an asteroid impact!* :-)

FANTASTIC! :-D

But Bruce Willis would save us, by intercepting the thing in a space shuttle… (you know, the pride of the earth space fleet that can’t even make orbit without exploding!).

• right in the face! :lol: :evil:

• Wow, this is the first time I’ve heard of this story, and I only listen to AM news radio.

• Well you know only a few days latter another large rock (that we only had a few days notice of) missed the earth.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m