• I almost forgot it was the anniversary of Trafalgar today. (Only because I was unaware of today’s date.)
    Trafalgar in 1805, after the defeat of the Armada in 1588, is probably Britain’s greatest naval victory. It came at a cost, of course, as Lord Nelson died after being shot by a cowardly French sniper. The battle ensured Napoleon’s France  would never rule the seas and threaten England itself. Nelson’s casualties were about 1000, no ships lost, to the French/Spanish 22 ships lost and 12000 sailor casualties.

Not that I need an excuse for a drink, but I shall enjoy my first one, remembering today’s victory 209 years ago.

• @wittmann:

Not that I need an excuse for a drink, but I shall enjoy my first one, remembering today’s victory 209 years ago.

As they say in the Royal Navy: splice the mainbrace!  Rum would be the drink of choice if you were to imagine yourself as one of the enlisted sailors, or gin if you were to imagine yourself as one of the officers.

Nelson’s body was returned to Britain preserved in a cask of brandy, something which has always impressed me.

• Hi Marc. Will break with protocol and toast the  English sailors with Russian heritage fighting that day.
    I detest gin and have no rum in the house.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m