Thanks for sharing the info on the Bob Semple tank, that was a fun little piece of trivia to learn about! I guess it was an attempt to beat plowshares into swords…
Sounds like they’d have been better off trying to convert some kind of car or light truck into an armored car, though, as tractors just aren’t geared right to make into tanks…
As to the Brits & ANZACs and their Matilda’s: I guess it’s kind of nice to get them a different model for variety/ visual appeal, but the fact remains that the Matilda is really a decisive step down in quality vs. the Sherman… and the Brits actually used more Shermans than any other tank. I’d have been much happier if they’d chosen the Cromwell; it was at least not outclassed by the Sherman (not to mention nearly every German tank…)
Although I have only played a few games of AA50 a few things seem clear regardless of the scenario:
1. Chinamen vaporize faster than the humans In War of the Worlds…for a 1940 population of 455mil you have a better chance of finding a brontosaurus on the map by turn 3, possibly by turn 2 with the 41 scenario. Perhaps the spawn policy should be changed…maybe 1 for every 2 terr rounded up.
2. He/she who controls the Gaza strip rules the world…the strip between Egypt and India plays a major role in deciding the game. If this is in allied hands the russians can usually hold the Caucases… if not their position is tenuous. conversely,
3. Germans cannot live on a diet of sauerbraten alone… a little linguini and sushi help the digestion (of Russia) If the russian player is good I think it is difficult to do it with Germany alone. Just as russia need to hold out until the allies arrive Germany only needs to hold the front with/without Italy’s help until you can get double/triple penetration on cau/rus with Japan. Italy can either support france freeing the huns for eastward movement or shuttle thru Istanbul Btw, I think closed Dardanelles is for pussies.
4. NOs…I don’t know. The axis NOs are more easily obtained but I certainly like the extra 5 I get in russia for no foreigners as it lets me squeeze an armor in here and there.
5. Pocket change…whenever I have a few extra scheckles I find myself buying subs particularly in a no tech game. Its like a boxer with a good jab. keeps the Japs out of the Americans face, also good for the Med.
6. Advantage who…are the axis really favored??? I am currently plaing a gencom rules game where axis recieved a bid. Maybe this is to offset the allied VC
advantage with an 8 turn / 6 hour limit an no NOs I’d like to know peoples thoughts on who is favored and why