Building a custom board, need advise on changes

• Hello! I’ve been lurking the forums for a while and figured it was time to make an account!
    A buddy and I are avid 1942 2nd edition players. I’ve been getting into woodworking lately and decided to build a custom map. So I’ve just started planning and carving some of the continents and I wanted to see if there are any obvious changes or custom setups that I should be aware of.

1 change is putting GB at 31 IPC’s like they are supposed to be.

Are there any map, rule or general design changes that you would recommend?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

• Just as a general suggestion: if you’re going to the trouble of carving the map out of wood, it might be a good idea to limit the actual woodwork to the most basic elements (country shapes and names), without carving into the wood the kinds of details (like IPC values) that might potentially be subject to adjustment under house rules or other types of setup changes.  Those details could be added via easily-changeable elements such as stickers.  A more elaborate version of this idea would be to have a small hole in each country, into which you could drop a replaceable wooden cylinder (made by sawing dowels, to a length that would be flush with the map surface) which has an IPC value written on it.  If you decide that a country needs to change its IPC value, you just extract its dowel with something sticky like adhesive tape (make sure the dowel isn’t too tight in size) and replace it with a new one.

• @CWO:

Just as a general suggestion: if you’re going to the trouble of carving the map out of wood, it might be a good idea to limit the actual woodwork to the most basic elements (country shapes and names), without carving into the wood the kinds of details (like IPC values) that might potentially be subject to adjustment under house rules or other types of setup changes.

Right, definitely don’t want to carve the lettering and numbers. My original plan was to do an iron on ink transfer before I poly the whole thing, but now I’ll look at options for changeable IPC Values. Thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m