• My great grandfather fought in WWI as part of the Army Air Corps. Family tradition says that his unit suffered close to 50% casualties in training alone! Granted most of them weren’t fatalities, but still pretty crazy. The photo series of the air war motivated me to try to find out more about my great grandpappy, his unit, and what they did in WWI.

My grandfather served in the Army during Korea and came back with shrapnel in his hip and knee from a mortar round, both injuries still give him trouble to this day.

My father pursued missionary work in his younger years instead of heading into the service. But he now works as a TSA agent while my aunt works for the border patrol. Not quite military, but still in Federal service.

I served 8 years in the Army and came back in one piece from Iraq before I got out. And now my younger brother has recently joined the Navy and will soon see service on a submarine, not my cup of tea thank you very much!

You could say that my family has a tradition of the military. Although my brother went Navy and betrayed us all after 3 generations of Army!  :x  :-P

• Part 7 “War at Sea” is out
    http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/wwisea/

Some pretty interesting pictures in there. Interesting to see the various ship designs during WWI as technology and thinking progressed. And whoa, U-35! 224 ships were sunk by U-35 for over a half a million tons of shipping sunk. The most successful sub to ever sail. And she was still in action when the war ended . .  . 224-0 is a pretty impressive record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-35_(Germany)

• Great collection of naval photographs.  I love the one of the cat strolling on top of a 15-inch naval gun.

• Thank you for introducing the article about U35. They are fantastic figures for shipping sunk.
    A pity U Boats and the power they represent are not properly represented in our A&A game.

• @wittmann:

Thank you for introducing the article about U35. They are fantastic figures for shipping sunk.
    A pity U Boats and the power they represent are not properly represented in our A&A game.

The U35 was an amazing ship. Most of it’s kills were by its deck gun.

• Once again the photos were great. Wish my favorite commander was mentioned in this list, the  honorable Graf Spee commander of the German East Squadron.

• @ABWorsham:

@wittmann:

Thank you for introducing the article about U35. They are fantastic figures for shipping sunk.

Thank you for answering my (unasked) query.
    I could not see how it could have sunk so many ships in just one month when it only carried 6 torpedoes. It was the 88 then.

• @wittmann:

I could not see how it could have sunk so many ships in just one month when it only carried 6 torpedoes.

In the movie Destination Tokyo, Cary Grant plays a submarine skipper who describes to his first officer a dream in which he sank the entire Japanese fleet with a single torpedo (he weaves his hand back and forth and says “billiard shot”).

• @wittmann:

@ABWorsham:

@wittmann:

Thank you for answering my (unasked) query.
    I could not see how it could have sunk so many ships in just one month when it only carried 6 torpedoes. It was the 88 then.

A good many of U-35 victims were smaller vessels under 100 tons. These could be sunk by simply boarding and setting the ship ablaze.

• Thank you Worsham. That explains a lot.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m