As the setup stands, Euro40 and Pac40 individually favor the Axis, but when put together - Global 40 - it favors the Allies. Here’s why:
a. 18 Soviet infantry + 1ANZAC infantry- no matter how you slice it, that’s an extra $57 of material for the Allies.
b. Spatial equity- if the US can cross the larger Atlantic quickly with so much cash (after DOW of course), Japan should have the ability to cross a longer spaced Asia in the same time with a little bit less cash, but…it doesn’t.
Advantage: Allies slightly
c. 9 extra IPCs for USSR that doesn’t even appear in Pac40 only but in Global. Yes, in Europe, you get the 2inf rule from Novo, but it takes you 9 rounds to just break even with what you start with in having the 18inf, plus you can now buy 3 inf per round with the extra IPC’s so the Novo Euro40 rule doesn’t quite wash out the extra 9 IPCs you get in Global.
Advantage: Allies slightly
d. The US makes $17 (+40 at DOW)- Pac 40,
$35 (+30 at DOW)- Euro 40
$52 (+30 at DOW)- Global 40
The bonus cash is toned down a little in Global (spread over 2 theaters) the problem is that in Global that $82 at DOW can be spent in either theatre. Players will tend to throw all the money into Pacific or all into Europe in a KGF or KJF strategy. $82 is a lot of cash to spend in one theatre. That’s OK if the Axis can match that somehow by compensating that by dominating the other side of the board.
Advantage: undecided (as I think more playtesting is needed into further rounds).
Although changes for Pac40 are good (I assume their might be some changes to Euro40 as well) they don’t seem to mesh well with Global40 because of the mentioned issues. Global40 is truly a different animal than the individual games… and because of the mentioned issues, the Global Game favors the Allies- so 1 or more of the suggestions below should balance that out a little more:
Some Ideas and/or Solutions for Global40 only:
1. Beef up the Alpha setup slightly for Japan in Global only-possibly with a few more mech inf (fast moving minor land units)- maybe starting in Japan- make that player move them out.
2. NO for the US should possibly be +20 (or +25) at DOW for Global instead of +30, forcing the US to be a little more resourceful.
3. Also, I think that the victory conditions for both Axis and Allies should be changed from “captured for a round of play” –-> “captured immediately”. This helps Axis out a little more than Allies.
4. Also, for the sake of balancing issue- apply the “optional” German sub Convoy rule- 3 IPC convoy destruction per sub.
5. Still add 2inf for the UK on England to balance that Sealion assualt (It will still be German advantage but not as much).
I wanna playtest these somehow, so if anybody wants to do that on ABattlemap, let me know.
Larry did suggest that there may be a small tweak to the Europe setup- “something to help England’s initial defense” (like 2 more infantry), but he said it was really too early to tell right now, the setup may not need anything. Also, he said there may be a small tweak in ALPHA too- maybe- so get used to that being the new setup for Japan.