• Are there any new units or special units specific to certain countries you guys would like to see?  I would like to see p-51s, halftracks, tiger tanks and stuff.

• I would like to see p-51s, halftracks, tiger tanks and stuff.

Halftracks pieces form mechanized (armored ) infantry
    Tiger tanks are heavy tanks
    p-51 are fighters and also fighters with LRA capabilities…

so to answer your question we have all of these, but we dont get into specifics whereas the piece identifies that.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d like cheap fighters and half/carriers.

For instance:

Carrier Squadrons could cost 8 IPC, attack at a 2, defend at a 3.

Half Carriers cost 8, carry 1 carrier squadron

Cruisers would be nice too.  Reduce destroyers to cost 8, att 2, def, 2.  Make cruisers cost 12, att 3, def 3, get shore bombardment without needing the technology for it.

Meanwhile, since we’re on the subject, I want to see changes to the standard units too!

Armor: Cost 5, Att 2, Def 3
    Fighters: Cost 10, att 3, def 3, can land on newly conquered land if it was yours at the start of the game.
    Bombers: Cost 10, att 4, def 2, SBR (1d6)/2 per bomber.  Heavy bombers do 1d6 on SBR
    AA Guns: 1 AA gun hits on a 1, 2 AA guns hit on a 2.  No benefit for 3 or more AA guns.
    Submarines: roll 1d6 before fighter attack, on a roll of 2 or less you can submerge before enemy fighters/bombers can attack you. (does not function when enemy naval vessels are present.)
    Battleships: When damaged battleships attack at a 3, defend at a 3, cost 1d6 to repair

• Carrier Squadrons could cost 8 IPC, attack at a 2, defend at a 3.

we’ve made just that!
    its important to not let FTR swiftly change between land and carrier combat

only NAV (Naval Fighter) can land on carriers
    it is cheaper (8 IPC)
    reduced combat values, reduced range

Cruisers

yep we also a CA (Heavy Cruiser) at 15 IPC
    it has strongest antiair, followed by BB (Battleship) and then CV (Carrier) + DD (Destroyers)

@tekkyy:

Carrier Squadrons could cost 8 IPC, attack at a 2, defend at a 3.

we’ve made just that!
    its important to not let FTR swiftly change between land and carrier combat

only NAV (Naval Fighter) can land on carriers
    it is cheaper (8 IPC)
    reduced combat values, reduced range

Cruisers

yep we also a CA (Heavy Cruiser) at 15 IPC
    it has strongest antiair, followed by BB (Battleship) and then CV (Carrier) + DD (Destroyers)

You know the stats, off hand?  I’ve had these units for a long time, even from classic.  Though, we re-wrote the entire air to air combat rules and naval combat rules. (defending fighters moved to engage attacking fighters BEFORE the main battle started, any remaining fighters could then defend or attack as usual….cost a LOT more in way of fighter damage!)

edit:  Amoung many many many other changes.  Same air to air rules for land combat, etc.  We also said defending air power could retreat after the first round of engagement. (Seeings as they’re now airborne.)

• you need to check out the draft for the stats

yes more costly fighter damage
    but dogfighting values are less than normal “bombing” values
    its important for realism, opposing air units just can’t have a good time doing their own respective bombing

as for retreat all defending units can retreat after one cycle

• what about paratrooping,like have an airunit that acts like a transporter. it obliviously wouldn’t carry tanks, but how many actual units does each piece represent. like battleships probably represent one battleship each but what about the other units like infantry or destroyers.

• For paratroopers you can have a new unit, or simply let bombers (or Heavy Bomber) transport Infantry.

As for unit representation I think each land unit is a division.
    So 1 infantry piece = 1 infantry division (10,000-20,000 troops.)
    1 tank piece might be 5000 tanks.
    And 1 fighter piece might be 1000 planes.

The proportions aren’t prefectly realistic of course.
    Most incorrect being Carrier / Planes combination.

1 carrier piece carries 2 fighter pieces.
    But in reality one fleet carrier can only take 50-100 planes.

Japan only had 10 aircraft carriers at beginning of WWII.
    The game represents that with 3 carrier pieces.
    So each carrier piece is like 3 aircraft carriers, carrying maximum of 300 planes (which isn’t 6 air divisions).

• yea and that why naval planes are totally seperate from land based fighters… its a problem of scale and utility. They didnt use japanese torpedo pilots ( very skilled) to bomb china and support mainland asia… they were only utilized in the capacity of their training.

If you’re going to use paratroopers, I think you need a whole new aircraft.  Make it cost 8 IPC and carry 2 infantry or 1 tank 3 spaces (allowing for 3 spaces to return.  4 with LRA.  This is still 6/8 with LRA, but it’s a bit more restricted in that they have to have 3 movement points left to return at the end of their leg.  Call it time to line up on the LZ so htat the troops can be assured of landing in the right spot or whatever.)

• @Jennifer:

Make it cost 8 IPC and carry 2 infantry or 1 tank 3 spaces (allowing for 3 spaces to return.  4 with LRA.

i think that is a good idea and they could land on carriers. so transports can carry them 2 spaces then the aircraft could carry another 3. antiaircraft guns could fire at them and fighters could defend the terrortoy that the plane is trying to land in for one cycle of combat, if it is not all ready defending. it would be a 0/1 like transports

• No new units are needed to carry paratroopers. This varient is not about 100 different units all with a singular purpose. No sharpshooters, no frogmen, no nazi UFO’s, no bombers that only transport paratroopers, no glider units, none of that rubbish. WE concentrate on basics and try to maximize the impact that the units that allready come with the game can have but with a few additional units 3-5 that only fix major unit deficiancies

SS Panzers
    heavy artillery or heavy tanks
    divebombers ( fighter-bombers)
    cruisers
    mechanized infantry

thats it.

• Yeah many varients has lots of new units, but here we only want to model units there were deployed widely, on a division level. Not a commando squad for example.

Infantry transport plane landing on carrier? Were any transporters carrier capable in WWII?

@Jennifer:

allowing for 3 spaces to return. 4 with LRA. This is still 6/8 with LRA

yep we use the 50% air movement rule standard on air units
    say with a fighter
    you can no longer start at Norway, attack Karelia, and land Evenki National Okrug (or even Soviet Far East with LRA lol)

I know this post is old but You gots to have paratroopers, everybody had them in one way or another. They are the sh*t.
    Most of the people on this forum i’m sure has a couple different copies of this game. Alot of you probably have the original game. Use those pieces.

Paratroopers cost 4 ipc’s they are a 2-3. Paratroopers cannot be moved except by transport plane.

Transport plane Cost 8 move 4, They are a 0-1- May transport or deploy 2 paratroopers or transport 2 reg inf.
    During non combat if there is a paratrooper in range and has done nothing as well with a available transport, the transport may fly out and pick up the trooper for later deployment. Long range aircraft applies to air transports also move 6. Bombers Can carry 0 paratrooper’s because they were not built for that. Imagine the 101’st jumping en masse into normandy in B-17 flying fortress ,LOL, or even a JU 88’s dumping a load of Fallschirmjaeger all over crete, that Poo is funny! AA shoots as normal and if transportplane is a casualty the paratroopers die also

Put this in as a tech roll or something they go as a package

• Yeah we had ideas for paratroopers too.
    Just that they weren’t hugely successful and not too many “corps” level deployment.

Yeah indeed idea was to use original game pieces for the new optional units. Those who don’t have the original game just buy another copy of revised. It’ll probably have slightly different dye colour anyway  :evil: :-D

Why can’t paratroopers move on their own?
    And it would be a lot to have to use another game piece to explicitly represent transport planes.
    How about implicitly represent transport planes in each paratrooper unit?

Although we could find a use for the transport planes. Currently in AARHE you can’t “transport” IPCs through enemy territories. Maybe transport planes can attempt to carry IPCs through hostile territories.

1 They can’t move because they would take the place of arty and i do not want to see that happen, same cost higher def. value.
    2 Use the Inf. from original Axis and allies as your new troopers and use the old bombers as transports, I know C-47’s didn’t have 4 engines but at least it is definatly identifiable
    3. I love para troopers as england o what fun one can have!

• By the way when I said
    “Just that they weren’t hugely successful and not too many “corps” level deployment.”

I meant historic context.

I know that is why they should be a tech roll and not just another unit u get.

• or an optional unit

how much was it used in the war?
    wasn’t Operation Market Garden the biggest paradrop and it failed?

• Failure shouldn’t mean, that they are not worthy enough to be in the game, maybe you will use them better then the leaders in WWII. Germany used them in Norway, Holland, Belgium and Crete. US and UK in Sicilly, Italy, France, Holland, Germany and some in the Pacific. Japan used them mainly with the invasion of Borneo and the Dutch East Indies.

But use the bomber, instead of a new transport plane?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m